Welcome to Gaia! ::

Okay. If the the movie "Epic" Taught me anything, is, "You don't know if you'll like it unless you try it" And I thought It would be the same with Frozen......*groan*

Okay let's just get into it.

As the film opens up, we have two little girls, who happen to be Princesses, with a very close relationship. The elder sister has the special power of creating and controlling Ice, of which they use to play game, build snowmen, etc.

During one of their play dates, the younger sister, Ana, takes a headshot with and Ice blast, turning a lock of her hair permanently white. Elena, the older sister, and their parents, take Ana to a tribe of Trolls to heal her. They erase all of Ana's Memories of her sister's powers, and keep them a secret.

Elena must now spend the rest of her Childhood away from her sister, keeping her Powers secret from everyone.

Later, when they are teenagers, their Parents leave on a ship for a few weeks (I assume to trade with another kingdom, but it's never really explained). However, a storm hits and the King and Queen are killed off. (It's a Disney film, go figure)

This opening, I actually really liked, it set things up nicely, and I liked the relationship between Elena and Ana, It was very believable. And When they are forced to be separated, Ana has no Idea why. I think all of us have been there I one point in our life. Be it on the Internet, or real life. We all have family and/or friends that you are very close, but then, out of the blue, with no Idea why, they start avoiding you, and no longer want anything to do with you. And I loved this Opening for exploring that.

Disney has done Sister Relationships before, but not when they were so close to the same age (as far as I remember) And I liked the relationship they built for us.

Finally, Elena becomes of age, and is about to Coordinated into becoming Queen. All with the fear of letting her Ice Powers getting out of hand.
After that brilliant opening, the rest of 1st act......falls kind of flat. They almost hooked me with that opening, but they lost me as soon as Ana meets the Prince. And at this point I realized the movie's biggest Problem. The songs. They're just not that interesting to me. Other then one, I did not like any of the songs. It was during this 1st act, can't remember when, one of the songs I think, I got up out of my chair, and played a short game out in the Lobby before returning. When I came back, Elena's Powers started flash freezing everything.

At this point, The movie started picking up for me. I started enjoying it again. Elena flees to the top of a frozen mountain, and enters a song and dance Number that I actually enjoyed. The melody, the singing, the great visuals, went beautifully together.

This would be good time to mention another thing I like. The Visuals. The things they do with Elena's Ice, was incredible. And it pushed her into favorite Character of the movie for me. She rivals Iceman. (Screwattack Death Battle GO!!!)

Meanwhile, Ana treks up the mountain to try and talk to her sister. Enter Chisdoff An Ice Block sells men with a Reindeer for a best friend. (our Male lead being a little late to the party huh) And after a humorous encounter with a Canadian Lodge owner, set out together up the mountain. Along the way, they encounter a talking snowman named Olaf.

This Character was the major draw for kids. He was in all the trailers, and to be honest, the comic releave that this movie needed. He's alright, and I found the jokes surrounding him pretty funny. Of course, he get's a song number, that, once again is grown worthy, but I found the idea of an ignorant Snowman, who doesn't know how heat will affect him, funny.

Eventually they trio reach to Ice Palace, and this is when the 3rd and best act begins. After an encounter with Elena, puts Ana's life in danger, Chrisdoff takes her to the same Trolls from the opening in an effort to heal her. This leads into another RANDOM a** song number with the Trolls singing about Love. I would have found it better if they skipped the song number, introduced the Trolls, and got to the "life in danger" Stuff.

I'm going to stop right there, to avoid spoilers. (don't worry I finished the movie, and to be fare, I enjoyed the rest of the 3rd act) So I'll just give A quick final rundown

BAD
1. 1st act focused too much on Ana and her naive relationship with the Prince.
2. Too many songs, with most of them being annoying and too random. (every time a new song started I face palmed)

GOOD
1. Good Characters, with Elena being my favorite.
2. Original and well done story. Exploring a Sister-Sister relationship was believable and well done.
3. The Visual effects on the Ice, and the Cold environment they built was fantastic to look at.

So...3 out of 5

It was an Okay film. Not the best. But not terrible either. You just have to sit through about half an hour of sucky exposition to get to the good stuff. And keep those Trolls the Hell away from me.
Would I see it again? Probably not. The only reason I would return to it, is to see the parts I skipped over for various reasons.

Anyway, that's my opinion of Frozen. Maybe you liked it more then I did, maybe you didn't. If you did, I understand why. But it's just not for me.

Have a nice day.

10,700 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Signature Look 250
  • Tycoon 200
Were there really so many songs? I would like to watch it but the disney song policy is just not really for me...
Amazing movie.
I loved the characters and the songs.Also the animation was epic
One of my favorite Disney movies
deboritaaa
Were there really so many songs? I would like to watch it but the disney song policy is just not really for me...

Seemed almost like they couldn't go 15 minutes without breaking into song.

10,700 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Signature Look 250
  • Tycoon 200
Vincent Kintobor

Seemed almost like they couldn't go 15 minutes without breaking into song.

Oh boy... well I'll try to watch it :p
The first half of the movie is filled with songs, the second half not so much. Yeah some of the songs are random and pointless (Hans and Anna's song comes to mind) that said it also includes Let it go, which ranks up there as one of my all time favorite Disney songs.

The constant music hurts the movie a litle but I feel the good far exceeds the bad.
Creativerealms
The first half of the movie is filled with songs, the second half not so much. Yeah some of the songs are random and pointless (Hans and Anna's song comes to mind) that said it also includes Let it go, which ranks up there as one of my all time favorite Disney songs.

The constant music hurts the movie a litle but I feel the good far exceeds the bad.

I agree, and Let it Go was the one song I liked.

Eloquent Humorist

11,675 Points
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Tycoon 200
I thought "Do you wanna build a snowman" was a good song.

But overall, yeah, not as good a movie as it could have been. I was quite frankly pissed that they used an original story, despite advertising it as "Based on The Snow Queen." This move had less in common with it's source material than I, Robot did. Hell, in comparison, it made The Little Mermaid look like more of a faithful adaptation than the anime version.

The ending, quite frankly, was awful. I realize they were going for something clever and subversive with the resolution, but the set-up was absurdly contrived, and it didn't help hearing Olaf explain something to me that I could already tell just from watching the movie.

Olaf: You sacrificed yourself to save your sister! That's an act of true love!

Me: Thanks, a*****e. I'm too stupid to figure that out.

Blessed Seeker

13,475 Points
  • Big Tipper 100
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Popular Thread 100
The opening song would be good if the movie had more culture.

Bashful Bunny

The movie was indeed very rushed, as people found out more about it the animators had begun to feel rushed to finish because of the hype the movie was already getting. Because of this the movie turned into an animated musical as I feel to call it. The characters had so much that could have been explained like what about Kristoph's parents, where were they and why was he taken in by trolls? Also, I think the movie really had a bit too much time with Anna, The movie was meant to be about Elsa was it not? I kind of have mixed signals about it now, I love the movie all in all but there are many things that should have had a better back story on or need more information. The songs are great but knowing they actually had to cut 7 more out of the original movie worries me a bit. I love musicals but not when the songs are too close together.
The Fullmetal Narcissist

But overall, yeah, not as good a movie as it could have been. I was quite frankly pissed that they used an original story, despite advertising it as "Based on The Snow Queen." This move had less in common with it's source material than I, Robot did. Hell, in comparison, it made The Little Mermaid look like more of a faithful adaptation than the anime version.

The ending, quite frankly, was awful. I realize they were going for something clever and subversive with the resolution, but the set-up was absurdly contrived, and it didn't help hearing Olaf explain something to me that I could already tell just from watching the movie.

Disney has tried for decades to make a theatrical version of The Snow Queen. It was one of the movies that was in development after Snow White, but never could get past the story phase. The original story just didn't work as a 90min movie.

I think Olaf's line was meant for the younger viewers. These movies are also meant for children after all.
RamuRamperRoo
The movie was indeed very rushed, as people found out more about it the animators had begun to feel rushed to finish because of the hype the movie was already getting. Because of this the movie turned into an animated musical as I feel to call it. The characters had so much that could have been explained like what about Kristoph's parents, where were they and why was he taken in by trolls? Also, I think the movie really had a bit too much time with Anna, The movie was meant to be about Elsa was it not? I kind of have mixed signals about it now, I love the movie all in all but there are many things that should have had a better back story on or need more information. The songs are great but knowing they actually had to cut 7 more out of the original movie worries me a bit. I love musicals but not when the songs are too close together.

The production of Frozen wasn't rushed. At least not when compared to most other Disney animated features. Do you mean that the story felt rushed?

Eloquent Humorist

11,675 Points
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Tycoon 200
TuckyX
The Fullmetal Narcissist

Disney has tried for decades to make a theatrical version of The Snow Queen. It was one of the movies that was in development after Snow White, but never could get past the story phase. The original story just didn't work as a 90min movie.

I think Olaf's line was meant for the younger viewers. These movies are also meant for children after all.

We didn't need any kind of explanatory dialogue like that in Tangled.

Talking chameleon: "Your tear still contained some of the powers of the magic flower, and now Flynn's alive again!"

Nope, none of that bull s**t was needed, in a movie that respected it's audience.
The Fullmetal Narcissist
TuckyX
The Fullmetal Narcissist

We didn't need any kind of explanatory dialogue like that in Tangled.

Talking chameleon: "Your tear still contained some of the powers of the magic flower, and now Flynn's alive again!"

Nope, none of that bull s**t was needed, in a movie that respected it's audience.

Again, the line was meant for children. Plus, it was part of Olaf's character to state the obvious.
I had the most trouble with multiple consistency issues that popped up in the movie.

1. Okay, we're gonna wipe out Ana's memories, and then we're never going to speak of this EVER AGAIN. Nothing from origin to ethics.

2. Elsa is sooooooo scared of her powers, but once she escapes LET'S JUST GO ALL OUT CRAZY WITH THIS! What drove her into that exactly?

3. Aww little Hans and Sven, I'm gonna kidnap keep you! Not to mention how they were "orphans" at the start was ill addressed.

That's all I can come up with for now...

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff