Welcome to Gaia! ::

Timid Phantom

What do you think about it?

I was in line at the store earlier today and was behind two moms who were talking about the bad quality of kids shows these days. I just couldn't help but overhear. The first mom says how she was watching the new Scooby Doo series with her kids and noticed that Daphne's skirt was way too short when she was with some band and that she was dressed like a slut, and she didn't want Daphne shaking her nearly unconcealed a** at her son. Then the other mother chimes in with how she was watching Adventure Time with her 6 and 7 year old kids and didn't like how the vampire's mouth looked after his head got big. Why? Cause his mouth looked like a v****a full of sperm. She seriously said that.

I'm sorry but if your 6 and 7 year old knows what a v****a with sperm in it looks like, you're raising your children very wrong.

But anyway, sexual innuendo's been in kids shows since.....well the Looney Tunes. And honestly, I think it's good to have in the kids cartoons. You can't keep your kids sheltered for life, they're going to find out what those jokes mean eventually, and besides it's meant to go over their heads for the parents that are stuck watching it. When I was 5 I watched The Animaniacs on tv with my mom. I never understood why she laughed at random parts that didn't seem funny until I was older. That's how it is when you're a kid. I didn't understand what a skimpy dress meant nor did I associate anything with a v****a...or any other genital parts.

But now....the floor is yours.
i agree, most of the time kids don't understand, but what boggles my mind is when parents think sexual comments on tv that they also watch are bad but they think cursing in front of them is fine. yes they will learn those words from other people in the world like school and the park, but they shouldnt have to learn it at home.

Timid Phantom

XxChloe9_3LovexX
i agree, most of the time kids don't understand, but what boggles my mind is when parents think sexual comments on tv that they also watch are bad but they think cursing in front of them is fine. yes they will learn those words from other people in the world like school and the park, but they shouldnt have to learn it at home.

So very true. If I was parent I'd prefer they heard cursing in the house so I could explain it to them before they went around saying it to people lol
AroundtheRainbow
XxChloe9_3LovexX

So very true. If I was parent I'd prefer they heard cursing in the house so I could explain it to them before they went around saying it to people lol
I'm going to be a mother in december and personally i'd rather them get their sex education from cartoons and have me explain it to them then them learning it in school. the cursing would be uncontrollable sense my husband doesnt know how to control his mouth.

Timid Phantom

XxChloe9_3LovexX
AroundtheRainbow
XxChloe9_3LovexX

I'm going to be a mother in december and personally i'd rather them get their sex education from cartoons and have me explain it to them then them learning it in school. the cursing would be uncontrollable sense my husband doesnt know how to control his mouth.

Oh congrats! Yeah some things are easier to explain to them than others, especially when the parent explains it over their adult teacher. He sounds just like a man lol

Distinct Shapeshifter

4,700 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Gaian 50
  • Person of Interest 200
I can agree on this as well, as long as the shows don't go too far with the innuendos. With the Scooby-Doo comment that Rainbow made, Daphne was in a goth (Emo? Can't tell the two apart, honestly) rock band, so she had to look the part, right? And all she did was perform a song. Even if the kids didn't understand the lyrics, they would still be dancing and listening to the music anyway instead of looking at her lower regions because "Girls are icky!"

I just think that comments like "Ugh, her skirt is too short for a kids' show." or others like that are just the over-reactions and over-extensions of animated television and reality. Parents get too concerned for their kids because of what a TV character said, so they try their best to lock them in an unenjoyable box until high school (Because that's when you HAVE to get a personality, right?) and then deal with the consequences afterward. I can't speak on any of this wholeheartedly since I'm not a parent, but I get the gist of it from my parents. I honestly have a whole essay on my mind about this single issue right here, but I'll just leave it like this, haha.

And one more thing, and it was probably said already, but if a parent has their 4-7 year old watching the new Scooby-Doo series instead of the older ones, they need to either get informed about the show or stick to Nickelodeon/Disney animations. Cartoon Network has mostly been doing some innuendo-y stuff since Adventure Time, imo.
AroundtheRainbow
XxChloe9_3LovexX
AroundtheRainbow
XxChloe9_3LovexX

Oh congrats! Yeah some things are easier to explain to them than others, especially when the parent explains it over their adult teacher. He sounds just like a man lol
Exactly lol. And thanks biggrin .
DarkHeartedIrizumi
I can agree on this as well, as long as the shows don't go too far with the innuendos. With the Scooby-Doo comment that Rainbow made, Daphne was in a goth (Emo? Can't tell the two apart, honestly) rock band, so she had to look the part, right? And all she did was perform a song. Even if the kids didn't understand the lyrics, they would still be dancing and listening to the music anyway instead of looking at her lower regions because "Girls are icky!"

I just think that comments like "Ugh, her skirt is too short for a kids' show." or others like that are just the over-reactions and over-extensions of animated television and reality. Parents get too concerned for their kids because of what a TV character said, so they try their best to lock them in an unenjoyable box until high school (Because that's when you HAVE to get a personality, right?) and then deal with the consequences afterward. I can't speak on any of this wholeheartedly since I'm not a parent, but I get the gist of it from my parents. I honestly have a whole essay on my mind about this single issue right here, but I'll just leave it like this, haha.

And one more thing, and it was probably said already, but if a parent has their 4-7 year old watching the new Scooby-Doo series instead of the older ones, they need to either get informed about the show or stick to Nickelodeon/Disney animations. Cartoon Network has mostly been doing some innuendo-y stuff since Adventure Time, imo.
If the parents are going to be pissed because Daphne doesn't have enough clothes on, then they should just blind fold their kids because more then half of the world doesnt wear enough clothing. Even middle schoolers.
No other kids cartoon how more deliberate, hardcore sexual inuendo than Rockos Modern Life. My fave cartoon still to this day, but man...no wonder all the new dvds are edited.

Timid Phantom

pockybot
No other kids cartoon how more deliberate, hardcore sexual inuendo than Rockos Modern Life. My fave cartoon still to this day, but man...no wonder all the new dvds are edited.

Haha I haven't watched the episodes recently, but I was like 4 when I watched it, so I can't remember the sexual innuendo, but I do remember when their turtle friend married the doctor with the hook for a hand. And a few other episodes.

I guess Adventure Time can't touch Rocko?

Quotable Conventioneer

11,000 Points
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Megathread 100
I was re-watching Pinky and the Brain, and I came across a really bad one...
"You know what they say about big ears? Big earmuffs!"

Invisible Regular

Actually shows like Adventure Time and such are meant for older kids anyways and if you have an issue with such shows as parents then don't ALLOW your kids to watch them its a very simple concept really. Also just because its animated doesn't mean its for ALL kids. Really we as a society need to stop thinking that cartoons are only for children when they aren't! Its unfair to animators, children, and everyone else.

Edit: Also I think nudity and sex are fine but violence is wrong. You guys in the west have almost always had that backwards. I rather allow my kids to see people making love not trying to kill each other the way Tom and Jerry tries to do.
Cartoon develpers are aware that Parents are watching these shows with their kids. they also know that there are adult fans of cartoons. Now while a cartoon's main audience is kids they tend to throw in references and jokes for the adults watching them too. Even PBS educational shows do this.

Anyway one of my favorites is The Birds of Pray song from Batman the Brave and the bold. The Sexual innuendos in this song are so obvious and so strong that the episode never aired on American TV. I have linked the song plenty of times and can again if you want.
Innuendo is in very many cartoons, regardless of the time period. Like others have said, it is there to entertain the older audiences, like teenagers and parents watching. To be quite frank, I don't think that kids even notice it the majority of the time, much the less understand the meanings behind some innuendos. If they do have a question, I think it would be good for their parent/s to discuss it with them.

Now, I'm not going to talk about parenting, but I do think that those mothers completely overreacted. Besides, everyone learns about sex at one point in their lives, right?

Shadowy Carnivore

I prefer grimdark references or violence to innuendos to be honest. I always thought "sex was gross" and never really grew out of that idea.

I'd rather someone make a reference to disemboweling than to f***ing but that's just a personal opinion of mine.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff