Welcome to Gaia! ::

Headstrong Senshi

20,150 Points
  • Magical Girl 50
  • Power Surge 50
  • Team Player 50
It was quite the twist but then again I don't think it should be thrown into kids faces just for shock value. The movie wasn't bad because the movie didn't have the character as being totally out there from the beginning.
I think shounen-ai is adorable and I don't mind yaoi sometimes but I don't like really graphic scenes. But that goes for both gay and straight couples.

Gracious Genius

4,500 Points
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Partygoer 500
I don't have any problems with a series/movie containing characters who are gay.

In my opinion it should be open as long as it doesn't contain anything too graphic for children.

I mean, children see it in real life, so why not in films and TV series. There are even children (and teens for that matter) who really believe themselves to be the opposite sex and it would be nice for them to see that they are not the only ones out there with the same belief; that there are people out there thinking of them and what they believe isn't wrong.

Conservative Shapeshifter

9,325 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Member 100
  • Gaian 50
I really don't think it matters as long the movie/tv series is good that is just sexuality it really doesn't matter.

Handsome Ace

21,200 Points
  • Survivor 150
  • Brandisher 100
  • Kuro Gang 250
I'm all for it. Our society is gradually leaning towards gay acceptance anyway, and no matter how hard some parents may try to shield their children from these ebbbulllsss... it's a fact of life. They have to deal with it.

Liberal Loiterer

10,550 Points
  • Protector of Cuteness 150
  • Tooth Fairy 100
  • Team Edward 100
They totally need more LGBT characters. Although, they kind of do, but it's really open to interpretation.
I swear Disney needs to make a princess who's betrothed to a man but she's actually in love with a woman. That would be awesome. And if nobody writes the script to it, I'll write it myself.

Lonely Member

Kimi Doodles
â—˜ â—˜ â—˜

They way they did it in ParaNorman was wonderful, because they reveal his sexuality at the end of the movie after you've sat there assuming he was into ladies. Being gay didn't define him. And that's how it should be; it should be natural and not be enforced as one of his "personality traits". They proved to kids that it was really no big deal for him to have a boyfriend, in comparison to him having a girlfriend. When it's presented naturally and comfortably like that it's easy for kids to be accepting of it.

â—˜ â—˜ â—˜

Exactly! I loved how he said it so naturally. It was like "Hey, kids, this strong masculine guy has a boyfriend and everyone is cool with it. It's natural." Also I liked the message of you shouldn't just assume you know someone's sexual orientation based on their personality and actions.

I think more movies should include LGBT characters in this manner. biggrin

Timid Explorer

6,300 Points
  • Popular Thread 100
  • Millionaire 200
  • Friendly 100
I think that it's a great thing to have gay characters in animations, because children need to know or at least be aware that not everyone is the same.
I was weirded out by the whole thing about Paranorman. I mean, it was a funny line in context and made a lot of sense for the character, but did it really make so much of an impact on people? After everyone was freaking out about it, all I could think was "haven't there been tons of other openly gay characters in animation?"

I suppose there haven't really though. Still, I feel like the suggestion of them being gay as opposed to outright saying it isn't really all that huge of a line to cross. Do most strait characters run around exclaiming their sexuality? Not really. I dunno, it just didn't strike me as a big deal.

Greedy Gekko

I am okay with it, but the parents? I don't know. They tend to be conservative and I am sure most of them will be against this.

Anyway, the only gay character I know on a kids show is that red-skinned/lobster-looking villain from PPG.

Dangerous Visionary

Would be nice to have some but it can't be just for shock value or tokenism.
I'ts wonderfull ! I hope we see more !

Paranorman was the first openly but in some other animated movie I saw some character that could have been (but not openly).
For example, in the lorax there hare those 2 guys holding hands and sharing a sundae together.

Shy Lunatic

7,500 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Nudist Colony 200
I don't have a problem if that were to happen. I did see the movie Paranorman and I loved it. I found it funny that the sister was all over the guy and it turns out that he was gay.

Destructive Mage

15,275 Points
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Treasure Hunter 100
I really don't care if they're gay.
Sometimes it just defines them and that is only how I can remember them.

HIM, man, HIM. He was seriously flaming and I didn't give a crap. The RRB had TWO dads. I didn't care that they didn't have a mother because they, sorta, explained why.
As long as it isn't,

"HEY! THIS CHARACTER IS GAY! HE'S GAY! LOOK! HE'S GAY! HE'S ACTING LIKE THIS BECAUSE HE'S GAY! IT'S FUNNY BECAUSE HE'S GAY! GAAAAAAAAAY! DID I MENTION HE'S GAY?!"

then I'm cool with it.

A character's sexuality should not be the sole defining feature of the character, and a homosexual character shouldn't be added just to have the token homosexual character there. If a homosexual character is in a piece, it should be because that's how the creator simply imagined him or her to be, just like how some characters are simply black, white, male, female, tall, small, and so on. It's just how the character is, but it isn't their only defining feature.

That's why it annoys me when people ask or demand writers, cartoonists, game creators, and so on to add a homosexual character to their work. The only reason that character would exist is to be the token gay character and unless that character was the stereotype of a homosexual person, no one would know that character was homosexual. That would be insulting.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff