Welcome to Gaia! ::

Dangerous Visionary

wahmbulance I have Netflix instant and I'm in the US so some of things I say may not apply to you wahmbulance

After talking about the lackluster selection of anime on Netflix I do wish to talk a bit about all the Western and other animated titles on Netflix. As some of you may have found Netflix and Disney have a new partnership again Link However, there are some hidden treasures on Netflix like I have watched Chico and Rita which is Cuban animation and really just a complex romance set in the jazz age. I really, really enjoyed it. As well as many french animated titles that seem to come and go. (sorry can't really name them at the moment) As I don't know about the rest of you, but to me that's always bugged me how overly-saturated we are with Japanese animation and nothing else. I remember when Cartoon Network (or maybe Nick) had the O Canada block and we got to see what something different. (I keep hoping Netflix one day adds Bob and Margret to the list) Oh and they finally added the Garfield and Friends as well as many other series from the 80's and 90's which are hit and miss. (Kind of wish they would add more DC titles and bring back Spectacular Spidey)

So let's discussion some of the animation on Netflix things you liked and things you may not have.

Recently added as of March 20th: Season three of MLP:fim and other Hub and Disney XD series. 3nodding

Dangerous Visionary

Well I'm a lot happier with this week new batch of animation that hit Netflix instant . A bunch of DCUA movies were added, as well as many wonderful Christmas specials. (Kind of wish they would have added the official Charlie Brown Christmas but eh)

Also season two of Avengers EMH and the love it or hate Ultimate Spider-man
I began netflix to see more anime than I was getting from [AS]. Sitting here now watching Secret of Kells from Netflix, I do find many from Europe through them. Some like Skyland, or Wakfu, I have to see by other means. Some things on my must see list are simply not on dvd or may not be released in the US. I'm still looking for the later episodes of Braceface. crying

Dangerous Visionary

ImKagetsu
I began netflix to see more anime than I was getting from [AS]. Sitting here now watching Secret of Kells from Netflix, I do find many from Europe through them. Some like Skyland, or Wakfu, I have to see by other means. Some things on my must see list are simply not on dvd or may not be released in the US. I'm still looking for the later episodes of Braceface. crying

I kind of wish they would add Daria, Pepper Anne, and add Monster back. Also Egro Poxy and Wolf Rain cause Hulu peeves me off with all the tampon commercials. emotion_facepalm

Dangerous Visionary

Damn they have the TV version of Avengers:EMH which kind of suck as I love the music INTRO not the voice over. Oh well more reason to pick up the DVD I guess. Also Spidey and more Disney movies have sneak in.

Blessed Bilge rat

I was thrilled when they added Redwall. That was a while ago though.
And the Disney Movies they added are a major plus. Just yesterday I watched The Rescuers Down Under, Pocahontas, The Great Mouse Detective, and The Aristocats.
Other than that (and Avatar the Last Airbender) I don't watch too many cartoons on netflix.

Dangerous Visionary

Lyall Lupin
I was thrilled when they added Redwall. That was a while ago though.
And the Disney Movies they added are a major plus. Just yesterday I watched The Rescuers Down Under, Pocahontas, The Great Mouse Detective, and The Aristocats.
Other than that (and Avatar the Last Airbender) I don't watch too many cartoons on netflix.

Well you should. There's a lot of different animated films and things on there. Even some for adults. One day I might watch Fritz the Cat. (I hear it was rated X back in the day) eek
Thanks to Netflix I finally saw all of the Redwall TV series. I only caught the third season on TV because I heard about it too late. The show really should not have aired on PBS in the USA that is what killed it. It was not an educational kids show, hell even as toned down from the books as it was it almost needed a PG rating for violence. Especially during one season one episode that featured a bit of blood.

Anyway I decided to keep Netflix for January at least, mainly because of the addition of the DC animated movies gives me hope that more cartoons and coming soon. Now I am thinking of watching the Godzillia cartoon based on that crappy American movie. I heard that unlike the movie the TV show is actually very good but I never saw it. I guess giving it a chance won't hurt.

Dangerous Visionary

Creativerealms
Thanks to Netflix I finally saw all of the Redwall TV series. I only caught the third season on TV because I heard about it too late. The show really should not have aired on PBS in the USA that is what killed it. It was not an educational kids show, hell even as toned down from the books as it was it almost needed a PG rating for violence. Especially during one season one episode that featured a bit of blood.

Anyway I decided to keep Netflix for January at least, mainly because of the addition of the DC animated movies gives me hope that more cartoons and coming soon. Now I am thinking of watching the Godzillia cartoon based on that crappy American movie. I heard that unlike the movie the TV show is actually very good but I never saw it. I guess giving it a chance won't hurt.

Yeah there's a bunch of hidden gems on Netflix as far as animation goes. They don't have a lot of the olden cartoons like Hulu seems to do but hey they have the old Superman collection that I was very fond of (I think they may have it back again but I haven't looked for it) Because of all the Star Trek ref in TMNT I might check out the animated version.

Its kind of a bittersweet thing too cause sometimes it really does tempt you to look at the older cartoons like Grafield and Friends and you watch a few eps and you're like emotion_puke Though the worst was Bobby's World for me.

Beloved Vampire

I was ecstatic when I saw The Nightmare Before Christmas on there. Besides that, there were only I think three Tim Burton movies on there. I wish they add Corps Bride soon, and Frankenwenie, when they're allowed to add the newer movies.

Dapper Dabbler

I watched Yobi on there. It's in the anime section, but it's actually Korean. It's an odd movie. I don't know how to describe it without spoilers. It's definitely a family movie, but the story does something family movies normally don't. It's circular instead of linear. That's the only way I can phrase it without spoiling.
The movie ends without resolving any plot points. This isn't played as being bad. It's played as natural. We never know if the aliens get home or if Yobi ever gets the boy -- who must be a man by now -- she loves. Before the movie ends, the yoyos are re-building their UFO and Yobi trades her soul for Geum-ie's soul. She dies and becomes reincarnated as a human. She has to take the long way back to the mortal realm, so Geum-ie has to be an adult by now, while she's younger than him now. It's a twist from the beginning, where she's 510 years old, while he's the kid. The open ended leaves much to interpretation, but I like to believe the yoyos succeeded and that Yobi reunites with Gumiho in some sugar daddy relationship in the best way possible.

Dangerous Visionary

Levana_Rose
I was ecstatic when I saw The Nightmare Before Christmas on there. Besides that, there were only I think three Tim Burton movies on there. I wish they add Corps Bride soon, and Frankenwenie, when they're allowed to add the newer movies.

Give it time. They probably will add more Tim Burton movies. 3nodding

Dangerous Visionary

Tenkohime
I watched Yobi on there. It's in the anime section, but it's actually Korean. It's an odd movie. I don't know how to describe it without spoilers. It's definitely a family movie, but the story does something family movies normally don't. It's circular instead of linear. That's the only way I can phrase it without spoiling

I think Netflix is using anime as a catch all term for anything Non-western animation. (Just like video stores used to do) 3nodding Thanks for the recommend I have been meaning to watch Yobi as well as The House. Was about to watch The Story of Mr. Sorry but then I had to leave for school. emo

I hope the add second three of Archer, Dan Vs, and more DC animated titles. Also since the Hub has Animanicas maybe one day that might be added?
Netflix has recent made a deal with Cartoon Network for some of their more recent cartoons, from what I understand they will be up in March. Maybe some older ones will eventually show up as well.

I watched a couple episodes of the Dilbert cartoon on and I was surprised, it's pretty funny. Dilbert as a comic strip is rarely funny and usually really dull so the cartoon was a pleasant surprise.

Dangerous Visionary

Creativerealms
Netflix has recent made a deal with Cartoon Network for some of their more recent cartoons, from what I understand they will be up in March. Maybe some older ones will eventually show up as well.

I watched a couple episodes of the Dilbert cartoon on and I was surprised, it's pretty funny. Dilbert as a comic strip is rarely funny and usually really dull so the cartoon was a pleasant surprise.

Awesome! Would be totally rad to finally see Adventure time, regular show, and Looney Tunes on there and since they already seem to have a deal with wb then some of the DC nation stuff can appear as well. 3nodding

yeah I tried watching Dilbert a while ago and didn't really care for it. I rather code monkeys. 3nodding

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get Items
Get Gaia Cash
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games