Welcome to Gaia! ::

I hope I posted this in the correct section, as I could not decide between the anime and the religious forum. i think it could fit in either. In any case I recently came across a christian website, that attacks many things, including anime, of being of the devil. Now, the last anime I really paid attention to was pokemon in season 1, so I am out of the loop a bit. However the site was so good I decided to ask the anime fans a few simple question's. Read this article and perhaps a bit more of the site before you respond. The article is from a "former fan" of sailor moon.
http://www.crossroad.to/articles2/2003/monique/sailor_moon.htm

1 Can you be a christian and like anime?
2Do article's like these make you mad?
3What did you think of the article/site?

Once again, I thank everyone who responds.
I'm a Christian and I'm a rabid little otaku. Generally Christians who attack anime tend be the super right-wing conservatives, while alot of Christians could consider me more liberal than most... I.E. I wear pants and listen to 'rock 'n roll'.

Anyhow back to the topic.

You can be a Christian and like anime. Anime is not demonic and evil, anime cannot hurt your salvation.

Articles like this do make me angry because these people are narrowmind and poofy.
Gawd yes you can be christian and like anime cuz dats got me grafittied all over it 3nodding
there is no reason why anyone cant be christian and like anime at the same time. im christian and i like anime - i dont think im going to go to hell just because i watch it. articles like this tick me off because its all coming from over-conservative born again christians saying anime is demonic.its kinda like how these same people claim that harry potter promotes witchcraft - its just stupid.
Ok here's the thing, in japan religion is kinda frowned upon. When you say religion they think of those scary cults where everyone comits suicide.. i guess there was a lot of that a few years back. So there really aren't like deep religious undertones in anime like people would think.

and i'm not christian

and i hate when crazy christian people claim everything is evil ^^;
God just wants you to be happy and if He thought it were evil and vile He wouldn't have put in the creator's head to make such cartoon. I say as long as you stay true to yourself and Him, you couldn't be happier if he saw you enjoy life. That is what I believe. Everything was sent here for a reason.
okay,
1. I'm a Protestant.
2. I don't go to church
3. I respect other peoples religiens

though i think that thats going over, like Harry Potter banning. demon shows witch wizards. when the Harry Potter books got me into reading, and other they banned them, and Anime actually got me and my friend into a field of jobs we like to enter, we don't mind, but its' going to be their children that will rebel against it, cause my friend Annie is one of them.
Hwoarang Doo San
God just wants you to be happy and if He thought it were evil and vile He wouldn't have put in the creator's head to make such cartoon. I say as long as you stay true to yourself and Him, you couldn't be happier if he saw you enjoy life. That is what I believe. Everything was sent here for a reason.

that's what I think!

That article was stupid. But I've seen sooo many like that; saying pokemon was sending evil messagees to children and BS like that. stare
christianity is supposed to respect the likes of other people, so there's no reason that anime can be defined as a devil. only when your over the top with it, paying no attention to nothing else and escaping from reality... sweatdrop anyway its not like anime is going against christians. it's just another form of japanese arts, reflecting on their culture, and experiences 3nodding

Familiar Citizen

You can be Christian and absolutely love anime.
Some people are a bit more extreme than others when they see things like magic cirlces in anime thinking that anime is teaching their kids about whichcraft. Which is pretty scary for an adult who thinks whichcraft is the work of the devil and if its being taught to their children and their children pick it up, these children would be going to hell.
So no articles like that don't really make me mad.
it makes me pity some people for being too adiment and fanatical in their beliefs to really look at something for what it is, harmless fun, but compairing to some fangirls...<.< >.> these people are moderates. Lol...
Anyway seriously...
It doesn't make me angry when things like this are made.
I think that jsut means there should be a better l;ink in communication.
How can one try to educate these people if you're shouting at eachother?
Really....

Familiar Citizen

FoXy-RoXc
christianity is supposed to respect the likes of other people, so there's no reason that anime can be defined as a devil. only when your over the top with it, paying no attention to nothing else and escaping from reality... sweatdrop anyway its not like anime is going against christians. it's just another form of japanese arts, reflecting on their culture, and experiences 3nodding

Well it's the whole problem with magic and spell circles in anime that gets parents so upset.
Demons and things being in them exposes their children to what they think would lead their children to hell.
A perfectly reasonable fear for anyone who believes in such a place.
Like i said before there *is* a little cause for alarm in these poor parents and spiritual leaders, but not that much. At first glance to them it is something to be weary about. But if they say a whole range of anime, even mechas say who don't use magic or spell circles or anything, they would be able to see it for the artform it is.
But for now people remain too afraid to let their children be exposed to this....and that's natural for a parent. *shrugs*

8,125 Points
  • Forum Dabbler 200
  • Generous 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
im a christian and like anime.anime isnt a form of the devil.some christians take things way too seriously and i would know cause ive heard it.if someone doesnt like what i said there sorry but its true.im not an extremeist christian.most christians either see all the wrong animes or they just dont wanna take the time to look into anime and assume its all bad.im talking about extremist christians.the ones that dont accept other religions and all

8,125 Points
  • Forum Dabbler 200
  • Generous 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
Mameoyashi
FoXy-RoXc

Well it's the whole problem with magic and spell circles in anime that gets parents so upset.
Demons and things being in them exposes their children to what they think would lead their children to hell.
A perfectly reasonable fear for anyone who believes in such a place.
Like i said before there *is* a little cause for alarm in these poor parents and spiritual leaders, but not that much. At first glance to them it is something to be weary about. But if they say a whole range of anime, even mechas say who don't use magic or spell circles or anything, they would be able to see it for the artform it is.
But for now people remain too afraid to let their children be exposed to this....and that's natural for a parent. *shrugs*

those kids whos parents dont let them watch anime when they wanna i feel sorry for them.the parents are kinda ignorant there and the kids suffer from it.not literally but still my moms ignorant on alot of things and i suffer from it.its how things go.im lucky to get to watch anime and read manga
1. I think you can be christian and like anime, anime isn't evil!!
2. yes it does make me mad
3. I think it is close minded

I don't think that there's anything wrong with being homosexual, so I don't see that as evil. Also, as for this "witchcraft" first of all there is none, and "witchcraft" is actually wicca which is a religion that isn't evil at all. Maybe they should actually do some research on wicca, before they condemn it.

I understand that this person has the right to their opinion, but they shouldn't say everything so definitively, as though to say "this is evil, and there are no exceptions".

These kind of people make me mad, anime has nothing to do with "Satan" or "evil".
Thanks for all the replies. So eveyone feels that this "former fan of anime" has gone insane and is a radical christan. I must admit, I laughed several times during the reading of said article and site. I think they are a crazy.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff