Welcome to Gaia! ::

Have you ever had any problems with bad subtitles? (Bad sentence structure, grammar, etc.)?

Total Votes:[ 0 ]
This poll closed on July 4, 2004.
No longer accepting new votes.
1 2 3 >

I bought .hack//SIGN on DVD recently, and tried to watch an episode I had already seen in Japanese with English subtitles. Unfortunately, the subtitles were horrible. Spelling errors and sentence structure problems were rife, and they inexplicably changed the names of certain characters.
It ruined what I think is a wonderful series!

Have you guys ever seen any travesties of subtitling? Or is it just me?
Oh my gosh. I buy a lot of anime DVDs that haven't been realsed in the USA. I get them shipped staright from Japan, and at a fair price too. It's a really good deal, but it's so funny, because you can tell the english subtitles must have been done by some Japanese dude who barley knows any english at all. XP Anime like Kino No Tabi and D.N. Angel, or the Inuyasha movies. The subtitles suck so bad. But I just deal with it cause I'm glad that I even have those kind of things. sweatdrop
I don't read animes, I watch them. That's why I watch dubs instead.
Ahhhh.....the Oh!My Goddess Movie was soo good but HORRIBLE SUBTILTLE ALRERT! Celestial (I found his name out on the internet) was Mit-Fox! So many mistakes.....can't they do them right for a change?And the Inu Yasha movie EVEN WORSE!(I havn't seen it ) I hear rumors that Kikyo is called Orange!Werid! eek
My Gunparade march and Marmalade Boy subtitles are off! It sometimes is hard to figure out whats going on!...I wish I new Japanese lol
Sometimes dubs can be horrible.They totally meesed up the Oh!My Goddess dub with voices that SO did not match there personality.Trust me...ive almost read the the whole series.The Serial Experiment Lain dub was awesome tho.I noticed that Racca and Lains english voices are the same....and both those series r by Yotoshi ABe...Interesting....Very Interesting...... whee
Serial Experiment Lain
Sometimes dubs can be horrible.They totally meesed up the Oh!My Goddess dub with voices that SO did not match there personality.Trust me...ive almost read the the whole series.The Serial Experiment Lain dub was awesome tho.I noticed that Racca and Lains english voices are the same....and both those series r by Yotoshi ABe...Interesting....Very Interesting...... whee

I know that sometimes dubs can be horrible. That's why I made this thread, because I want to see how bad subtitles can get.
Tsuki00
Oh my gosh. I buy a lot of anime DVDs that haven't been realsed in the USA. I get them shipped staright from Japan, and at a fair price too. It's a really good deal, but it's so funny, because you can tell the english subtitles must have been done by some Japanese dude who barley knows any english at all.

I was thinking the same thing. At least .hack//SIGN has a good dub.
A lot of fansubs I've seen were done by some chinese people... there have been some rather humorous mistakes... though rather horrible at the same time... the names will be often times messed up... *will never forget the Honda-Ben, or the Sakano-Panny* xd
Mirieka
I bought .hack//SIGN on DVD recently, and tried to watch an episode I had already seen in Japanese with English subtitles. Unfortunately, the subtitles were horrible. Spelling errors and sentence structure problems were rife, and they inexplicably changed the names of certain characters.
It ruined what I think is a wonderful series!

Have you guys ever seen any travesties of subtitling? Or is it just me?

you mean other than "all your base are belong to us"?
Go to www.engrish.com
There's plenty of examples...
"Victoly!" is also a good one
Yes, I agree... sometimes subtitles can be written so badly that they're not much better than dubs.

I think that most subtitles are done by Japanese people with a poor command of the english language. Not surprising...
Oh, I've had so many baddly subtitled series! But I can always understand them well enough, and it just makes the series funner for me! xd
that is another reason why i only watch fansubs. 3nodding
There's screw ups in everything. A lot of dubs suck, some are good. A lot of subs are good, a lot are bad. If you're buying an dvd of a licensed anime, make sure you get the official release. #1 It's legal and #2 the subs won't be as bad I'm sure.

Sometimes I'll buy DVD's of anime that aren't licensed, and it's a serious gamble. The subs on my Mahoujin Guru Guru DVD's or Kare Kano or Steel Angel Kurumi (when they weren't licensed) were terrible. But I do have good ones, like Neko no Ongaishi or some LA movies such as Returner were awesome subs.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff