Welcome to Gaia! ::

I suppose most people who read the title'd immediately think of the actual voices for the characters in the shows. As much as that is a big part of dubbing something in Japanese into English, (especially for those who watched or enjoyed the Japanese version beforehand), there's also the issue of translations.

Maybe this is already old news but it's gets on my nerves so I'll make this rant, but I'm not trying to flame anyone or thing though, mind you.

The main problems I have with ADV productions is their translations. Namely Rurouni Kenshin's OVAs (Otherwise known as "Samurai X", renamed by ADV) and Saiyuki (or Gensoumaden Saiyuuki in Japanese).

Their voice choices are pretty good for the most part, although unlike most other Saiyuki fans, I can't stand Goku's English voice. Grey Ayres makes Goku sound like a know-it-all who's acting stupid on purpose as opposed to a more child-like naivety.

At times, they change the meanings so much so that it's completely unrelated to the original meaning. If you've watched RuroKen's last OVA episode, rewatch Kaoru's last line of the last episode in both languages and note that the line supposedly applies to Kenshin's cross-shaped scar.

Some times, what they're doing seems like they're just watching the action on screen and adding speeches to it so that they're in English. In Saiyuki, no matter how you translate Sanzo's line of "Let me tell you something. The only person who is allowed to address me so familiarly is that stupid monkey!" your result doesn't get anywhere close to "Let's see if the chimp can do a backflip!" x___X;

And Hakkai's character took on a complete different personality; Hakkai's Japanese speech is very polite and he rarely ever swears. (The only one that I noticed so far is his use of 'kisama' for Chin Yisou. Considering what Chin Yisou was doing to him, kisama's a light term to use. xD) And in the first episode of the English dub had him cursing more than Gojyo does.

As for the romanization of 'Gojou' to 'Gojyo' .. That requires a different thread. (It's like the whole issue with the name of Inuyasha's sword all over again.. Not pretty.)

Unfortunately, my rant doesn't stop there. But after watching ADV's production of Saiyuki, I can safely say that I look forward to the release of Saiyuki Reload by Bang Zoom! Entertainment.
I TOTALLY AGREE WITH YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!
i just think ' leave it as japanese and put the subtitles on the bottom'
well it doesnt really make sence for me to read the bottom bcuz i know japanese anyway

Dapper Phantom

12,750 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Full closet 200
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
hiyokomushi
I TOTALLY AGREE WITH YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!
i just think ' leave it as japanese and put the subtitles on the bottom'
well it doesnt really make sence for me to read the bottom bcuz i know japanese anyway
there is a problem with your idea, it costs alot to dub it but alot more to put on subtitles, thats why we buy uncut undubbed anime with subtitles

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff