Welcome to Gaia! ::

Eloquent Humorist

11,675 Points
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Tycoon 200
Is anybody else keeping up with it? I finally subscribed to Crunchyroll... I know, I should have done this years ago... And I'm trying to work myself down all the new pilot episodes.

I've seen...

Akame Ga Kill: Wow, I’m still recovering from this one... Okay, so a young and naive warrior named Tatsumi leaves his small vilalge for the much more affluent capital in order to raise money for his home. He’s a skilled fighter, but he has no idea how a larger community operates, and is willing to trust people rigfht off the bat, which works to amusing effect. After losing contact with his two childhood friends and traveling companions, his efforts to join the military go instantly wrong, which leads to him throwing all of his money at the first kind pair of breasts that offers to help him, ultimately screwing him over, leaving him broke and in need of shelter.
The series starts out funny and light-hearted at the outset, with a battle against an Earth Dragon showing us just how far the limited animation budget and inspired art design are going to work for us. Some of the jokes can be a bit on the lame side, and the expository information about how the capital is run is dumped by multiple characters with barely any set-up. It’s at the halfway point where the tone takes a sudden turn towards the grim-dark, and regardless of how you may feel about the unrelenting cruelty at play, you will not see it coming, and you will not forget about it anytime soon.
The writing’s kind of dumb and incompetant, and the way the first episode leaves off, there’s a bit of a blank slate to work with in the future... It’s difficult to see where this series will go, but I’m willing to see further.

Aldnoah Zero: I’ve never been a fan of mecha shows, so I’m reluctant to judge this series based on my first instinct alone, so I’ve actually watched this one twice. And yet, i still had to check Wikipedia to figure out what the hell was going on in it. Apparently in the seventies, we discovered an alien portal on the moon, and used it to colonize Mars, which led to a new civilization called the Vers empire, who seceeded from Earth.
The story takes place in 2014, but the moon was bloon up in an event called Angels Fall, in 1999. So yeah, it’s a story where most of the characters are teenagers, set 15 years after a mysterious disaster that’s been given a heavenly name. And that’s not it’s only allusion to Evangelion, either.
There’s a large number of characters, but it’s fairly obvious which one will become the lead. A disaster strikes while the princess of Vers is on a peace-making mission to Earth, and if you pay attention, it’s also fairly obvious who’s behind it.
I don’t know how to feel about this one... There’s a lot of potential down the road for this myriad of plot seeds and characters to intertwine and create something awesome, but I’m really more intrigued than engaged at this point.

Argevollen: Another mecha option, this anime drops us off into a war between two undefined countries. They fight with tanks and some decent-looking mechs. Tokimune is a hot-headed, altruistic young soldier who defies cautious orders in order to save the life of a random civillian... Because of course he is. He finds that civillian to be in possession of a revolutionary new mech that looks like every Gundam you’ve ever seen, because of course.
I’ve never been a mech fan, but at least Aldoah looked kind of interesting. It has some interesting ideas I’d like to see explored, and some characters I’d like to see further explored. It doesn’t look like everything ever made, ever. Argevollen, on the other hand... This is just flavorless and boring. I really don’t know what else to say about it. The set-up is weak, the execution is tepid, and the ending is dull. I wouldn’t hate to see another episode, but I wouldn’t be thrilled about it, either.

Blue Spring Ride: Three years ago, Futaba was stood up by the one and only boy in her school that she didn’t hate. Now, in high school, she’s reinvented herself as a treat guzzling, unkempt rude girl, because if she’s popular with the boys, all the other girls will hate her out of jealousy. The boy from her youth shows up again, but having suffered a divorce and an abrupt name-change, he’s grown cynical. He’s nice to her, but says cruel things... Oh, these mixed messages!
I’m going to have a lot of fun looking at this show. not watching, mind you, but looking at. Because it some really pretty, easy-on-the-eyes artwork going for it. The animation is kind of dull, which is par for the course in a shoujo anime. The characters are one note and flat, and the story just kind of meanders it’s way to a forced, idiotic conclusion. No stakes, no tension, just a somewhat pleasant tone and some pretty music to balance out the snails pace and flowery, sentimental melodrama..
Oh, and in case you haven’t picked up on this from my plot description, this could very well just be one more drop in the bottomless bucket of shows that borrow heavily from His and Her Circumstances, a show I already have trouble tolerating. It might not go that route, but at the same time, it might, so I just feel a little tentative about it for now.

And next, I'm watching DRAMAtical Murder. Oh joy.

How about you.

mv 's Problem

Spicy Dog

17,325 Points
  • Lavish Tipper 200
  • Timid 100
  • Sausage Fest 200
          I'm following Free! Eternal Summer, Tokyo Ghoul, Bakumatsu Rock, Shonen Hollywood, DRAMAtical Murder, Barakamon, Love Stage!!, Persona 4 The Golden Animation, and Zankyou no Terror.
Yup, since most of the series this summer are second seasons. I'm following Ao Haru Ride, Free Eternal Summer, SAO II, Re: Hamatora, Mahouka Rettousei, and Haikyuu!! Watched Dramatical Murder as well but I can't say whether or not I'll stick to that one.

Aged Codger

I'm loving Sabagebu.

Prophet

Crunchy roll isn't casting Tokyo Ghoul which is a shame! Funimation got the rights to it. I think Tokyo Ghoul should be appreciated by everyone. so I say go and check it out.

Dominant Lover

13,075 Points
  • V-Day 2011 Event 100
  • Somebody Likes You 100
  • Elysium's Gatekeeper 100
The only one that caught my attention was Sailor Moon Crystal and Haikyuu! They're both adorbs

Ice-Cold Superhero

18,550 Points
  • Angelic Alliance 100
  • Happy Birthday! 100
  • Blazing Power of Friendship Wave 200
Just Free! Eternal Summer and Sailor Moon Crystal for now.

Eloquent Humorist

11,675 Points
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Tycoon 200
Raycism
Crunchy roll isn't casting Tokyo Ghoul which is a shame! Funimation got the rights to it. I think Tokyo Ghoul should be appreciated by everyone. so I say go and check it out.

Yeah, but I don't want to subscribe to two different sites just to get the full experience. I'll check out Tokyo Ghoul and Terror in Resonance when the illegal steams pick them up.
The Fullmetal Narcissist
Is anybody else keeping up with it? I finally subscribed to Crunchyroll... I know, I should have done this years ago... And I'm trying to work myself down all the new pilot episodes.

I've seen...

Akame Ga Kill: Wow, I’m still recovering from this one... Okay, so a young and naive warrior named Tatsumi leaves his small vilalge for the much more affluent capital in order to raise money for his home. He’s a skilled fighter, but he has no idea how a larger community operates, and is willing to trust people rigfht off the bat, which works to amusing effect. After losing contact with his two childhood friends and traveling companions, his efforts to join the military go instantly wrong, which leads to him throwing all of his money at the first kind pair of breasts that offers to help him, ultimately screwing him over, leaving him broke and in need of shelter.
The series starts out funny and light-hearted at the outset, with a battle against an Earth Dragon showing us just how far the limited animation budget and inspired art design are going to work for us. Some of the jokes can be a bit on the lame side, and the expository information about how the capital is run is dumped by multiple characters with barely any set-up. It’s at the halfway point where the tone takes a sudden turn towards the grim-dark, and regardless of how you may feel about the unrelenting cruelty at play, you will not see it coming, and you will not forget about it anytime soon.
The writing’s kind of dumb and incompetant, and the way the first episode leaves off, there’s a bit of a blank slate to work with in the future... It’s difficult to see where this series will go, but I’m willing to see further.

Aldnoah Zero: I’ve never been a fan of mecha shows, so I’m reluctant to judge this series based on my first instinct alone, so I’ve actually watched this one twice. And yet, i still had to check Wikipedia to figure out what the hell was going on in it. Apparently in the seventies, we discovered an alien portal on the moon, and used it to colonize Mars, which led to a new civilization called the Vers empire, who seceeded from Earth.
The story takes place in 2014, but the moon was bloon up in an event called Angels Fall, in 1999. So yeah, it’s a story where most of the characters are teenagers, set 15 years after a mysterious disaster that’s been given a heavenly name. And that’s not it’s only allusion to Evangelion, either.
There’s a large number of characters, but it’s fairly obvious which one will become the lead. A disaster strikes while the princess of Vers is on a peace-making mission to Earth, and if you pay attention, it’s also fairly obvious who’s behind it.
I don’t know how to feel about this one... There’s a lot of potential down the road for this myriad of plot seeds and characters to intertwine and create something awesome, but I’m really more intrigued than engaged at this point.

Argevollen: Another mecha option, this anime drops us off into a war between two undefined countries. They fight with tanks and some decent-looking mechs. Tokimune is a hot-headed, altruistic young soldier who defies cautious orders in order to save the life of a random civillian... Because of course he is. He finds that civillian to be in possession of a revolutionary new mech that looks like every Gundam you’ve ever seen, because of course.
I’ve never been a mech fan, but at least Aldoah looked kind of interesting. It has some interesting ideas I’d like to see explored, and some characters I’d like to see further explored. It doesn’t look like everything ever made, ever. Argevollen, on the other hand... This is just flavorless and boring. I really don’t know what else to say about it. The set-up is weak, the execution is tepid, and the ending is dull. I wouldn’t hate to see another episode, but I wouldn’t be thrilled about it, either.

Blue Spring Ride: Three years ago, Futaba was stood up by the one and only boy in her school that she didn’t hate. Now, in high school, she’s reinvented herself as a treat guzzling, unkempt rude girl, because if she’s popular with the boys, all the other girls will hate her out of jealousy. The boy from her youth shows up again, but having suffered a divorce and an abrupt name-change, he’s grown cynical. He’s nice to her, but says cruel things... Oh, these mixed messages!
I’m going to have a lot of fun looking at this show. not watching, mind you, but looking at. Because it some really pretty, easy-on-the-eyes artwork going for it. The animation is kind of dull, which is par for the course in a shoujo anime. The characters are one note and flat, and the story just kind of meanders it’s way to a forced, idiotic conclusion. No stakes, no tension, just a somewhat pleasant tone and some pretty music to balance out the snails pace and flowery, sentimental melodrama..
Oh, and in case you haven’t picked up on this from my plot description, this could very well just be one more drop in the bottomless bucket of shows that borrow heavily from His and Her Circumstances, a show I already have trouble tolerating. It might not go that route, but at the same time, it might, so I just feel a little tentative about it for now.

And next, I'm watching DRAMAtical Murder. Oh joy.

How about you.

Just got Netflix, so I'm going to find what I can. I will definitely look into any mecha anime (for obvious reasons).

I spent the entire weekend watching all 26 episodes of "Strawberry Panic." I never had an anime tug at my heartstrings before.

clockworkzog's Prince

Feral Humorist

15,825 Points
  • Luminary Melee Champion 200
  • Cat Fancier 100
  • Conventioneer 300
gaia_crown

Free!- Eternal Summer, Haikyuu!!, Barakamon, DRAMAtical Murder, Love Stage!!, Shounen Hollywood, Monthly Shoujo Nozaki-kun, and Bakumatsu Rock

Though, so far my favourite is Bakumatsu Rock *o*

Magical Shoujo

haven't watched them all yet but this season sure seems promising~

Greedy Capitalist

I'm a cheapskate so I'm waiting for all the episodes to be available to free users.
I have watched the first episode of Barakamon (on youtube), I want to watch the rest of the series but it's not available in my country so I'll probably have to wait ages and buy it on dvd/bluray.

I've watched the first episode of Tokyo Ghoul (again on youtube) but so far it's not my thing. I dunno if I'll be able to watch the rest since it's also not available in my country.

I'm watching Haikyuu, it's awesome and hilarious.

I plan on watching/trying Free:Eternal Summer, Glasslip, Argevollen, Aldnoah Zero, HaNaYaMaTa, Yamishibai 2, Sabagebu! - Survival Game Club!, Bakumatsu Rock and Shonen Hollywood. I might try some of the others too.

Eloquent Humorist

11,675 Points
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Tycoon 200
Dramatical Murder: Aoba has a junk shop, he wears all blue, and he doesn’t really care about anything. He gets drawn into some virtual game that he was avoiding, and I’m betting he’ll turn out to be awesome at it.
Man... Yaoi fans will watch anything, won’t they? As long as the BL label is splashed across it, they’ll even go crazy over this butt-ugly eyesore of an animation error. I really don’t have much to say about it... I drew what little plot information I have about it off of Wikipedia, there’s a lot of weird things that I don’t care about going on at once, and it has the animation budget of a flipbook made out of a napkin. There's so much going on in this future environment that is confusing and poorly explained, the art style is so strikingly bad that it gives me a headache just looking at it... I don't care. I don't care, I don't care, I don't care.
It’s boring, and looks ugly, and yet it still interests me a bit more than Argevollen does.

Glasslip: Touka, the daughter of a glass blower, spends time with her friends as they contemplate their adult lives. She sketches and adopts a chicken, while making fiendly with the attractive boy who just transfered to the area.
Yeah, it’s a slice of life, and yeah, it’s pretty directionless. It’s like Tamako Market without the bird. There’s not much going on... At least not this early in... But I’m still enjoying it just based on tone and visuals alone. The animation is high quality, the artwork is real darn purty, and I can honestly see myself giving it a few more episodes before coming to a decision on it. I like looking at the chaickens, I like looking at the main girl and her friends, and I really liked the animation of the fireworks. I’m really hoping there’s at least a K-on level of plot immersion in the future... And if you know K-on, you know that’s not asking much at all.

Hanayatama: Naru thinks of herself as average. She doesn’t realize how pretty she is, she doesn’t realize how much people love her, and she’s completely introverted, too scared to do anything that might upset her routine. She’s jealous of her friend Yaya, who she believes to be superior to herself. She makes a wish for somebody to take her away from this world, and she’s overheard by an American girl dancing in the moonlight. She assumes her to be a fairy, which leads to Naru being dragged head-first into Hana’s ambition to dance the Yosakoi.
What a piece of crap. I thought Dramatical Murder would be the worst “straight person’s LGBT fantasy”anime of the season, but this show is not afraid to be as derivative as possible while delivering enough sugary-sweet, color-coded moe manipulation to give any viewer diabetes of the brain.
It has a few funny moments, but they’re far between. It has some good artwork, and a very well animated opening, but aside from that, I was feeling nothing from this episode. It’s not the worst so far, though.

Locodol: Nanako wants to buy a cute swimsuit to go to the pool with, but she’s short on money... so her uncle offers her a job at a pool event! And just wait, this job is... Wearing the swimsuit onstage and becoming a local idol!
Yeah, there’s an inherent creepy-factor to a show about an uncle forcing his niece to do something like this... I generally do like idol-based shows, and while this one isn’t nearly as awful as Idolmaster was, it’s still a little iffy for me. It’s pleasant, with decent animation and a pretty good sense of pace, but that creepy factor... Wow.
Well, Love Live may have been my number one favorite anime of 2013... Yes, I liked the CGI dancing show more than I liked Attack on Titan and Kotoura-san, go figure... I really don’t asee this one living up to it. We’ll give it a fair chance, and see where it goes.

Love Stage: When Izumi was a child, he dressed up like a girl to star in a wedding commercial alongside another boy who was a rising actor. Now, ten years later, that boy has blown up big time, and he wants to do a sequel to that classic commercial! But he wants the entire original cast to appear in it! Will Izumi really go through with this, just so his obsessed fan mother can meet her favorite teen idol?
Okay, full disclosure time... I’m a straight guy, but I HAVE dabbled in yaoi before. I haven’t seen much of it, but most of what I’ve seen is crap. It relies waty too heavily on Love At First Sight, and seems intent on glorifying and objectifying the male/male relationships that it rushes way too quickly into, with barely any new ideas to distinguish itself. The only one I’ve kind of liked so far was Loveless, and I saw that years ago.
So I feel kind of weird saying this, but as of this writing, Love Stage is my favorite show of the season so far. It is so fiendishly clever, and has had me laughing harder than any other show on this rotation. It’s not much of a spoiler to say that Izumi accepts the job... Kind of a boring yaoi if he didn’t... But the REASON he accepts it, as well as all the little stage-fright moments that happen afterwards, are all so gut bustingly hilarious that you’ll have to go in blind and see them for yourselves.
Let’s see if future episodes keep the laughs coming!
So, this season I picked up Akame ga Kill, Aldnoah.Zero, Ao Haru Ride, Barakamon, Sailor Moon: Crystal, Free!: Eternal Summer, Glasslip, RE: Hamatora, Hanayamata, Persona 4 The Golden Animation, Rail Wars, Shirogane no Ishi: Argevollen, Sword Art Online II, Tokyo ESP, Tokyo Ghoul, Yama no Susume: Second Season, and Zankyou no Terror. A lot, certainly; but, it's summer, so meh. Still considering whether or not to pick up Gekkan Shoujo Nozaki-kun, which would be the last.

From those listed, the ones to have caught my attention this season are Barakamon, which I find really quaint and funny, Aldnoah.Zero, and Zankyou no Terror. This is based on first impressions only, so the jury is still out, but based on the pilot episode of the other shows, and second episodes for a few of them, I think these three would probably be my favourites of the season.
Faulty Information
So, this season I picked up Akame ga Kill, Aldnoah.Zero, Ao Haru Ride, Barakamon, Sailor Moon: Crystal, Free!: Eternal Summer, Glasslip, RE: Hamatora, Hanayamata, Persona 4 The Golden Animation, Rail Wars, Shirogane no Ishi: Argevollen, Sword Art Online II, Tokyo ESP, Tokyo Ghoul, Yama no Susume: Second Season, and Zankyou no Terror. A lot, certainly; but, it's summer, so meh. Still considering whether or not to pick up Gekkan Shoujo Nozaki-kun, which would be the last.

From those listed, the ones to have caught my attention this season are Barakamon, which I find really quaint and funny, Aldnoah.Zero, and Zankyou no Terror. This is based on first impressions only, so the jury is still out, but based on the pilot episode of the other shows, and second episodes for a few of them, I think these three would probably be my favourites of the season.

I wonder what you'll think of Nobunaga Concerto, thinking of starting it right now myself and being a historical piece... thought you'd like it. Hope it's good.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff