Welcome to Gaia! ::

Winniwyn
LegendaryRandomVIllager42
Winniwyn
Gunnisberg
How about some ******** leniency. Because everytime I want to lay something new and interesting that involves Anime. It's gets boxed, or worse, binned. Why, because it's not paragraph heavy now or it doesn't too much question.

Also work out on prioritizing on binning recommendation, where what is this from, role playing, guild endorsent, and is my avi like animu,Kind of threads.

This right here. Any time I see a discussion topic on something that isn't "tumblr's flavour of the month series" it gets auto-boxed within few days (or minutes at worst), but threads like "who is your favourite character" "have you seen x series?" "I like X" stay on front page and practically never get moved. It doesn't even matter what the discussion is or how well-written the opening post is, it's just auto-boxed without much care. The users of this forum could be having a discussion about the series, and it'll get moved. No matter what, all non-tumblr popular series just get binned without anything more than "too broad/low content" being given a reason, even if there is plenty of content AND an active discussion that happens to be forum related.

I've been stalking the moderator for this forum, and he doesn't even come to A/M/C nor seems to show much interest for A/M/C related topics (His interests are RP related things and video games.) I am guessing he just responds based on reports, and does not check actual content. Now I know the moderator has a life, but many of us do not and we would just like to discuss anime without wrongful reports constantly silencing our discussions and preventing expression of honest opinion. This is counter-productive to A/M/C and the forum has been practically dead for past two years; this kind of moderation is not helping in keeping the forum alive. Instead this forces people to either leave and have a non-A/M/C discussion in subforums/other forums or completely leave GaiaOnline (as was case with users such as Zombie in 2008 ).

My request is simple: find a no-life Anime/Manga/Comic geek who'll waste away his or her days on A/MC, actually lurk the forum and check the reported threads, or completely revamp the "A/M/C Guidelines". Atleast one of these three would help alot.

I agree that it'd be nice to have a mod for the A/M/C that was actually into anime manga or comics (and who actually has the time to properly moderate the forum), but I can see why it doesn't really happen...becoming a moderator can be kind of difficult from what I hear and what I've read.

I am sure if GaiaOnline staff tried, they could find a NEET who could do this for free while following their guidelines to the teeth. It's still a somewhat popular website.
With that said, I would also like the moderation to either do full-on purge or be more lenient with A/M/C. As it stands, the whole moderation of A/M/C content feel like a ******** due to the confusing prioritizing of reports and just general speed of moderation vs traffic. It's not as fast as it used to be (the traffic, the moderation seems around same speed as always), but its still too slow for a forum like this. Someone who has no life and would moderate A/M/C along with its subforums would be REALLY nice and something I've been wanting for years, glad to see this thread was created so I can publicly and freely voice my concern without having to either risk a ban or stick to private messages.

Guess I can deal with things the way they are now, I mostly hang at this specific forum out of nostalgia and love for the avatar system... but I really would like to see some improvement since it is possible. But, from what I understand, the moderators choose what forum they want to moderate... I wonder why Megaman choose this forum when he doesn't seem to post around here... maybe I missed something and he likes a certain subforum at A/M/C? It doesn't seem to be the case, but could be a mistake by me and I'd love to be corrected if it is.
Edit: I am not saying Megaman should step down, since having even less moderators would be counter-productive, but instead asking for more moderators that are also more active due to either open schedules or having no real-life obligations. I don't know how forum assistants work, but that could be a possibly thing I'd like to see expanded.

Oh I don't doubt that there are people who are qualified, the problem is waiting for gaia to accept their application and actually start training them. I was just browsing the thread about how you become a moderator and apparently it took two years for gaia to even reply to one mod's application. And in that time you also have to keep up the "100 reports of ToS violations in the last six months" thing. That's not to say that it takes every application two years to be accepted (or denied), but still...

I know that we almost had someone that would have made a good Mod for the A/M/C, she had her application accepted and everything, but then she had a problem with the people training her. I don't remember the exact details but I seem to remember something about how the mods are very clichey. (Again, don't quote me on this, it was a few years ago so my memory is a little fuzzy.)

Was that tenko?

Questionable Senshi

9,950 Points
  • Magical Girl 50
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Super Tipsy 200
Bluedanubeschiff
Winniwyn
Winniwyn
Gunnisberg
How about some ******** leniency. Because everytime I want to lay something new and interesting that involves Anime. It's gets boxed, or worse, binned. Why, because it's not paragraph heavy now or it doesn't too much question.

Also work out on prioritizing on binning recommendation, where what is this from, role playing, guild endorsent, and is my avi like animu,Kind of threads.

This right here. Any time I see a discussion topic on something that isn't "tumblr's flavour of the month series" it gets auto-boxed within few days (or minutes at worst), but threads like "who is your favourite character" "have you seen x series?" "I like X" stay on front page and practically never get moved. It doesn't even matter what the discussion is or how well-written the opening post is, it's just auto-boxed without much care. The users of this forum could be having a discussion about the series, and it'll get moved. No matter what, all non-tumblr popular series just get binned without anything more than "too broad/low content" being given a reason, even if there is plenty of content AND an active discussion that happens to be forum related.

I've been stalking the moderator for this forum, and he doesn't even come to A/M/C nor seems to show much interest for A/M/C related topics (His interests are RP related things and video games.) I am guessing he just responds based on reports, and does not check actual content. Now I know the moderator has a life, but many of us do not and we would just like to discuss anime without wrongful reports constantly silencing our discussions and preventing expression of honest opinion. This is counter-productive to A/M/C and the forum has been practically dead for past two years; this kind of moderation is not helping in keeping the forum alive. Instead this forces people to either leave and have a non-A/M/C discussion in subforums/other forums or completely leave GaiaOnline (as was case with users such as Zombie in 2008 ).

My request is simple: find a no-life Anime/Manga/Comic geek who'll waste away his or her days on A/MC, actually lurk the forum and check the reported threads, or completely revamp the "A/M/C Guidelines". Atleast one of these three would help alot.

I agree that it'd be nice to have a mod for the A/M/C that was actually into anime manga or comics (and who actually has the time to properly moderate the forum), but I can see why it doesn't really happen...becoming a moderator can be kind of difficult from what I hear and what I've read.

I am sure if GaiaOnline staff tried, they could find a NEET who could do this for free while following their guidelines to the teeth. It's still a somewhat popular website.
With that said, I would also like the moderation to either do full-on purge or be more lenient with A/M/C. As it stands, the whole moderation of A/M/C content feel like a ******** due to the confusing prioritizing of reports and just general speed of moderation vs traffic. It's not as fast as it used to be (the traffic, the moderation seems around same speed as always), but its still too slow for a forum like this. Someone who has no life and would moderate A/M/C along with its subforums would be REALLY nice and something I've been wanting for years, glad to see this thread was created so I can publicly and freely voice my concern without having to either risk a ban or stick to private messages.

Guess I can deal with things the way they are now, I mostly hang at this specific forum out of nostalgia and love for the avatar system... but I really would like to see some improvement since it is possible. But, from what I understand, the moderators choose what forum they want to moderate... I wonder why Megaman choose this forum when he doesn't seem to post around here... maybe I missed something and he likes a certain subforum at A/M/C? It doesn't seem to be the case, but could be a mistake by me and I'd love to be corrected if it is.
Edit: I am not saying Megaman should step down, since having even less moderators would be counter-productive, but instead asking for more moderators that are also more active due to either open schedules or having no real-life obligations. I don't know how forum assistants work, but that could be a possibly thing I'd like to see expanded.

Oh I don't doubt that there are people who are qualified, the problem is waiting for gaia to accept their application and actually start training them. I was just browsing the thread about how you become a moderator and apparently it took two years for gaia to even reply to one mod's application. And in that time you also have to keep up the "100 reports of ToS violations in the last six months" thing. That's not to say that it takes every application two years to be accepted (or denied), but still...

I know that we almost had someone that would have made a good Mod for the A/M/C, she had her application accepted and everything, but then she had a problem with the people training her. I don't remember the exact details but I seem to remember something about how the mods are very clichey. (Again, don't quote me on this, it was a few years ago so my memory is a little fuzzy.)

Was that tenko?

Nope.

Cheery Cutie-Pie

15,050 Points
  • Pet Trainer 150
  • Destroyer of Cuteness 150
  • Partygoer 500

How about no, it’s not that difficult to read rules and most of the threads that you see that are auto-boxed broke them in some way or covered a topic already in the stickies . It doesn’t help that people respond to those thread even though they break rules. What is needed is for them to be more active but make the recommendation sub-forum so all the recommendation threads can go in there and bold the stickies so they’re more prominent and users might actually look at them.

The forum rules are pretty clear on what does and does not go there, no need to revamp them. WHat’s needed is for users to read them.
Tsuki_Kirkland

How about no, it’s not that difficult to read rules and most of the threads that you see that are auto-boxed broke them in some way or covered a topic already in the stickies . It doesn’t help that people respond to those thread even though they break rules. What is needed is for them to be more active but make the recommendation sub-forum so all the recommendation threads can go in there and bold the stickies so they’re more prominent and users might actually look at them.

The forum rules are pretty clear on what does and does not go there, no need to revamp them. WHat’s needed is for users to read them.

Then, and I stressed this more than anything else, we simply need a more active moderation.

But I honestly would love to see a slight revamp of the rules.

Cheery Cutie-Pie

15,050 Points
  • Pet Trainer 150
  • Partygoer 500
Tsuki_Kirkland

Then, and I stressed this more than anything else, we simply need a more active moderation.

I still don’t see a need for a revamp. Again the rules clearly state what type of threads don’t go in the forum , so there’s not really anything to revamp.
However, I do agree we need more active mods or forum assistants to help remove the spam threads that don’t go.
Tsuki_Kirkland
Tsuki_Kirkland

I still don’t see a need for a revamp. Again the rules clearly state what type of threads don’t go in the forum , so there’s not really anything to revamp.
However, I do agree we need more active mods or forum assistants to help remove the spam threads that don’t go.

I can point out one issue right now, due to lack of updating, is the posted sub-forums under post 3 of A/M/C Guidelines. There are subforums that don't exist anymore and also lacks the currently listed subforums.
Also discussing of latest episodes, non "non-topic" kind, seems to get cracked down on even if not mentioned in A/M/C Guidelines as something that isn't allowed.

Ofcourse another issue is how little room there is for creating threads with the strict "non-topic" rules, as you can see that most people make threads that don't adhere to said rule because most people who go to A/M/C's main forum DO NOT EVEN WISH to have have a serious discussion past initial thread topic (or the OP doesn't feel like writing a mountain of text to get past silly thread monitoring). Maybe if we had a proper userbase for such discussions it'd be one thing, but we lack both numbers and the type of people needed for such a rule. With current moderation I'd rather the rules be loosened or the forum go on full purge (I'd support loosening due to the state of many forums from other sites being dead when faced with similar issues). The current system is a ******** and it causes nothing short of frustration for those of us who regularly post here.

Point of note: I do not care for state of affairs on other gaia forums and subforums, only for the main-forum A/M/C. With the way things have become: the forum became pitiful and is rather dead compared to a very few years ago.

Cheery Cutie-Pie

15,050 Points
  • Pet Trainer 150
  • Partygoer 500

Usually discussion of latest episodes turns into ‘what did you think “ and what do you think of show/comic”” threads are not allowed. Well then the sticky for rules needs updating, not the rules themselves and the sub-forums that no longer exist should be removed. You’re asking for something different when you said rules need to be updated.

As to the part about users not coming for a serious discussion, well that’s their problem. This forum is for discussion, not to post pictures or make low content threads that don’t have much to discuss. The forum is for discussing the show, and users are not doing that which is the problem, not the rules. the rules make sense though, a lot of what’s in the stickies would end up being tons of threads on the same subject blocking out others if they weren’t in the stickies and the ones in the rules are really low content or more of a rant (such as the I love/hate show/comic/character’ and rants do not belong in the forums.

If you want change, push for them to make a “ what show/character is this and a “recommend me an anime” sub-forum so those threads can be taken out of the rules as being not allowed. however the rules are not a “Cluster ******** “ as you claim but necessary and working fine . They’d work better if users would read them.
Tsuki_Kirkland

Usually discussion of latest episodes turns into ‘what did you think “ and what do you think of show/comic”” threads are not allowed. Well then the sticky for rules needs updating, not the rules themselves and the sub-forums that no longer exist should be removed. You’re asking for something different when you said rules need to be updated.

As to the part about users not coming for a serious discussion, well that’s their problem. This forum is for discussion, not to post pictures or make low content threads that don’t have much to discuss. The forum is for discussing the show, and users are not doing that which is the problem, not the rules. the rules make sense though, a lot of what’s in the stickies would end up being tons of threads on the same subject blocking out others if they weren’t in the stickies and the ones in the rules are really low content or more of a rant (such as the I love/hate show/comic/character’ and rants do not belong in the forums.

If you want change, push for them to make a “ what show/character is this and a “recommend me an anime” sub-forum so those threads can be taken out of the rules as being not allowed. however the rules are not a “Cluster ******** “ as you claim but necessary and working fine . They’d work better if users would read them.

That's the ******** problem though. How many people read A/M/C guidelines? Look at, and say, first 5 pages. How many topics do you that are not allowed by A/M/C guidelines? Atleast half, if not more per page. This has been issue for years and many of us regulars just want a bit more leniency on the rules so we could have discussion about a show without getting boxed because OP decided not to write a mountain of text for his opening post (or maybe we just wanna kick back and have a light discussion/joke about the latest episode/series).
Here's example:
Gunnisberg

Rules would make sense if they garnered and supported a proper userbase, they don't. I'd love it if there was a proper userbase for the rules set for A/M/C, but there isn't. It doesn't help that we don't have eastern anime subforum anymore and the mods are sometimes absent for days. As things are, it's just a shitty sticky on top that the new users give no regard to. And you could spend all day reporting and explaining to those users the issue with the thread being on A/M/C and trying to generally help, it does not ******** help.

I love A/M/C, I truly do, but it has too many issues and the rules that are currently set are ill fit for the forum that it is. If the moderators on GaiaOnline are serious about their rules: they should actively moderate A/M/C and actually purge the forum of any thread that breaks the rules. The moderators don't, and you can read the whole thread and see how it just annoys people to no end.

The user, The Fair Lady, on first page pretty much covered the topic rather well and first three pages clearly point out how the rules need a revamp.
Edit: Sorry that I ramble alot.

Cheery Cutie-Pie

15,050 Points
  • Pet Trainer 150
  • Partygoer 500

I don’t see why you think they need to be changed for leniency, the rules are pretty lenient now and straight forward . They are easy to understand and if anything the users are the problems as they refuse to read the rules which is why I suggest they bold the stickies so they are more apparent to users. As I said before, and the reason I also disagree with the user on the third page is that those topics will over run the forum if taken from the stickies. Also, users have shown in the past when making topics that cover the stickies that they cannot build upon the topic. They make the thread with just the “what’s your favorite character” thing and thats it. Besides there’s not much to build on with those topics so they’re better off still in the stickies.

Example of this

Furthermore, they don’t need to prioritize anything as I believe reports are already prioritized. I believe they go with sexually explicit then everything else. i will agree the moderation needs to step up some, but remember there are few mods for a ton of users on this site so that is a huge problem and modding is a volunteer job. They have a life outside of Gaia so they can’t be on permanently.

Cheery Cutie-Pie

15,050 Points
  • Pet Trainer 150
  • Partygoer 500
Another thing that needs to be changed, we need forum assistants in this forum. We only have mods and since most of the threads just need to be moved, having a couple or three forum assistants would really help as they can just move rule breaking threads ( and misplaced threads ) while the mods can take care of the offsite advertisers and pirates in this forum.

7,600 Points
  • Alchemy Level 1 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Forum Sophomore 300
So this thing has been going on for over a year now.

Gaia Admins, do you guys mind giving us a heads up on when you'll be implementing further changes? It's been 11 months since the last update.

Also, I'm sure this has been mentioned several times already but I cannot stress the importance of more mod presence. And no, this doesn't just mean more mods to attend to just reports, but mods who actually monitor the forum, participate in threads and discussions, and overall have knowledge about anime/manga outside of the general mainstream.

The thing is, I feel like mods only care about reviewing reports nowadays instead of the actual board. You have people like Megamanpsy who probably just read the reports and compare the post/thread reported to the general guidelines and decide "yes, this topic is relevant and can stay" or "no, this thread is irrelevant and shall be CB'd/binned/deleted".

However, this is highly inefficient since it sometimes takes days before a mod takes action on a reported thread/post. I've had threads that have been deleted a week after they've died off from the first page. In addition to that, not everything gets reported actually. I don't think there is anyone in here who still actually reports recommendation threads since they are so common nowadays and that we know it will take a long time before the mods do something about it anyways.

Seriously, if there was at least a single mod here who actively oversees the board, things would run around here a lot more smoothly. Instead of taking 2-3 days, CB-level threads would deleted the moment mods see them on the first page.

Maybe let the users in this forum nominate their own mod. Seriously, at least let us have a mod that we trust who knows what he/she is talking about rather than someone like Megamanpsy who has little knowledge of anime and has nothing to contribute to this forum at all other than moderating reported threads days after they've died.
Can I propose that people who go round spamming threads with "DERP DERP USE STICKY DERP" and acting like some sort-of a**-kisser to the mods, be told to shut the ******** up.

It's getting pathetic how certain members are going in and acting like dicks to the newbies in the forum.

They made a thread that belongs in the sticky? Whoop-de-doo, we all know that it'll be on page 2/3 etc by the end of the day,

Compassionate Conversationalist

24,550 Points
  • Partygoer 500
  • Battle: Level 10 250
  • Alchemy Level 10 100
Tsuki_Kirkland
Another thing that needs to be changed, we need forum assistants in this forum. We only have mods and since most of the threads just need to be moved, having a couple or three forum assistants would really help as they can just move rule breaking threads ( and misplaced threads ) while the mods can take care of the offsite advertisers and pirates in this forum.

Hello!

I'm actually one of Two new FAs for this forum! I just started in here a couple days ago, but I am trying extra hard to keep this forum nice and clean for everyone! So spread the word, we are trying!

But I would ask you guys to also spread the word, that posting in misplaced threads, no matter the reason, does make my job a lot harder, even if you are trying to be helpful to that other user! So please, if you see a misplaced thread, just report and move on, ok?

Also, I would encourage everyone to give the Rules and Guidelines a once over, especially post four! Just being aware of that post, and letting others know what kind of threads are ok to post in here, will also help identify misplaced threads!

And lastly, I know several of you wanted an FA/mod that was familiar with Anime, Manga, and Comics as well, to know what titles and topics would be good for here! Well, I am a fan of Anime, particularly MacrossF, as well as some of the older mainstream animes, such as Ranma 1/2, DBZ, Robotech, and Gundam Wing (I like giant robots!), but the most recent anime I watched was Ouran!

In terms of Manga, my fave is Negima, and I plan to reread it again here soon. And comics...oh, I love me some comics, though my current history with them isn't all that strong. I've read a lot more DC than other publishers, though Marvel has a few heroes I am fond of too!

I'm looking forward to being able to work together with you guys to help make this forum a better place to have excellent discussion about all three main topics, and who knows, you might even see me in a thread from time to time!

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get Items
Get Gaia Cash
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games