+1 1 100.0% [ 26 ]
Total Votes:[ 26 ]
1 2 3 4 >

Anxious Smoker

5,400 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Brandisher 100
  • Voter 100
So for starters I'd like to say I am going to probably be spoiling anime that some people might not have seen. Just purely based on the fact that I will be citing specific events in anime that does give plot points and blah blah blah. Look, spoilers people beware.

So after that admittedly half assed disclaimer time to get into the meat of this. Now the title of this thread is a little ambiguous so allow me to clarify. I'm discussing how America (and some other countries) are portrayed in Anime. Now before you get all up in arms I'm not against having an unfavorable light cast upon the U.S. per se, but there are some things that just don't quite sit right with me.

I'm going to start with an anime(s) that I believe to be harmless and just for fun. Tongue and cheek if you would and I'm sure some of you have seen it.

Yes, Excel Saga.
And to toot my own horn, a great way to start this thread.

A parody that I believe to be hilarious. While it never offended me, it easily could have. (<If I were a b***h.) But stereotypes such as these can be hilarious that even, no, especially Americans can love. And while I'm at it lets throw another good example of a parody done right for good measure.

This is Abenobashi for those who want to know if you didn't already.

These two are done with such a ludicrous image of Americans turned up to eleven (that no doubt does hold some credibility...) that shouldn't be reviled because of its offensive nature.

Now I'm going to discuss quick potshots that I've noticed in anime.

Ben-To for one, in the very first episode we get bashed on recycling. While I do believe we should recycle in America (Not due to global warming reasons mind you.) I can't really take it personally because I believe they are right in terms of recycling. And I can't be mad because... well... we don't really do as much as we can/could.

But on a side note, WTF is up with having characters from different countries, race, origins in general and still be half Japanese? And even though they are half Japanese half (Insert Here) they still cling to a more Japanese mannerisms/tropes. Only a little irritating, doesn't stop me from watching anime that does that.

Moyashimon does this also, in regards to us using certain biofuels. But I gave it a pass considering that certain biofuels are better than others. Also when Sawaki and co. go to France and they eat at a restaurant that serves a hamburger and fires. Kawahama notes that the burger and fries are salty in that restaurant and reminds him of America. I gave this a pass also that doesn't need explanation. But I will say, in America, we have all types of food that goes beyond burgers and fries.

If you see the pattern above, I give things a pass based on my agreement that some things are represented have a truth to them, even if they are stereotypical. Not only that though, if I did disagree with the above I would be wrong because what was presented is generally true.

Yet another side note though. Kawahama dresses up as a Mexican and I would like to know if any Hispanic peoples were offended by this. And I would like to know if anyone from France or has been to France can tell me if the setting, mannerisms of the people there are accurate even if to a degree.

Now this is where I get a little bit more frustrated. In Birdy the Mighty Decode (which I love) has some irrelevancies about the plot in general that seems like it was just because. In the first season M. Night Shyamalan was the main antagonist. No i'm not kidding, he was the antagonist. I'm conflicted because this aired in 2008. And I didn't have a grudge against Shyamalan until 2010 when he made the b*****d version of the last airbender. And it seems they choose him as the antagonist just because he is American. However i'm open to the fact that I might just be oversensitive on this one.
What does bother me though is in the second season of said show. Around the end of the second season the antagonist refugees that cause the Ryunka to come to earth as a testing place. They murdered a bunch of U.S. soldiers that were stationed in Japan for whatever reason they were there. They had a weapon that was not modern by any means that passed as alien technology, despite the fact that most people on earth don't believe in aliens. To be fair the antagonists did have a reason to do this, it was for a weapon held by the Americans at that port. But it seems they made the decision to make them U.S. soldiers because... well just because.

In Senki Zesshou Symphogear it does have a similar affect to this. In the first season Fine was cooperating with America for... I forget. But America cooperated because the Symphogear was something that could alter world power. America doing this for world power I don't disagree with. But there are other world powers besides the U.S. so why didn't they try anything? And this isn't something I take seriously just because... Well ******** how COULD you take this anime seriously. The second season again has a similar affect, as to where the main protagonist is a group of Americans turned rogue that also happened to be working with Fine from the first season. Now I'm going to say I like this series seeing as how it has a lot going for it. And to be fair who wasn't rooting for Dr. Ver to get completely and utterly b***h slapped by the protagonists. But during a scene where Genjuurou was speaking with other world leaders he says and I quote: "Don't trust the Americans."

This one also has a pattern to it. I'm not entirely bothered that America was there. They seemed to be there just to be the enemy, just to be evil dicks, and really just to be there for no reason other than being there. In regarding Symphogear I don't take it to heart considering a few things. Genjuurou watches action films that seem to have heavy influences of Bruce Lee. And that Chris has some Symphogear attacks that are based of metal bands from America. Some ******** yeah there for sure, and Symphogear doesn't seem like an anime to be taken seriously anyway. But Birdy the Mighty made me sad that we're a hindrance to them. D':
^--So as far as all this goes I will admit to some mild butthurt.

Lastly this is probably why I made this thread to begin with. Muv Luv Alternative which I didn't make past episode four, but I pretty much read what happened instead of watching it. Muv Luv Alternative in regards to the topic at hand, has made some fragrantly offensive remarks not just towards America, but towards every character representing the part of the world they're from. I'll use a quote from a crunchyroll reviewer that I feel aptly describes my problem with it:

"They are seriously playing up pretty much EVERY international stereotype it could think of. Italians are flirtatious, Mongolians are small, Russians torture, Russians are secretive, Americans are stupid, Americans hate the Japanese, Americans make overpowered machines that are still inferior, Americans just need to experience another culture.........You may be seeing a trend here. These aren't just subtle one-time instances in the story. They are major overriding themes, motivations, and plot points!!!"

The quote above sums it up very nicely. And it's also irritating that an anime that's so disrespectful to other cultures still portrays them as caricatures and, at times, still act as if they were straight from an anime. And the racism the main character shows towards the Japanese people wouldn't be out of place if it were ******** WW2. And considering the plot and the overall situation, you think the world would set their god damn differences aside against a foe that has already taken out 3/4s the population. I'd only imagine this kind of s**t wouldn't continue.

I'm not one to claim America doesn't have offensive stuff about the Japanese culture because we do. But there is being offensive, and flat out stereotyping damn everything about a culture and turning it up to the nth degree. And it's not as if it were even constructive as to where we could learn something, because the creators damn sure didn't suggest anything.

Final side note, I just have a question for the U.K. Did it bother you that Code Geass made the British take over the world? Speaking for myself I can't say I was against this. I was just glad the U.S. wasn't the bad guy for once.
lol @ the excel vid

Anxious Smoker

5,400 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Brandisher 100
  • Voter 100
Jager Ryu
lol @ the excel vid

Yeah, had to re-watch it a few times to get everything. And btw this doesn't pertain to you, but those who may* ask why the American flag was censored. The part where our stars go has only three, and its a p***s with testicles. biggrin

Khraleon's Wife

Kawaii Wife

boo hoo white people being stereotyped

you're taking cartoons a little too seriously
Next Generation God
Jager Ryu
lol @ the excel vid

Yeah, had to re-watch it a few times to get everything. And btw this doesn't pertain to you, but those who make ask why the American flag was censored. The part where our stars go has only three, and its a p***s with testicles. biggrin

haha, yeah I noticed the flag being blurred. didn't really give it much thought though. neutral

Anxious Smoker

5,400 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Brandisher 100
  • Voter 100
So As I Pray

America=Every race on this earth in one place.

Claim all you want that its just white people but it isn't. And really beyond that, in anime it just shows black and white people. That isn't true if we're speaking factually which I am.

Khraleon's Wife

Kawaii Wife

Next Generation God
So As I Pray

Claim all you want that its just white people but it isn't. And really beyond that, in anime it just shows black and white people. That isn't true if we're speaking factually which I am.

"Every race" with a white majority. boo ******** hoo.

Let me tell you why Japan's so stereotype happy: Xenophobia. They're probably some of the most xenophobic people you'll ever encounter. Straight up "white pig go home."

Do I think they're overdoing it? Not in the ******** least. It'd be stupid to cry about them stereotyping us when we go about stereotyping everything. Hypocritical.

Anxious Smoker

5,400 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Brandisher 100
  • Voter 100
So As I Pray
Next Generation God
So As I Pray

Let me tell you why Japan's so stereotype happy: Xenophobia. They're probably some of the most xenophobic people you'll ever encounter. Straight up "white pig go home."

Do I think they're overdoing it? Not in the ******** least. It'd be stupid to cry about them stereotyping us when we go about stereotyping everything. Hypocritical.

Firstly, I am aware that some Japanese people are xenophobic. And it's not just white people, its all foreigners in japan. This doesn't really pertain to anything I've stated. You just gave me an answer stating "Japan is stereotypical because ******** everyone else." Which isn't true strictly speaking.

I don't figure how you think I'm "crying" about anything. I've stated all of my frustrations and lack thereof into a single post. I'm not trying to change any xenophobia the Japanese may have, I'm really just venting because Muv Luv pissed me off enough to make this type of post. And really, I gave good examples of my views on what I find acceptable and don't. This doesn't pertain to anyone but me, and saying that I am, again, "crying" is a horrible knee jerk reaction as such. Especially given that I haven't said anything to truly warrant one. I feel anyway.

Khraleon's Wife

Kawaii Wife

Next Generation God
So As I Pray
Next Generation God
So As I Pray

Firstly, I am aware that some Japanese people are xenophobic. And it's not just white people, its all foreigners in japan. This doesn't really pertain to anything I've stated. You just gave me an answer stating "Japan is stereotypical because ******** everyone else." Which isn't true strictly speaking.

I don't figure how you think I'm "crying" about anything. I've stated all of my frustrations and lack thereof into a single post. I'm not trying to change any xenophobia the Japanese may have, I'm really just venting because Muv Luv pissed me off enough to make this type of post. And really, I gave good examples of my views on what I find acceptable and don't. This doesn't pertain to anyone but me, and saying that I am, again, "crying" is a horrible knee jerk reaction as such. Especially given that I haven't said anything to truly warrant one. I feel anyway.

No, what I said was "Japan stereotypes because Japan is xenophobic" which is indeed true. It's not some. It's a majority.

You just admitted that it pissed you off. And really, you shouldn't be getting mad. It's not like it's a personal attack against you.

And really, I wouldn't even think anything of this thread except you had to include this:
Quote:
I'm not one to claim America doesn't have offensive stuff about the Japanese culture because we do. But there is being offensive, and flat out stereotyping damn everything about a culture and turning it up to the nth degree. And it's not as if it were even constructive as to where we could learn something, because the creators damn sure didn't suggest anything.

Because really, America does that probably more than anywhere else on the planet, and you're trying to play it off like Japan's suddenly being so much worse about it.
Next Generation God
So As I Pray
Next Generation God
So As I Pray

Muvluv has every right to have overly patriotic citizens, even jingoist citizens, considering the situation the world is in. The series many times makes a point to point out that this is all consequence of the war with the BETA and that people in our modern day world do not act like that. Did you read the VNs, or did you just jump straight into Total Eclipse without any supplementary material?

I do like the idea behind the thread, don't take my post wrong please, but man dat implication.

Anxious Smoker

5,400 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Brandisher 100
  • Voter 100
No, what I said was "Japan stereotypes because Japan is xenophobic" which is indeed true. It's not some. It's a majority.

You just admitted that it pissed you off. And really, you shouldn't be getting mad. It's not like it's a personal attack against you.

And really, I wouldn't even think anything of this thread except you had to include this:
Quote:

Because really, America does that probably more than anywhere else on the planet, and you're trying to play it off like Japan's suddenly being so much worse about it.

Even if it is a majority, how does this pertain to what I was talking about? Did you even ready EVERYTHING I said in the OP?

I never said it a personal attack, but how do you justify saying a generalization was generalized merit me not being aggravated? Also, that's why most people do get aggravated, because it is a generalization.

Your probably right about America doing it more, because EVERY type of race has some type of place in America. You act as if other countries are as diverse as America. And news flash, they aren't.
By the way, you only seen 4 episodes of TE, not Alt. Alt is a visual novel from a MuvLuv VN Trilogy. It really helps to actually read and watch the material as opposed to taking others' word for it, since alot of people that read ABOUT Muvluv tend to get information completely wrong.

TE, just like all of MuvLuv, talks trash and praises countries about equally actually, it gives the same treatment even to the Japanese themselves. Like I just said, NEVER try to get your information about Muvluv from any source other than yourself, people tend to get misinformed and then post completely wrong comments about the series.

Khraleon's Wife

Kawaii Wife

Next Generation God
Even if it is a majority, how does this pertain to what I was talking about? Did you even ready EVERYTHING I said in the OP?

I never said it a personal attack, but how do you justify saying a generalization was generalized merit me not being aggravated? Also, that's why most people do get aggravated, because it is a generalization.

Your probably right about America doing it more, because EVERY type of race has some type of place in America. You act as if other countries are as diverse as America. And news flash, they aren't.

Christ, please learn to quote properly.

It pertains to it because you're getting your panties in a knot as a white person getting stereotyped and made fun of by another race.

Villager has a better grasp of the whole Muv Luv situation, but the way I see it is you seem to take these to heart more than you should. Maybe there should be a disclaimer, just for you. "These are works of fiction and a product of xenophobia, not truly meant to be taken seriously"

Good lord, that's worse than the "I have a black friend I can use the n word" argument

Anxious Smoker

5,400 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Brandisher 100
  • Voter 100
LegendaryRandomVIllager42
Next Generation God
So As I Pray
Next Generation God
So As I Pray

Muvluv has every right to have overly patriotic citizens, even jingoist citizens, considering the situation the world is in. The series many times makes a point to point out that this is all consequence of the war with the BETA and that people in our modern day world do not act like that. Did you read the VNs, or did you just jump straight into Total Eclipse without any supplementary material?

I do like the idea behind the thread, don't take my post wrong please, but man dat implication.

At not point did I say they had no right to, because they do. But that's often a problem I see especially in America. Free Speech does not equate to saying anything you want with no consequences. I'm not saying there should be consequences, because there shouldn't. But damn was it aggravating.

I don't play the VN's. But seeing as how this was an "Alternative" the creators didn't really provide as much substance as they should have regarding backgrounds, side stories, and just the world in general. That's a problem I find with the anime.It seemed like an attempt to say "play the VN" instead of making it an anime adaption or even "Alternative" as to where it could stand on its own.
Next Generation God
LegendaryRandomVIllager42
Next Generation God
So As I Pray
Next Generation God
So As I Pray

At not point did I say they had no right to, because they do. But that's often a problem I see especially in America. Free Speech does not equate to saying anything you want with no consequences. I'm not saying there should be consequences, because there shouldn't. But damn was it aggravating.

I don't play the VN's. But seeing as how this was an "Alternative" the creators didn't really provide as much substance as they should have regarding backgrounds, side stories, and just the world in general. That's a problem I find with the anime.It seemed like an attempt to say "play the VN" instead of making it an anime adaption or even "Alternative" as to where it could stand on its own.

That's kinda the thing though, the anime was made for two reasons:
1) Fanservice for the fans
2) Sell alot of model kits (Su-47E Berkut, you are one sexy soviet machine)
Everything else was secondary and it shows, especially since re-release was still full of QUALITY and lack of effort.

Also again, it's not Alternative. It's Total Eclipse Alternative BECAUSE it takes place in world of MuvLuv Alternative and the series is called TOTAL ECLIPSE. Alternative is the third part of MuvLuv VN trilogy, TE just exists as expansion to the universe.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff