Welcome to Gaia! ::

Okay, apparently we cannot reply to old threads or something, so here is my Jem appreciation thread! Being an 80's girl, I remember watching this in elementary school, like, during class even it was so popular. This show should've stayed on air longer than what the HUB had it on for, because it's totally awesome! I mean, these days you don't see cartoons aimed toward kids where one of the high school characters buy and get addicted to drugs, or runaways. Plus, the fashion and music were totally awesome too! Let's keep this discussion going people hehe.
Cartoons have pretty much gotten away form the very special episode thing and frankly that is both a good and a bad thing. On one hand it means we don't have to put up with heavy handed preachy anti drug messages on the other we miss out on such marvelous WTF moments like the Muppet babies talking about Smack or the times the Tiny Toons cast got drunk on a beer and drove a car off a cliff and died.

Jem is one of those shows that is just totally 80's and imagining it in any other era is just impossible. I do wish the reruns had lasted a bit longer I was hoping to see the entire series again but my access to the Hub has been extremely spotty.
I heard they were going to remake the show into another series or a movie or something. If that is true, hopefully they will try to stay as true to the original as possible as far as content is concerned.

As for the "preachy" aspect of the show, I think it was a good thing. I mean, they even included numbers for abuse hotlines and stuff at the end of the episodes for the kids who had needed help. Too bad none of the cartoons today has that kind of intelligence that also brings in a form of entertainment.

On another note, there is a video on Youtube that is called "Jem Reunion 2012". You should totally check it out because it is hilarious!
s_eternity
I heard they were going to remake the show into another series or a movie or something. If that is true, hopefully they will try to stay as true to the original as possible as far as content is concerned.

As for the "preachy" aspect of the show, I think it was a good thing. I mean, they even included numbers for abuse hotlines and stuff at the end of the episodes for the kids who had needed help. Too bad none of the cartoons today has that kind of intelligence that also brings in a form of entertainment.

On another note, there is a video on Youtube that is called "Jem Reunion 2012". You should totally check it out because it is hilarious!

Other than rumors there are no concrete plans to revive Jem. Given the recent failure of Thundercats and the less than stellar reception of the new Carebears I can't see Jem coming back any time soon unless they decide to revive the toy line.

Preachy doens't necessarily mean bad but some of those specials did end up going into odd directions. Like the anti drug episodes that out right lied and manipulated facts. I'm all for shows tackling very serious issues but some of the time they really bungled things.

I'm not big on fan created toons especially the ones based on 80's toons so I'll pass on that one.

Shadowy Carnivore

That show is so 80s.
I love it.

Manly Pitcher

20,225 Points
  • PAAANNNTTTSSS 100
  • Nudist Colony 200
  • Gender Swap 100
hey did you see--they just made 4 new jem dolls---but they are all over $100 each ;n;

your avatar reminds me of jem a bit too ^^

10,250 Points
  • Nerd 50
  • Alchemy Level 2 100
  • Friendly 100
I loved Jem when I was younger. Did you have the sticker book too? I was watching it when they were showing it on the HUB. I was sort of embarrassed that I remembered a lot of the songs. Now I watch it on Netflix.

Shirtless Phantom

i love jem, saw it recently with my best friend actually. it was my friend's first time watching it.

Bashful Detective

9,400 Points
  • Entrepreneur 150
  • Consumer 100
  • Wall Street 200
Man I love Jem soooo much!

I almost wish they do a remake...but if they did it would NEVER be better than the original.
I SO VERY----- I
hey did you see--they just made 4 new jem dolls---but they are all over $100 each ;n;

Yes, that was the idea as far as my avatar. I wanna find similar styles for the rest of the characters on Gaia. I doubt they will be exact, but I wanna get as close as possible. My favorite is Stormer (the Misfit with the blue hair). I have all the Misfit dolls, including Clash and Jetta. I have Rio too.
__Lost-n-expulsion__
I loved Jem when I was younger. Did you have the sticker book too? I was watching it when they were showing it on the HUB. I was sort of embarrassed that I remembered a lot of the songs. Now I watch it on Netflix.

I have a lot of the songs as MP3's. They are extended versions, so many run from 2-4 minutes! They're on my MP3 player and I love them!

Manly Pitcher

20,225 Points
  • PAAANNNTTTSSS 100
  • Nudist Colony 200
  • Gender Swap 100
s_eternity
I SO VERY----- I

Yes, that was the idea as far as my avatar. I wanna find similar styles for the rest of the characters on Gaia. I doubt they will be exact, but I wanna get as close as possible. My favorite is Stormer (the Misfit with the blue hair). I have all the Misfit dolls, including Clash and Jetta. I have Rio too.
stormer is cool--darn i wish i had the dolls-- i missed that whole generation x.x i was hoping they'd remake cheap ones so i could get some..but the new ones are crazy
I SO VERY----- I
s_eternity
I SO VERY----- I

stormer is cool--darn i wish i had the dolls-- i missed that whole generation x.x i was hoping they'd remake cheap ones so i could get some..but the new ones are crazy

I got mine pretty cheaply on Ebay, like $20-$35 each I think? I also got the Jem DVD box set, so I have the whole series.

Manly Pitcher

20,225 Points
  • PAAANNNTTTSSS 100
  • Nudist Colony 200
  • Gender Swap 100
s_eternity
I SO VERY----- I
s_eternity
I SO VERY----- I

I got mine pretty cheaply on Ebay, like $20-$35 each I think? I also got the Jem DVD box set, so I have the whole series.
you got them that cheap on ebay?! im amazed..i thought the old ones were really rare and expensive! --yeah i happily have the box set too ^^
Love Jem used to watch it as a kid and play with my Jem dolls...which I still have smile

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff