Welcome to Gaia! ::

Magical Trickster

19,950 Points
  • The Wolf Within 100
  • Team Jacob 100
  • Survivor 150

+.♦.+ Tea for Two +.♦.+

Now don't get me wrong, I actually like this new idea for a cartoon show, It's quite a different taste from all the other forms that we tend to see from all the other superheros. In fact I have no negativity about it whats so ever.

However, When I showed this to a friend of mine, She pointed out to me as to why they would actually CANCEL Sailormoon because of the Sailor Stars fiasco which was once premiered from Toonami but they would actually air a Shezow cartoon for ages 6-11 let alone in the Hub.

But you know, I'm actually happy that it has now become a new breakthrough for this show, even if it is a comedy, I actually think it's a new breathe of fresh air and who knows, they might bring back of the old cartoons that have been cancelled or censor because of this breaking event.

Here is the intro of the Show:

-~--~-
I personally love the show...i have seen about 11 episodes and yeah the jokes are campy and the she puns get old fast but i think the hub has balls to show this show..and especially with every one up in arms about it.."Ohh its a transvestite super hero"..."oh the children...we have to protect them from this kind of thing" Please...i didnt seen every one up in arms about bugs bunny crossdressing and kissing men ...so why now?
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.
I suppose it has to do with the fact that back then people weren't so open about these subjects as they are now. This is quite an old topic for the people who have been around anime series like Ranma 1/2 or Sailor Moon, but this definitely breaks a new barrier in western animation.
I watched the first two episodes quite a while ago, and I didn't really mind the show. It was cute in certain parts and it also made me giggle, but that's it. It's an ok show but got tired of the puns quite fast. User Image
[Shewolf]

+.♦.+ Tea for Two +.♦.+

However, When I showed this to a friend of mine, She pointed out to me as to why they would actually CANCEL Sailormoon because of the Sailor Stars fiasco which was once premiered from Toonami but they would actually air a Shezow cartoon for ages 6-11 let alone in the Hub.

-~--~-

I would tell her how it's a sign that times have changed, that what was not okay for american TV thirteen years ago is okay now.
gaia_nitemareleft I don't care that it's a trans-whatever character. I care that it just looks like a really sour, Western rip of Ranma 1/2 in a way.

Cosmogonal Cultist

33,915 Points
  • Winged 100
  • Team Rina 200
  • Beta Gaian 0
The times they are a changin'. The fact of the matter is that you can simply "get away" with more stuff now than you could back when Sailor Moon was airing. Of course, Shezow could still end up being cancelled, if the Hub chooses to cave into pressure from groups like One Million Moms... so I guess we'll just have to see how things go.

Although choosing to air this show IS a ballsy move, I feel like there's a lot of misinformation about it... words with the "trans" prefix keep getting thrown around, like "transgender" and "transexual," but I don't think Guy (AKA Shezow) is either of those things. I don't even think he'd qualify as a transvestite.

Guy doesn't physically become a female, so he's not transsexual. He doesn't identify as a female (as he puts it, "I'm a dude!" ), so he's not transgender. As far as him being a transvestite, that's debatable. As I understand it, a transvestite has a strong desire to dress as the opposite sex/gender, or gains pleasure from doing so. However, Guy's initial attitude towards wearing the Shezow getup is embarrassment and reluctance, which gradually gives way to acceptance. He doesn't WANT to dress up like a lady-- he WANTS to be a superhero, and dressing up as a lady happens to be the only way for him to do so.

That said, I still consider the show to be pretty progressive, in that it points out and shatters various outdated gender conventions. The Shezow character is basically a satire of what marketers would come up with if they put their heads together to create a superhero for young girls. "Let's make her wear pink!" "Yeah, and all her crime-fighting gadgets will be cosmetics!" "Yeah, and she'll be all about 'girl power'!"

But it really starts to sink in how silly all that is when its mistakenly applied to a boy, instead.

Even if he's not trans himself, I can see how Guy could be a relateable character to the trans community. There's a scene in one episode in which he's having a nightmare about playing in a football game, when he suddenly realizes he's wearing the Shezow outfit under his jersey. One of his teammates asks him, disbelievingly, if he's wearing a dress. His reaction-- a defiant "Yes, I am. You got a problem with that?" pretty much speaks for itself.

Cerise Hood

gaia_nitemareleft I don't care that it's a trans-whatever character. I care that it just looks like a really sour, Western rip of Ranma 1/2 in a way.

I disagree. Seems to me there's more differences than similarities. Shezow's a superhero, Ranma's a martial artist. Guy changes clothes but not sex, Ranma changes sex but not clothes. Guy's transformation is required for him to use his abilities, while Ranma's abilities stay the same regardless of which form he's in. Guy usually transforms on purpose, while Ranma usually transforms by accident.

They both gained their power/curse by accident, but honestly... I don't think they have all that much in common.

Dapper Capitalist

I... I need to watch this show.

Damn, it's a real shame that I don't get Hub._.

Magical Trickster

19,950 Points
  • The Wolf Within 100
  • Team Jacob 100
  • Survivor 150
CreativeButLazy

+.♦.+ Diamond Dust +.♦.+

You haven't really miss out that much. 3nodding I think episode 2 just came out today in the hub. xD But you can watch the entire season on the internet. I just don't know which are the link for them. <_>

-~--~-

Dapper Capitalist

[Shewolf]
CreativeButLazy

+.♦.+ Diamond Dust +.♦.+

You haven't really miss out that much. 3nodding I think episode 2 just came out today in the hub. xD But you can watch the entire season on the internet. I just don't know which are the link for them. <_>

-~--~-

I can probably find if I look for it.
It's just that the Hub has some other shows I've been interested in too such as My Little Pony (thank you netflix) and Dan vs. (still need to find that as well)

Dangerous Visionary

Sailor Moon wasn't cancel because of the Starlights. Toei froze the rights to Sailor Moon for years which is why its been in limbo since 2003 no matter how many companies have begged for the rights. Personally, really sick of that misconception about Stars seeing as its been "jossed" so hard over the years but whatever.

I too also like Shezow and its pretty much the only cartoon I look forward to on the weekend. It's not the BEST animated series ever but yeah its what we need in this day and age.

Gaian

I...don't really care for it. I think it's good in that it does challenge stereotypes and archetypes in super heroines, as well as daring to go against the grain by putting a male character in a female costume and having him fight crime or whatever he does, though.

That being said, I don't really care for it. It's not my thing, but I do love Samuel Vincent as a voice actor.

Destructive Mage

15,275 Points
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Treasure Hunter 100
I wanna watch it but it's never on.

THIS SHOW IS NOT HARMFUL TO KIDS!
MULAN DID IT AND ARIEL WAS IN A BRA FOR THE MAJORITY OF THE MOVIE!
THE RRB WERE RAISED BY TWO DADS!
WHY SHOULD THIS HARMFUL?

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas