Welcome to Gaia! ::

Versatile Receiver

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2013/01/28/dc-nation-gets-a-shakeup-in-new-cartoon-network-schedules-young-justice-and-green-lantern-nixed/

They aren't on the returning shows list and one of GLTAS's creators confirmed it was canned on Twitter. This is really disappointing :C

Tipsy Senshi

18,175 Points
  • Magical Girl 50
  • Stellar Lieutenant 200
  • Hotblooded Hero 50
And so it has been and so it is written,
On the doorway to paradise...

In a way this news doesn't shock me and I think a small part of myself had been preparing for this to happen. Its been evident for quite a while that, for whatever reason, CN hates both of these shows. They've done everything in their power to make sure that these shows wouldn't succeed by putting them on seemingly endless hiatus after hiatus. I can't speak to GLTAS but Young Justice at least has continued time and time again to succeed in the spite of them. But maybe good ratings aren't what CN was looking for out of these shows. Maybe they wanted something that could sell a lot of toys and merchandise, or perhaps the DVD sales didn't do well enough. I doubt CN will release a statement about it so we'll probably never know the real reason why. Personally I tend to lean towards the toys and merch theory though.

Perhaps its just me but it feels like a lot of modern action cartoons are stuck in this really awkward place where they don't appeal as widely to young children as they do to pre-teens, teens, and adults. Yet the networks seem to expect them to perform in the same way and end up marketing merchandise for these programs to groups outside the main audience. Often opting for bad looking cheap plastic toys rather than higher end figures that an older audience might be interested in, nor do they look into creating other types of merchandise teens or young adults might enjoy. Its all about the toys, they want another ninja turtles era toy frenzy. Young Justice was probably doomed the minute the toy line was cancelled. I could be wrong about all of that since it was mostly a personal observation, but its one theory at least.

Sorry that I made this so much about YJ and not GLTAS, I know both fandoms are suffering. However I'm just more familiar with Young Justice so that's what I spoke to.

This might sound a tad melodramatic but once YJ finishes up I honestly think I'll done with CN for a little while. I think I need to take a break for at least a couple of years. It shouldn't be too difficult, I'm mainly only intereted in action cartoons and neither of the new DC nation shows appeal to me.
...That those who falter and those who fall
Must pay the price!

Clever Contender

12,025 Points
  • Profitable 100
  • Popular Thread 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400
I'm glad I found this thread here. There is already a petition, and it is getting signatures VERY quickly. Why not earn your Blue Ring of Hope, and sign for what good it can do?

https://www.change.org/petitions/cartoon-network-warner-bros-bring-back-young-justice-and-green-lantern-the-animated-series

Dangerous Visionary

Again not shocked. Espeically about Green Lantern as EVERYONE hated it as soon as they saw the promo art and found that it was in CGI. It's always been an uphill battle from the get go and its been like pulling teeth to get people to watch GL:tas. Young Justice also not that shock because its a Greg' baby and people are always abusing Greg's babies rather its Disney, Nick and now Cartoon Network. gonk Also didn't anyone pay attention to the DC trailers CN/DC first announced they shown a bunch of promos for shorts? This was just a matter of time. After they announced they were going to bring back Teen Titans I was pretty sure they would get rid of Green Lantern for Beware the Batman then switch out that for Teen Titans but then the shooting happen in Aurora happen....so yeah.. delayed till now it seems.

Let's just be glad that GL had a good season and YJ had two great seasons. That's more than what other series get these days and finish strong. As people have the tendency to stop watching series after announcements like this.

Plus who knows maybe they will be uncanceled later. I mean Thundercats is kind of canceled but not really and CN did try to save face with the Generator Rex fans and aired the last few episodes so maybe these shows still have hope of coming back one day?
It is not the length of the show that matters. It is how good the show was while it lasted that matters. Yes it sucks that Young Justice only gets 46 episodes and Green Lantern only got twenty six but the shows had very good runs so I can't complain. I would rather a show end when it is still good then to last long enough for me to hate it.

Also online petitions don't work if you want to save these shows watch the final episodes, tell other people to watch them and support the DVD releases. High DVD sales and ratings save a show, petitions do not. Online petitions can lie but ratings and DVD sales do not.

Dangerous Visionary

Creativerealms
It is not the length of the show that matters. It is how good the show was while it lasted that matters. Yes it sucks that Young Justice only gets 46 episodes and Green Lantern only got twenty six but the shows had very good runs so I can't complain. I would rather a show end when it is still good then to last long enough for me to hate it.

Also online petitions don't work if you want to save these shows watch the final episodes, tell other people to watch them and support the DVD releases. High DVD sales and ratings save a show, petitions do not. Online petitions can lie but ratings and DVD sales do not.

Agreed. Though in this era even that doesn't really say much (ratings and DVD sales) I rather if ever watch anything in real time nor do I buy DVD. I most likely wait for it on Netflix or if I do want to own it I download some of the better eps on my cousin's ipad. Really, I think such things are the reasons why we keep losing good shows because the Networks are still trapped in the 20th century. Who, How, When, and were people watch TV shows have changed dramatically and they don't seem to understand that. I think CN is pissed because not enough of their targeted demographics (7-14) cared to tune in and instead they got mostly the older teens and college crowd. But then I do dare say that I think that's IS the main age group that watch animated series now. I haven't been in a early education center in a while but last time I was most of the youngsters were into live action shows like icarly, WWE, Hanna montanta, and Jake and Josh. NOT Spongebob, animated superheroes series, or cartoons in general. If they ARE into Superheroes its mainly from the summer movies their misguided parents took them to see. stare

Anyway personally, I don't watch very many live action series as all the sitcoms bleed into each other and have the same type of storylines. All the cop and drama shows seem to just be NYPD or West Wing remakes, and Reality shows of ALL types are just an insult to my intelligence and a waste of time IMPO. Basically its all been said and done at this point on American TV. Which is why I'm glad Netflix has so many international programs and movies.
Miss-dark8607
Creativerealms

Agreed. Though in this era even that doesn't really say much (ratings and DVD sales) I rather if ever watch anything in real time nor do I buy DVD. I most likely wait for it on Netflix or if I do want to own it I download some of the better eps on my cousin's ipad. Really, I think such things are the reasons why we keep losing good shows because the Networks are still trapped in the 20th century. Who, How, When, and were people watch TV shows have changed dramatically and they don't seem to understand that. I think CN is pissed because not enough of their targeted demographics (7-14) cared to tune in and instead they got mostly the older teens and college crowd. But then I do dare say that I think that's IS the main age group that watch animated series now. I haven't been in a early education center in a while but last time I was most of the youngsters were into live action shows like icarly, WWE, Hanna montanta, and Jake and Josh. NOT Spongebob, animated superheroes series, or cartoons in general. If they ARE into Superheroes its mainly from the summer movies their misguided parents took them to see. stare

Anyway personally, I don't watch very many live action series as all the sitcoms bleed into each other and have the same type of storylines. All the cop and drama shows seem to just be NYPD or West Wing remakes, and Reality shows of ALL types are just an insult to my intelligence and a waste of time IMPO. Basically its all been said and done at this point on American TV. Which is why I'm glad Netflix has so many international programs and movies.

What's really bad is that Cable and Satelite providers still use the very outdated Neilson box system to provide ratings. In this digital age that system should be obsolete. There should be ways to record all the viewers in this age and not just a sample of them.

Anyway all legal means should add to a show, that includes Cartoon Network's web site, Netflix, Hulu, Crackle and what ever. That if and when Cartoon Network and DC put their shows on Netflix watching the shows there should count toward "saving them."

Yeah it is a problem that the target age group would rather watch something else. Also they don't even have a loyalty to these shows. Kids tend to move on to the next show the moment an old one is gone and forget it ever existed. Hanna Montana might not even exist today. Also it should be known that I have nothing against live action shows, frankly rather then complain about shows I don't like I just ignore them.

Dangerous Visionary

Creativerealms

What's really bad is that Cable and Satelite providers still use the very outdated Neilson box system to provide ratings. In this digital age that system should be obsolete. There should be ways to record all the viewers in this age and not just a sample of them.

Anyway all legal means should add to a show, that includes Cartoon Network's web site, Netflix, Hulu, Crackle and what ever. That if and when Cartoon Network and DC put their shows on Netflix watching the shows there should count toward "saving them."

Yeah it is a problem that the target age group would rather watch something else. Also they don't even have a loyalty to these shows. Kids tend to move on to the next show the moment an old one is gone and forget it ever existed. Hanna Montana might not even exist today. Also it should be known that I have nothing against live action shows, frankly rather then complain about shows I don't like I just ignore them.

Agreed and then they want to play games with the Networks and streaming services. It just leaves a bad taste in everyone's mouth and one of the many factors why this pretty much the end of an era and I can't say I will miss TV as we know it. I'm glad Netflix has House of Cards and I hope that more services like Netflix start creating their own programming so that cable/Sat,the traditional networks, and all that will just die off. I enjoy being able to watch what I want without any annoying commercials and a FULL season of a show without worry that its going to poof away, the networks will have a fight with my provider and I lose the whole channel or more, or whatever. (Although yes some series do expire but like after six months to a year at times. ) Overall its just a better deal being about to either stream or download TV shows and movies.

Its funny if I did have any kids right now I probably wouldn't let them watch half the animated series out right now speaking first as Early Educator and maybe many other parents feel the same way? IDK. Everything just keeps changing and people will just have to adapt.

Headstrong Senshi

20,150 Points
  • Magical Girl 50
  • Power Surge 50
  • Team Player 50
Aw man! I liked both of those cartoons. I was wondering why they were showing alot of Teen Titan shorts on their shows while they were on. Are they going to have a Crystal Amethest cartoon too? sweatdrop

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff