Welcome to Gaia! ::

Can non-Japanese draw art in the manga/anime style and have it be manga/anime?

Total Votes:[ 0 ]
This poll closed on May 22, 2004.
No longer accepting new votes.
< 1 2 3 ... 17 18 19 >

Yilei
Being Japanese or not has nothing to do with it. I think that girl is vastly misinformed or did it to make herself feel like she was better than you. If you look at the casts of Japanese anime, one would see that on staff they have a lot of Koreans. Usually it seems to be cel painting jobs, but even Koreans and Chinese people also have their own types of animation that are drawn in a similar style and *also* called anime by some fans. Anime is really just any kind of animation or any kind of "cartoon" because the word anime is only a shorthand term for animation. I have some old anime magazines and in the TV listings section, they have Ameircan cartoons also listed like X-men and sometimes Disney.

I agree with you. It makes a lot of sense. I just wish that more people could understand these sorts of things.
Anyone can draw anything. Look at doujinshi. Lot's of it looks like authentic manga, but it isn't manga, it's doujinshi. Anyone can do anything if they're taught right, or have the talent.
ChibiComadreja
i think you should draw in whatever style you like ^^
nationality is the lest important thing :3

hmm..isnt Dirty Pair Flash by an american guy? thats what i heard. and its anime :'3

I heard that myself. i wonder if it's true. I love that series.

Eloquent Entrepreneur

12,000 Points
  • Bunny Hoarder 150
  • Entrepreneur 150
  • Elocutionist 200
Mirage-Knight

I agree with you. It makes a lot of sense. I just wish that more people could understand these sorts of things.

3nodding Well, usually the people who don't are misinformed n00bs that want to make themselves sound special or higher than everyone else. That seems to be my experience. "Anime" is only a different word implying Japanese animation mostly because Americans are used to calling animation "cartoons", so the Japanese word for the same medium became tokened to mean the Japanese style. A lot of other countries use the same style though, so it's really a sad misnomer (sp?) and the Japanese aren't even the *only* country to call animation anime. The French happen to naturally call it that as well. Some people just aren't sadly mature enough to realize these things and only end up making themselves look foolish. sweatdrop
Ikkyou_Okonote
now, anyone can draw comics even if they're not jpanese.....take megatokyo for example! sweatdrop

Yeah. Fred does such a good job at that too. It's amazing.
I think everyone should, i mean, i've got two friends that aren't japanese and they draw really good
No, Japanese people deserve to have their own style on their own.
Things like Code Lyoko and Totally Spies...
just s**t... stressed
Yilei
Mirage-Knight

3nodding Well, usually the people who don't are misinformed n00bs that want to make themselves sound special or higher than everyone else. That seems to be my experience. "Anime" is only a different word implying Japanese animation mostly because Americans are used to calling animation "cartoons", so the Japanese word for the same medium became tokened to mean the Japanese style. A lot of other countries use the same style though, so it's really a sad misnomer (sp?) and the Japanese aren't even the *only* country to call animation anime. The French happen to naturally call it that as well. Some people just aren't sadly mature enough to realize these things and only end up making themselves look foolish. sweatdrop

Yeah. I understand that. My school is filled with closed minded, racist and opinionated people. They don't understand at all. I was just wondering if the rest of the world was the same in their opinions. Thank you.
As being Japanese myself, and having seen quite some Japanese Anime and American Cartoons.. I find that the difference is not how it's drawn, but their sense of taste..

I mean... having experienced anime and cartoon from both sides.. and if you were to ask me to compare them, I'd like anime much better than cartoons.. but not because of some cultural pride or.. whatever people say. x_X I really don't care about how people judges others by their race.

Anyway, back to the point, how it's drawn can be easily imitated, but the content itself seems to be very different..

Take Teen Titans for example, as it is the only closest thing to an Anime that I know of. They use the same type of techniques, like cute image of them in those "yelling and putting down someone" kinda scene, and.. quite a few camera angles at times.

What's different is.. perhaps attitude. The way how Japanese people and American people react to some things differ by the average character's attitudes. Second, jokes. The type of jokes that Animes and Cartoons make are pretty different, including Teen Titans. And... perhaps, the type of audiences they are aiming for. Quite a lot Animes have certain types of audiences they are aiming for, but.. they make it so that most of them grabs attention from.. types of people from two different categories. It's that certain kind of thing that gets a firm grasp of interest to the audiences.. And.. as for Teen Titans.. It seems to be widely concentrated on a younger age range, I believe.. Widely Concentrated as in.. doesn't get a firm hold of the audiences for too long.. Me being one.. and.. unlike a few anime, where both kids and adults may watch, Teen Titans just seems to be for an age range of pre-teens to.. x_x I don't know. Mid-late teens? Where I am, I guess..

Well.. Just saying that it's not only the artistic form that determines whether it can be considered as an Anime or a Cartoon.
i say yes, but the japanese are usualy better at it soo ppl who cant live up to the standads set they shouldnt even bother

Bashful Genius

Personally i think anyone can draw anime...just not copy from the current anime styles and claim it as their own you know? but whatever i mean i invent my own anime stuff and one day i will get it to be a real show like the other anime shows.....he he he lol i mean...
Locke Trufeld
As being Japanese myself, and having seen quite some Japanese Anime and American Cartoons.. I find that the difference is not how it's drawn, but their sense of taste..

I mean... having experienced anime and cartoon from both sides.. and if you were to ask me to compare them, I'd like anime much better than cartoons.. but not because of some cultural pride or.. whatever people say. x_X I really don't care about how people judges others by their race.

Anyway, back to the point, how it's drawn can be easily imitated, but the content itself seems to be very different..

Take Teen Titans for example, as it is the only closest thing to an Anime that I know of. They use the same type of techniques, like cute image of them in those "yelling and putting down someone" kinda scene, and.. quite a few camera angles at times.

What's different is.. perhaps attitude. The way how Japanese people and American people react to some things differ by the average character's attitudes. Second, jokes. The type of jokes that Animes and Cartoons make are pretty different, including Teen Titans. And... perhaps, the type of audiences they are aiming for. Quite a lot Animes have certain types of audiences they are aiming for, but.. they make it so that most of them grabs attention from.. types of people from two different categories. It's that certain kind of thing that gets a firm grasp of interest to the audiences.. And.. as for Teen Titans.. It seems to be widely concentrated on a younger age range, I believe.. Widely Concentrated as in.. doesn't get a firm hold of the audiences for too long.. Me being one.. and.. unlike a few anime, where both kids and adults may watch, Teen Titans just seems to be for an age range of pre-teens to.. x_x I don't know. Mid-late teens? Where I am, I guess..

Well.. Just saying that it's not only the artistic form that determines whether it can be considered as an Anime or a Cartoon.

Excellent point. I think that the attitude is also a major factor in this as well. You have some very valid points. It's interesting to know what others think about this. Thank you for postiong your opinioon. It's very much appreciated.
dude u dont have to be from japan to draw good anime my friends cousin has her own published manga and it looks f*cking great!

Shy Saint

4,050 Points
  • Battle: Cleric 100
  • Timid 100
  • Somebody Likes You 100
Saying only Japanese people can draw manga-style is like saying only Italians could use Renaisannce technique.
i think anyone good at drawin anime/manga deserve to draw it and publish it if they're capable of doin so, but from what i've heard, if a non japanese person does make and actual japanimation anime of manga, it can be called japanimation, just inspired by w/e yur culture is!

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff