Welcome to Gaia! ::

Who's your favorite character on Avatar: The Legend of Korra?

Korra 0.28125 28.1% [ 27 ]
Mako 0.072916666666667 7.3% [ 7 ]
Bolin 0.14583333333333 14.6% [ 14 ]
Asami 0.041666666666667 4.2% [ 4 ]
Tenzin 0.03125 3.1% [ 3 ]
Jinora/Ikki/Meelo 0.03125 3.1% [ 3 ]
Lin Beifong 0.11458333333333 11.5% [ 11 ]
Iroh 0.072916666666667 7.3% [ 7 ]
Amon 0.041666666666667 4.2% [ 4 ]
Other 0.16666666666667 16.7% [ 16 ]
Total Votes:[ 96 ]
< 1 2 3 4 ... 18 19 20 >

Kid Kryptonite
Creativerealms
I promise to never talk about Teen titans on this topic ever again. Clearly how I feel about the show is different from most people.
I mean we all have different opinions, so it's okay to talk about a show you didn't like. I never really liked Batma: TBAB, but I understand how it's comedy works more with the stories they have. It's good for staying true to the classic comic style and campiness of the old Super Friends cartoon.

Well I hate how the silver age campyness of Super Friends and for that matter the live action Batman worked. I feel they handled it in the wrong way. For me the way BATB handled it is the right way, in a way where it's just pure fun. I love how batman himself is still a serous dark character who only says a couple puns here or there. It really worked when Gotham is compared to the rest of the BaTB world. Gotham is seen as this dark bleak hellhole of a city in an otherwise bright and colerful world. It's the contrast that makes the comedy work. Batman plays the straight man to a world or silly characters.

Which is why I stand by my comment of it being silver age cheese done right. I also stand by that when it gets serous it's very serous. Clearly your showing a bias top the show based on it's art style. And that's just dumb Teen Titans has an art style a hundred times as silly and unable to take seriously yet you LIKE those serous episodes. You clearly have not even seen the serous episodes of Brave and the bold so you have NO right to say serous stories can't work in that show.

If The Bruce Timm Universe can do Silver Age campy episodes and do them well then Brave and the Bold can do serous episodes and do them well.

Spoilers for Chill of the Night:
The Specter and The Phantom Stranger play the role of an devil and an angel fighting over the soul of the Batman. The Specter wants Batman as a spirit of vengeance like him while PS wants Batman to be an agent of justice. This leads to the two of them trying to prove batman's true nature.

The episode itself begins with batman as a priest visiting a dying gangster. On his death bed the gangster tells batman that his only regret was putting a hit on a doctor Tomas Wayne. This leads Batman to his parents killer who he has to confront while the Specter pushes Batman towards killing him.

Let me stop there if I say more you won't have to see it and I feel haters of BATB should at least see this episode. Yes is IS as dark as the darkest Batman the animated series episode. yes I would say it's as dark as "Over the edge" the episode with batgirl's death.

Also like i already said BATB has a pretty big death count for a show, I call it deceptively dark for as light and soft as it seems. It leaves death in characters origins, brings in characters only to kill them, and even kills off a character that never dies in the comics (as far as I know)

Being Campy does not make it bad if the camp is done right and camp is very hard to do right. Brave and the bold in my opinion is the ONLY time it's done right. The campy silver age episodes of the DCAU (The Timm verse) wish they were as good as the average episode of Brave and the bold.

The Young Justice info I got from Greg Weisman co creator of the show. I follow the man's question and answer board. I have for years. I have been a huge fan of the man since Gargoyles started. He answered a question about how he and the team did not want to call the show Young Justice and that DC had them call it that for name recognition. So no they were not planning on calling it young Justice from day one. Though the change was pretty early in development.

So Justice League was much more loyal? You mean like Having Wonder woman start off as a rookie, having John as the first green Lantern of Earth and a founder of the Justice League, having Hawk Girl but no Hawk man. Really Justice League changed just as much if not more then Young Justice with it's line up. Cartoons and alternate universe are allowed to do their own things because they are just that ALTERNATE REALITIES.

I would prefer Tim and Bart myself mainly because I prefer d**k as Nightwing Though to be honest I'm happy to have Wally at all given how currently in the comics he never existed. However to say it's "butchering" the comics is going way to far as it's not an adaption of the comics even if the name was planned from day one (Which it was not) it was never an adaptation of the comic with the same name.

People only make the butcher comments because it's called Young Justice, Because they compare it to the young Justice comic. It's the only DC cartoon that seems to be compared that closely to the comic. It's not fair. It no more "butchers" the comics then any other DC cartoon does.
Most of my information is stuff I got from Ask Greg to be honest.

There is a reason they went with Grayson and Wally over Tim and Bart. The world Young Justice takes place in. Super heroes have not been around long in this world. Maybe ten years or so. It is still a young world. So of course the first sidekicks for people are being used. Also the show is doing it's own thing it's not suppose to be a direct adaptation of the Young Justice comic. It's not "butchering" anything.
I've checked out the episode you're referring to and honestly it just doesn't have the same impact. I just don't take BATB seriously with the animation style and dialogue, it's too campy. I prefer the Timmverse Batman series or even the Batman series over BATB. It did have some good use of focusing on lesser known characters, but I just prefer other 90's and above DC shows.

As for Young Justice, I know what world they decided to put the characters in. They said it was in the comics Earth-16, but even that isn't correct so it is a completely seperate entity from the comics. I would just prefer if it was closer to the comics and stayed true to the members. Since this show is related to the comics with the name and whole sidekick theme, it did butcher characters and timeline.
I feel really stupid here. I am taking a bunch of cartoons too seriously. Cartoons suppose to be something I enjoy watching, something that suppose to be fun and something I am suppose to have fun watching. They are not something I butt heads over due to a difference of opinion.

I understand why you don't like Brave and the bold even if I don't see why the art style prevents you from taking it seriously? I get the tone of most episodes can do that but the art style it self really is not much "campier" then any other art style. But hey that's just my opinion. I get and understand your dislike of camp even agree.

I say it's silver age camp done right and that when it wants to be serous it is serous. Clearly you don't agree and that's fine.

I was never once trying to say that Batman the Brave and the bold was better then any part of the DCAU. All I was trying to say was that it can do serous episodes and can do them well. Clearly you don't agree. I did say it was better then Teen Titans and I stick to it. Really how is Teen Titans NOT camp. I find it just as campy as Brave and the bold to be honest and it's even harder for me to take seriously due to it's art style.

Really as a while Batman TAS is better, Superman TAS is better, Batman Beyond is better, and JL/JLU is better. however Brave and the bold is a much better show then Teen Titans and it's also better then Static Shock and Legion of Super Heroes.

I'm not saying your wrong and I realize your not saying I'm wrong. It is simply a matter of opinion.

Now I really hate calling the DCAU the "timmverse" that title makes it sound like Bruce Timm was responsible for the whole universe and all the episodes/characters in it. He wasn't. Hell by Justice League/JLU he and Paul Dani really did not do much for the show. Also Teen Titans is not part of the Timm Verse.

The reason this "butchering" comment annoys me so is because people (not just you) only use it for Young Justice. They only complain about the changes it made from the comics. Only complain about the ages being wrong, the characters dressing wrong, the character's acting wrong in this series.

"Since this show is related to the comics with the name and whole sidekick theme." So it has teen Super heroes and the show is called Young Justice. that does not mean it was ever going to be a direct adaptation of the comics. Young Justice is a seperate entinity and always was going to be. I might be wrong about the name thing (I can't find proof Greg ever said what I say he says.) but just because it teen heroes does not mean it has to be like the young justice comic. Hell I'm surprised you liked the Young Justice comic. You clearly hate humor in super hero comics and the Young Justice comic is filled with humor. It was a comedy comic that was rarely serous early on.

Oh that "Earth 16" thing is not Earth 16 of the comics but Earth 16 of the connected universes of the Movie Crisis on Two Earths. It is such because it has the same art style but is not the same Earth so it's Earth 16. Once again doing it's own thing is not the same as butchering.

Your saying it should be just like the comic because it's called "Young Justice" and has teen heroes. Why can't they have a show with Teen heroes do it's own thing why? can't they use the characters they want to use and the plots they want to tell? Why did Young Justice have to be like the comic and because it's not they butchered the comic with the same name? If it was suppose to be an adaptation of the comic I would agree with you but IT'S NOT AN ADAPTATION OF THE YOUNG JUSTICE COMIC AND IT WAS NEVER SUPPOSE TO BE. It can't butcher a source it was never based on in the first place

Examples: Teen Titans is called Teen Titans, has the cast of the 80's Teen Titans team and it does not follow the story of the comics. it changes the characters, avoids using real identities, really tones downs the story lines. The character personalities in the Titans cartoons are nothing like they were in the eighties comic, the tone is nothing like it. You know I have called Teen Titans a butchering of the 80's comic but I realize it's not.

Batman The Animated series: It never really followed the plot or story of any Batman comic. It had some comic book adaptations like Laughing Fish, Demon's Quest, Joker's millions, but for the most part did it's own thing. It made Mr. Freeze into a complatly new character with the same name, it turned the Mat Hagan clayface into an actor. It skipped Jason Todd and altered Tim Drake's origin to be closer to Todds.

It pisses me off that Young Justice is singled out for this whole "They made changes it sucks" it makes no more changes then any other cartoon. It shares the name of the comic and both deal with Teen Heroes. That are the only similarities and those were always meant to be the only similarities.

Once again I'm sorry for taking this too seriously.
Hey Kid Kryptonite I'm curous which Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles cartoon do you prefer? The 1987 cartoon or the 2003?

I have a hidden reason for asking this so please go into detail.
It's not just the art style of BATB, but the dialogue of the whole show. Teen Titans had better character development and we got to feel more for the characters. It wasn't constant camp and the outfits had more edge. It is just a difference of opinion.

I call it the Timmverse because it's his artstyle and those shows are connected in the same universe. I know Teen Titans is not apart of it and I wasn't counting that show, but all the others.

I also have never said that Young Justice sucked, it's actually the best DC show I've seen. Great animation, storylines, and character development. My only issue was the whole manipulation of the comic and DC universe, it's the most drastic they've done. Atleast in Teen Titans, I understood the diversity and they were team members from the comics. Funny enough Young Justice has become a weird mixed version of Teen Titans.
Creativerealms
Hey Kid Kryptonite I'm curous which Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles cartoon do you prefer? The 1987 cartoon or the 2003?

I have a hidden reason for asking this so please go into detail.
The 2003 cartoon hands down. It just was a better made version, the animation and storylines were improved. I also really enjoyed the final movie Turtles Together when they joined all the versions, it really did justice on the original comics.

Humorist

16,800 Points
  • Knife Club Lifetime Membership 0
  • Threadmaster 200
  • Peoplewatcher 100
The Young Justice thread seems to have gone off topic so I'm trying here first.

YJ episode "Insecurity". Who was the Spidey wannabe (puns and all, even sounded like Spectacular Spiderman). And is this the first time we find out Artemis' mother is Huntress? And wasn't Huntress and good guy on JLU? Why was she in jail?
ImKagetsu
The Young Justice thread seems to have gone off topic so I'm trying here first.

YJ episode "Insecurity". Who was the Spidey wannabe (puns and all, even sounded like Spectacular Spiderman). And is this the first time we find out Artemis' mother is Huntress? And wasn't Huntress and good guy on JLU? Why was she in jail?
Yeah, Artemis' father was revealed as Sportsmaster as well. I don't really understand why Huntress was a criminal and why she's in a wheelchair, it kinda reminds me of Barbara Gordon a bit. idk, this whole continuity is throwing me for a loop lately.

I was weirded out by the Spidey wannabe too, I thought DC was poking fun at Marvel.
The season finale of Ben 10 was like every other episode, predictable. I did like the new ultimate Waybig, but he didn't really do anything I haven't seen the regular one do. I guess that's the same for ultimate Wildmutt, but they looked cool, so whatever. Like every finale, villain was defeated and he got a new watch.

I hate this new Ben 10 Omniverse, the animation looks awful. I'm guessing this is just a spin-off and they're going to go back to the other universe at some point.
I also have seen the last episodes of season 3 for Generator Rex. If you guys want to watch them, PM me.

Humorist

16,800 Points
  • Threadmaster 200
  • Peoplewatcher 100
Kid Kryptonite
The season finale of Ben 10 was like every other episode, predictable. I did like the new ultimate Waybig, but he didn't really do anything I haven't seen the regular one do. I guess that's the same for ultimate Wildmutt, but they looked cool, so whatever. Like every finale, villain was defeated and he got a new watch.

I hate this new Ben 10 Omniverse, the animation looks awful. I'm guessing this is just a spin-off and they're going to go back to the other universe at some point.
I really only watch Ben 10 ultimate for the Gwen/Kevin moments and for when Julie and Ship are in scene.

Omniverse? Now I remember seeing a bump and thinking "they must have changed the animators again". If I'm right, I'll give it a try. I didn't think I'd like the original Ben 10 but did. Hopefully they'll stay away from 3D like destroy all aliens. (uhgg). CN con not do 3D very well.

Humorist

16,800 Points
  • Threadmaster 200
  • Peoplewatcher 100
I probably missed something, but when did the "whack-a-mole" story creep into young justice?

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff