Welcome to Gaia! ::

User ImageUser ImageUser ImageUser Image
What is your opinion on Byronic or Anti-Heroes in animes and mangas? Do you think they make a story more interesting, or do you not really care for them? What are some examples of these heroes in animes you have seen?

My personal opinion is that it makes them more fun to read and watch because it is not the classical good vs evil scenario that most shows and books have. I also believe it makes it interesting because I have to think while reading the manga if the protagonist would be called "good" in his/her actions or "evil". Two examples I know from animes and mangas are Light Yagami from Death Note and Lelouch from Code Geass. I still love reading about the classic "good" protagonist against the antagonist, but Byronic and Anti-heroes are a good change when I want to read about something different.

I was just thinking about this and wanted to know your thoughts on the subject.

Edit: thanks Lexi, I meant Code Geass

8,450 Points
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Invisibility 100
  • Megathread 100
Lelouch is from Death Note???? Lol.

Greedy Raider

Golden Lexi
User Image
Geass Note is the hottest new series to air in Japan, about a youth who encounters a mysterious shinigami with green hair that grants him the power to control anyone whose name he writes in a notebook. With this new power, he vows to become God of the new world by commanding all of Britannia to have heart attacks.
User Image

Horridon's Spouse

Romantic Shapeshifter

Oboromaru
Golden Lexi
User Image
Geass Note is the hottest new series to air in Japan, about a youth who encounters a mysterious shinigami with green hair that grants him the power to control anyone whose name he writes in a notebook. With this new power, he vows to become God of the new world by commanding all of Britannia to have heart attacks.
User Image
i lol'd

Greedy Raider

8,450 Points
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Invisibility 100
  • Megathread 100
Oboromaru
User Image
User Image
User Image
I've seen that pic a bunch of times, and I still find it funny.

Also, here's another.

Greedy Raider

Golden Lexi
I've seen that pic a bunch of times, and I still find it funny.

Also, here's another.
User Image
He pilots the L-ancelot.
User Image
Oboromaru
User Image
User Image
User Image

You supply the best images.

Fashionable Lunatic

Most of my favorite manga characters are anti-heroes....

Which sucks, because they either die, don't show up that often or get shoved against the background sooner or later.

So I just like bad guys now, they make delicious characters.

Off topic: Shinigami with green hair are sexy.

Greedy Raider

User Image
So I'm a little unsure of what "byronic" means. At first I read it as "bionic," but... no, that isn't it.
User Image

8,450 Points
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Invisibility 100
  • Megathread 100
Oboromaru
User Image
So I'm a little unsure of what "byronic" means. At first I read it as "bionic," but... no, that isn't it.
User Image
A Byronic Hero is a character that is angsty, arrogant, does things that are villainous, and other bad stuff, but he isn't the villain.

Byronic just means that he acts like characters made by Lord Byron.

Greedy Raider

Golden Lexi
Oboromaru
User Image
User Image
A Byronic Hero is a character that is angsty, arrogant, does things that are villainous, and other bad stuff, but he isn't the villain.
User Image
Something like, say... Lelouch then? Or is he too justice-y?
User Image

8,450 Points
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Invisibility 100
  • Megathread 100
Oboromaru
Golden Lexi
Oboromaru
User Image
User Image
User Image
Something like, say... Lelouch then? Or is he too justice-y?
User Image
Lelouch definitely fits the trope. He was seen by others as a lazy good-for-nothing rich boy. He himself had dreams to destroy Britannia. Yet, he is one of the good guys of the story.

3,350 Points
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Brandisher 100
  • Entrepreneur 150
"The wind is calling me."

User ImageUser ImageUser Image
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Desert Punk.

Also, LOL at Geass Note.
Does Misa pilot the Guren??
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Never lose your sense of adventure!"

7,100 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Popular Thread 100
User Image
All lols about Lelouch being a Death Note character aside...
OP should definitely watch Gankutsuou.

It's pretty much the best retelling of The Count of Monte Cristo ever made.
And this topic certainly applies to Edmond Dantes.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff