Welcome to Gaia! ::

Eloquent Humorist

11,675 Points
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Tycoon 200
Hey, have you guys heard about this anime called Knights of Sidonia? It's on Netflix right now, I'm three episodes in, and I swear to God, it's the most unintentionally funny show I've seen this year. So, humanity's being preserved on a giant space ship, ALA Wall-E, and it's basically a ship stuck inside of a giant rock. (Oh my god a giant rock!) Apparently there are people living in that rock(at least I assume that's what 'underground' means), like our main character, who spend the first episode falling into a hole, breaking two of his fingers, get caught, break free, scream about how he doesn't want to get recycled, get caught again, freak out at the sight of a man-bear, get hugged, and introduce himself to a classroom. After seeing him go through so much, you'd think I'd know a single thing about him.

He was down there so long that he didn't know about two of mankind's newest evolutions... One, that some people are born genderless, and don't have a gender until they fall in love with someone, yes, the gender of the person they love will literally make them grow naughty parts of the opposite sex... And two, people are photosynthetic. Which of course would mean the ship has an Earthlike atmosphere, otherwise they'd just be gobbling up radiation. That's why people don't need to eat very often, and probably why they have a giant ******** saltwater ocean full of underwater creatures inside of the ship.

Three episodes in, the pace has been break-neck, information gets dumped for the sake of the audience in embarrassingly forced ways(The info about human photosynthesis is delivered in a college lecture, despite the fact that these people should have learned it when they were less than seven years old), and there are so many characters that the death toll is already at five, yet I can't remember any of their names. It's pretty hilariously awful. Like, we learn what a Ghana is a few minutes before we see one, and yeah, they're basically discount space TitanNeuroiAngels.

Has anybody else seen this yet?

Questionable Conversationalist

I've been meaning to check it out. I find it funny to see your review here and just yesterday my old anime club were talking about how good the series was and linking to reviews praising the show so much all I could think was "this sounds like a lot of asspats" but I'm not judging personally until I see it :'B

Already though the gender thing annoys me because of how freaking heteronormative that sounds.

It's been getting a lot of GKs though and exciting a lot of people, no idea why unless the people commenting just have a huge monster fetish or what but the monster designs seem interestingly grotesque...in figure form at least.
User Image

Eloquent Humorist

11,675 Points
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Tycoon 200
Milady Alluca
I've been meaning to check it out. I find it funny to see your review here and just yesterday my old anime club were talking about how good the series was and linking to reviews praising the show so much all I could think was "this sounds like a lot of asspats" but I'm not judging personally until I see it :'B

Already though the gender thing annoys me because of how freaking heteronormative that sounds.

It's been getting a lot of GKs though and exciting a lot of people, no idea why unless the people commenting just have a huge monster fetish or what but the monster designs seem interestingly grotesque...in figure form at least.
User Image

Yeah, that skeletal human design is one of the reasons I was calling them Titans. That, and the fact that "They can't be allowed to breach the outer wall." Then I watched episode four, and it turns out to beat them, you have to expose and attack the core. I can't figure out if they were ripping off Evangelion or Strike Witches with that one, but it's probably both.

Shy Seeker

I've been reading the manga for a while before the anime adaptation came out, and it has even more moments of that style of humour with Nagate Tanikaze being injured in various ways. And no, I'm pretty sure that humour isn't unintentional. The manga features it so often that it seems to be a purposeful theme.

I'm not sure why you're specifically comparing it to Attack on Titan since it's not so much breaching the wall as aliens attacking the ship, which is fairly standard in sci-fi shows in general. I would say that the feel of it isn't the same as AoT either since the main character (Tanikaze) isn't anything like the angry/angsty Eren from AoT.

As for some of the other things you've mentioned that I get the sense you're sort of mocking, I don't really agree, but some of this may be because the manga sometimes explains things a bit better than the show can. I'll detail each below.

Their ship being partly a "rock", as you put it, is because it both serves the function of continuous mining of the asteroid's resources and for protection since it's naturally pretty thick and obviously doesn't need to be built like how an artificial structure would be. However, I admit that one flaw to this idea might be that the thrusters would have a harder time accelerating such a ship/colony because of the sheer mass of the asteroid.

The whole Tanikaze not wanting to get caught and recycled part revolves around a somewhat gruesome system they have in place where the elderly at a certain point in life seem to be shuffled off to the organic recyclers, reactors, or something like that (I forget the exact word offhand). From my understanding, they've put this in place due to extreme stresses they've faced in the past and continuing on into the present. Certain resources are scarce, so they've basically enacted some severe population controls, both for explosive growth of the population originally after a massive loss of life during a past event and to avoid running out of resources in the present if the growth becomes too great. As I said, the concept certainly sounds awful and unethical, but there are plenty of sci-fi series out there that attempt to tackle some shocking societal possibilities.

There's also a major backstory as to why Tanikaze was down in the bowels of the ship away from others and the ruling structure, but that may not have been properly covered in the anime's first season (a second has been confirmed to be coming) because it only follows the first five and a half volumes of the manga. You definitely won't really understand that from the first three episodes, so don't judge that just yet at any rate. I won't explain exactly what the past story is right now to avoid spoilers, but I felt that it is a fairly understandable reason.

As to Lala Hiyama, the human-bear hybrid... Okay, I'll give you that one. It's on the weirder side of this series. I think part of her appearance is supposed to fit in with that odd sense of humour that the artist has; he often depicts himself as an insect in his short comics about his own life at the back of the books.

Regarding Izana Shinatose and the whole third gender thing, it was initially an interesting idea, but I admit that it could have been fleshed out better. Judging from what I've read of the manga so far (the first 10 volumes), it does sound like it works as you've described it: Shinatose's sex slowly starts to change according to who they are attracted to. How that works on a biological level exactly, I don't know. Unfortunately, the series so far hasn't really explained. I believe it was one of the last two volumes I'd read in which Shinatose has finally gone through some physical changes, but there weren't any details as to whether this occurs as an automatic process or if outside medical intervention is required to initiate a change to one of other two sexes. And yes, based on everything I've read, I've felt a little disappointment in that it could have raised more interesting questions about gender and sex but instead involves a fair amount of heteronormativity, traditional gender roles, etc.

I found the human photosynthesis part to be a unique concept, though. Again, like some of the stuff above, the manga later on details why this genetic change was put in place due to major problems in the past. I won't go into the specifics to avoid spoilers, but it's tied to the scarce resources that I mentioned earlier. People eating less could definitely ease that issue. However, if some of what makes it seem corny to you is the fairly abundant usage of girls and women sun-bathing as a form of fanservice, then I'm kind of with you on that. Despite that, I'm still intrigued by the idea. Whether this might actually be possible with genetic engineering by an advanced society... I don't know.

I'm not sure what you meant exactly by the Earth-like atmosphere and radiation parts. It seems rather obvious with a society living in space that they'd have breathable air inside the ship, and they could certainly find technological ways to block out forms of radiation that are from the harmful parts of the electromagnetic spectrum while letting through a certain amount of sunlight for people to photosynthesize with or just for lighting.

As for the ocean, it's again one of the series' wilder ideas, but it's perhaps not impossible considering how enormous their ship is and the fact that it's supposed to be a multi-generational colony. The ocean is displayed in the manga in relation to the main characters as a form of recreation, for viewing, etc., but I'm sure they'd have more practical uses for it too as a renewable source of food and perhaps some degree of atmospheric recycling if the ocean has a significant amount of algae in it. As with much of the above, there's some major backstory here as to why they'd have to build the ship as their long-term home similar to the Earth or any other habitable planet because they basically have nowhere else to go right now. Explaining would again involve spoilers.

I found the pacing to be generally okay considering it's supposed to be a sci-fi action series with moments of suspense, but this interpretation will vary from person to person of course. Regarding the photosynthesis lecture, I'm trying to recall which part that is. The one I'm thinking of right now isn't as you describe it, but it might be further along than where you are. The one I'm thinking of has a scientist (specifically not naming this character to avoid spoilers) in the past explaining why introducing human photosynthesis is necessary, and it actually makes some sense. If what you're referring to is in fact an earlier class lecture with Tanikaze in it, they may have covered the topic because Tanikaze is in the dark about this information and plenty of other things due to his growing up away from society. I vaguely recall no one else in the class being surprised at such things being mentioned in class probably precisely because they are already long used to these things. Tanikaze being out of the loop on this stuff kind of reinforces the above mentioned humour and the perception of him being an outsider trying to fit in.

Some of the information dump may seem worse in the anime adaptation because I do recall thinking that some informational stuff wasn't covered quite as well in the anime as I was watching it and comparing to what I'd read beforehand.

I don't think a high death toll is necessarily an indication of a series being bad either. If anything, it's a little unconventionally realistic. People die in wars, and the enemy they're facing is particularly difficult to the point that they're barely avoiding annihilation. Some of the dead characters aren't main characters, but that often happens in shows ("red shirts" dying essentially). That might explain why you can't remember some of these characters' names.

As for the Gauna (the alien race they're fighting), yes, some of the concepts involved have certainly been done before, like having cores that have to be penetrated to and then destroyed in specific ways or alien races that have a habit of making quick adaptations, and creatures with tentacles or tendrils are certainly nothing new in several different genres, including sci-fi. I didn't personally find this to ruin the fun of the series even if it's not entirely original, though.

Anyways, as a whole, I've enjoyed both the manga and the anime adaptation, so I'm a bit saddened that you don't care for it so far. I will say that with where I currently am in the manga, I've found that it seems to have worn some things a little thin and feels to me that it may have slid downwards a bit in terms of the excitement, interesting new concepts, mystery, and suspense from where it was at with that climactic Gauna-asteroid mission which they fittingly used for the anime's final arc. However, all of that is beyond what the first 12 episodes of the anime covers and doesn't reflect it as such. I'm hoping that maybe a little more of the series will make sense to you once you've finished all of the episodes.

I should also note that the CGI bugged me a bit, particularly with characters' faces sometimes. It works pretty well for the outer space stuff with the mecha, ship, and virtually anything non-human (and/or non-bear ^^; ). I know they went with the CGI to save on costs, though, and I'm fine with that rather than no adaptation at all.

Eloquent Humorist

11,675 Points
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Tycoon 200
GuardianCentauri

I think you're misunderstanding me... I am genuinely enjoying this series. I love it so far. It's like watching a little kid play with a bunch of mis-matched outer space toys, enjoying himself so much that he doesn't stop to think about whether the story he's creating makes any sense or has any coherency to it.

He picks one of his figures, calls it the main character. He then picks up four other figures, calls them the best fighters in the army, and has a giant monster toy kill them, just so his favorite figure can quickly and easily kill the giant monster, proving just how awesome that figure is in comparison to the others. He doesn't think things through, he doesn't slow down to emotionally develop anybody... He just does things. It's kinda like Heroic Age, only it's somehow not pissing me off.

I mean, Sidonia has tiny escape pods that somehow carry 60 days of oxygen, but Heroic Age has it's main character literally dig a hole in the side of the ship without creating an air breach, so... Point to Sidonia. By the way, speaking of that escape pod, one of the girls absorbed sunlight right through the glass. Glass. Clear glass. I don't know how it was able to filter all of that radiation, but it did.

If I were to take this anime even a fraction as seriously as it was taking itself, I'd have turned it off by now.

Shy Seeker

The Fullmetal Narcissist
I think you're misunderstanding me... I am genuinely enjoying this series. I love it so far. It's like watching a little kid play with a bunch of mis-matched outer space toys, enjoying himself so much that he doesn't stop to think about whether the story he's creating makes any sense or has any coherency to it.

He picks one of his figures, calls it the main character. He then picks up four other figures, calls them the best fighters in the army, and has a giant monster toy kill them, just so his favorite figure can quickly and easily kill the giant monster, proving just how awesome that figure is in comparison to the others. He doesn't think things through, he doesn't slow down to emotionally develop anybody... He just does things. It's kinda like Heroic Age, only it's somehow not pissing me off.

I mean, Sidonia has tiny escape pods that somehow carry 60 days of oxygen, but Heroic Age has it's main character literally dig a hole in the side of the ship without creating an air breach, so... Point to Sidonia. By the way, speaking of that escape pod, one of the girls absorbed sunlight right through the glass. Glass. Clear glass. I don't know how it was able to filter all of that radiation, but it did.

If I were to take this anime even a fraction as seriously as it was taking itself, I'd have turned it off by now.

Oh okay, sorry. sweatdrop I'm glad you're having fun with it after all. ^_^

I do agree with some of that. It's certainly true that he doesn't deeply develop his characters on an emotional level, but I've accepted that as being typical for this kind of shounen action story. It also seems to fit with other reviewers' depictions of his style with this and past series he's done. I would, however, say that I think he actually does think a little bit in at least initially coming up with unique ideas (like the human photosynthesizing). I wouldn't hold it against him if those ideas don't have all their details fully explained since he's an artist rather than a scientist hypothesizing how such things might actually work far beyond our current technological level.

As for the escape pod with the 60 days of oxygen, I would guess that the pod must have some form of air recycling to convert the carbon dioxide they exhale back into oxygen, similar to how the manga displays their suits recycling the water from their pee.

Regarding the pod's "glass", it's possible that's not glass (even if they untechnically refer to it as "glass"... I don't remember if they do). One of the problems with glass that both sci-fi writers and scientists have pondered for a long time is that it's really not very durable for the purposes of space travel in the long run because of how much damage even micrometeoroids can cause when flying at relatively fast speeds. Star Trek at one point came up with the idea of "transparent aluminum" as a replacement. Whether that actually makes any sense or is remotely possible in its specifics, I don't know, but I guess I'm just throwing out the general possibility that an advanced space-faring society would probably have to come up with durable compounds which might include some clear substances to act similar to how glass does in our current society. Such potential substances might also be able to filter out certain bands of the electromagnetic spectrum; I recall reading about how NASA actually currently uses certain types of plastics that can block out some forms of and/or certain levels of radiation for their astronauts' living quarters in orbit or to build a more fortified shelter in the case of an emergency involving a wave of heavier radiation than the norm coming at them. As I said, he's an artist, so I'm not expecting all these scientific particulars to be totally fleshed out (although when an author does with some scientific knowledge, it's certainly all the more awesome - Carl Sagan, anyone? :3). I can imagine to some degree the potential possibilities of how some of these things might work... Sci-fi generally requires some abandonment of what's currently possible and to imagine a bit.

And sorry, I realize I've probably over-thought some of what you've said again, but I personally find some of these ideas fascinating because they make me think about things in terms of what might or might not be attainable with real science.

I'm totally with you about Heroic Age. I had major problems with that show and have always wondered why people rate it as highly as they do. x_x

Salty Gawker

Welcome to last ******** year ago.

Also it becomes a harem later. There, your expectations are broken.

Eloquent Humorist

11,675 Points
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Tycoon 200
Gunzstray

Broken? On the contrary, you've just made me want to watch the rest of it.

If you don't see me again, it's because I laughed myself into a heart-attack by the end.

Eloquent Humorist

11,675 Points
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Tycoon 200
GuardianCentauri
The Fullmetal Narcissist

Oh okay, sorry. sweatdrop I'm glad you're having fun with it after all. ^_^

I do agree with some of that. It's certainly true that he doesn't deeply develop his characters on an emotional level, but I've accepted that as being typical for this kind of shounen action story. It also seems to fit with other reviewers' depictions of his style with this and past series he's done. I would, however, say that I think he actually does think a little bit in at least initially coming up with unique ideas (like the human photosynthesizing). I wouldn't hold it against him if those ideas don't have all their details fully explained since he's an artist rather than a scientist hypothesizing how such things might actually work far beyond our current technological level.

As for the escape pod with the 60 days of oxygen, I would guess that the pod must have some form of air recycling to convert the carbon dioxide they exhale back into oxygen, similar to how the manga displays their suits recycling the water from their pee.

Regarding the pod's "glass", it's possible that's not glass (even if they untechnically refer to it as "glass"... I don't remember if they do). One of the problems with glass that both sci-fi writers and scientists have pondered for a long time is that it's really not very durable for the purposes of space travel in the long run because of how much damage even micrometeoroids can cause when flying at relatively fast speeds. Star Trek at one point came up with the idea of "transparent aluminum" as a replacement. Whether that actually makes any sense or is remotely possible in its specifics, I don't know, but I guess I'm just throwing out the general possibility that an advanced space-faring society would probably have to come up with durable compounds which might include some clear substances to act similar to how glass does in our current society. Such potential substances might also be able to filter out certain bands of the electromagnetic spectrum; I recall reading about how NASA actually currently uses certain types of plastics that can block out some forms of and/or certain levels of radiation for their astronauts' living quarters in orbit or to build a more fortified shelter in the case of an emergency involving a wave of heavier radiation than the norm coming at them. As I said, he's an artist, so I'm not expecting all these scientific particulars to be totally fleshed out (although when an author does with some scientific knowledge, it's certainly all the more awesome - Carl Sagan, anyone? :3). I can imagine to some degree the potential possibilities of how some of these things might work... Sci-fi generally requires some abandonment of what's currently possible and to imagine a bit.

And sorry, I realize I've probably over-thought some of what you've said again, but I personally find some of these ideas fascinating because they make me think about things in terms of what might or might not be attainable with real science.

I'm totally with you about Heroic Age. I had major problems with that show and have always wondered why people rate it as highly as they do. x_x

Moving these issues aside, I'm impressed by how much you can write on a whim. If you ever write a multi-page review on anything, let me know, and I'd love to use it as guest work on my blog.

Shy Seeker

The Fullmetal Narcissist
Moving these issues aside, I'm impressed by how much you can write on a whim. If you ever write a multi-page review on anything, let me know, and I'd love to use it as guest work on my blog.

Aww, well thank you for the offer. Unfortunately, I'm not sure if I could ever write reviews on a continual basis or purposefully sheduled to do so. I'm the kind of person who tends to feel most motivated to do some things erratically on a whim, as you said. And then I lose interest again and need to seek out something else. sweatdrop

I also sometimes have a hard time putting my finger on what I liked or disliked about a series and stress over how to convey my feelings as thoughts, so it tends to be rarer moments when I can write like the above and the .hack//SIGN and Claymore stuff recently.

Gunzstray

Better late than never. I don't think there's anything wrong with people talking about older series, especially when one year old isn't really all that old compared to all anime out there.

I utterly confirm your second statement, though. It was becoming more and more apparent in the manga when I was reading it. I really need to get around to reading the 11th volume that I bought a while ago, but I'm on the fence at this point on whether I'll continue with this series past that point.

Salty Gawker

GuardianCentauri
The Fullmetal Narcissist

Aww, well thank you for the offer. Unfortunately, I'm not sure if I could ever write reviews on a continual basis or purposefully sheduled to do so. I'm the kind of person who tends to feel most motivated to do some things erratically on a whim, as you said. And then I lose interest again and need to seek out something else. sweatdrop

I also sometimes have a hard time putting my finger on what I liked or disliked about a series and stress over how to convey my feelings as thoughts, so it tends to be rarer moments when I can write like the above and the .hack//SIGN and Claymore stuff recently.

Gunzstray

Better late than never. I don't think there's anything wrong with people talking about older series, especially when one year old isn't really all that old compared to all anime out there.

I utterly confirm your second statement, though. It was becoming more and more apparent in the manga when I was reading it. I really need to get around to reading the 11th volume that I bought a while ago, but I'm on the fence at this point on whether I'll continue with this series past that point.

how the ******** can you not like the harem stuff?

Shy Seeker

Gunzstray
how the ******** can you not like the harem stuff?

In case you weren't being sarcastic and/or for anyone else around who might ask the question seriously, it's just not my thing. Harems also tend not to be very realistic. I mean, few guys are ever that popular, and many characters in such a position really don't have much to make them special enough to warrant attention from so many female characters.

To varying degrees depending on the example, I also despise how the female characters are often depicted with submissive behaviour towards the male character who is generally treated as the master to take care of everyone and who can apparently provide most or all of the answers to advice-seeking and solve most/all problems. After a while, it just seems so obviously a reflection of societal sexism and how parts of the industry are catering to male egos who only wish they could be in such a position. Although it wouldn't fix all the issues inherent with them, if there was at least more of a balance between male-centered harems with the reverse, I probably wouldn't be quite as bothered by their prominence.

Besides, I generally find series to be more interesting when characters pair up into non-harem relationships because then there are more couples overall with their own distinct dynamics and issues that can sometimes add more emotional depth.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff