Welcome to Gaia! ::

Eloquent Streaker

Innuendo in a children's cartoon, you say?

Divine Bard

13,025 Points
  • Bookworm 100
  • Magical Girl 50
  • Elysium's Gatekeeper 100
I believe this is the part where Yakko Warner would go "Goodnight, everybody!"
AroundtheRainbow
pockybot
No other kids cartoon how more deliberate, hardcore sexual inuendo than Rockos Modern Life. My fave cartoon still to this day, but man...no wonder all the new dvds are edited.

Haha I haven't watched the episodes recently, but I was like 4 when I watched it, so I can't remember the sexual innuendo, but I do remember when their turtle friend married the doctor with the hook for a hand. And a few other episodes.

I guess Adventure Time can't touch Rocko?

No but regular Show does. Now this might piss some people off so let me explain.

I see Regular show as a spiritual successor to Rocko's Modern Life. Both are shows with a sitcom style them, that take everyday situations and give them insane twists. The characters are normal guys who go though crazy adventures. There is a straight man and his dumber sidekick who often drags him down. Also Regular show matches Rocko when it comes to innuendos as well.

And yes the creators of Regular show have stated that Rocko's modern life is one of their inspirations.

Timid Phantom

Creativerealms
AroundtheRainbow
pockybot
No other kids cartoon how more deliberate, hardcore sexual inuendo than Rockos Modern Life. My fave cartoon still to this day, but man...no wonder all the new dvds are edited.

Haha I haven't watched the episodes recently, but I was like 4 when I watched it, so I can't remember the sexual innuendo, but I do remember when their turtle friend married the doctor with the hook for a hand. And a few other episodes.

I guess Adventure Time can't touch Rocko?

No but regular Show does. Now this might piss some people off so let me explain.

I see Regular show as a spiritual successor to Rocko's Modern Life. Both are shows with a sitcom style them, that take everyday situations and give them insane twists. The characters are normal guys who go though crazy adventures. There is a straight man and his dumber sidekick who often drags him down. Also Regular show matches Rocko when it comes to innuendos as well.

And yes the creators of Regular show have stated that Rocko's modern life is one of their inspirations.

Haha I can believe it! I do enjoy Regular Show...like the one when Mordecai saw Pops naked on accident, way too funny and in a way, it does remind me of Rocko...I suppose.

Unbeatable Raider

Wait. Sexual innuendo in Scooby Doo is a problem, but the obivous fact that Shaggy and Scooby have always walked around in a dope haze isn't?

Unbeatable Seeker

I know that I watched a bunch of shows that had innuendo when I was a kid - heck, i even watched Ren and Stimpy when I could get away with it. I figure if I didn't become some horrible delinquent because of the television I watched, then the next generation will make it through just fine. Kids don't understand most of that stuff anyway.

Timid Prophet

Rocko's ModernLife,Anything the WB did back in the 90's are some of the best jokes I've heard.

Interesting Conversationalist

10,450 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Contributor 150
Let's get one thing straight first: Disney cartoons and Looney Tunes weren't originally made for children. Thank you. whee

Now then, every cartoon that's come after these two powerhouses, unless educational and dull, have innuendos. A really rauncy player was Ren and Stempy, and Rocko's Modern Life was a follower on the same path. Animaniacs though, in my opinion, had the most because they hid them in nearly all their episodes, which consisted of three or so short story format cartoons.

Fashionable Noob

I'm tempted to link tvtrope's Getting Past the Radar trope here.

But to share a bit, Phineas and Ferb has tons of it.

Timid Phantom

Chorvy
I'm tempted to link tvtrope's Getting Past the Radar trope here.

But to share a bit, Phineas and Ferb has tons of it.

I've never seen Phineas and Ferb, but I feel like I just may have to for the innuendo.
Wait no...I saw some of one episode where the bad guys team name was Lovemuffin or something like that. Pretty funny.

Dangerous Inquisitor

10,300 Points
  • Flatterer 200
  • Millionaire 200
  • Sausage Fest 200
Jimmy from Ed, Edd n' Eddy was an example of a gay stereotype.

Spongebob: Look, dubloons! (Holds up soap)
Don't drop 'em.
._.'
I'll let you figure that one out.

Devoted Miko

The short skirt comment isn't really anything to be upset about. Daphne still has a bit of her 60's style, right? I watched a few of the new Scooby Doo cartoons when I was babysitting my cousin, and I have to say, I was a bit surprised. I was a bit creeped out by the fact that Velma constantly tried to "be alone" and "have some privacy" with Shaggy. Is that an overreaction?
Put me in the spotlight...

I grew up watching shows filled with sexual innuendos and I didnt turn out bad at all. It all went over my head and I didn't understand the jokes. I love Animaniacs, The Simpsons, etc.

To me parents tend to be way too overprotective these days. When I was a kid no one would complain about Daphne's skirt. It's ridiculous how freaked out parents get these days over minor things like that. You dont ever see her butt/underwear so why is it so bad?

I was born for it.

Witty Hunter

8,050 Points
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Voter 100
  • Friendly 100
I don't really have a problem with innuendos in children's shows (within reason, obviously). Because, really, are they even going to catch it at their age? Probably not. Adding a couple more mature jokes makes it just as enjoyable for older viewers as for younger ones. There's something for everyone. biggrin
SolrSurfr3
I don't really have a problem with innuendos in children's shows (within reason, obviously). Because, really, are they even going to catch it at their age? Probably not. Adding a couple more mature jokes makes it just as enjoyable for older viewers as for younger ones. There's something for everyone. biggrin

Exactly. Writers know that older siblings or parents are watching these shows with their kids so they throw in jokes for the older audiences that the kids would not grasp. It is to make these shows bearable to the older viewers. Even PBS shows do this.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff