Welcome to Gaia! ::

Perfect Genius

10,000 Points
  • Pie For All! 300
  • Millionaire 200
  • Perfect Attendance 400
I know that many people are unhappy with the way Cartoon Network is right now, myself included, but I want to take a moment and look at this sentiment critically.

First, I would like to point out that CN has had crappy shows before, some of them fairly successful, Cow and Chicken for example. Considering this, please share your views of the lineup from the past few years.

Next, I want to know what your opinion on the inclusion of live action shows on the network is.
Personally, I find them out of place on a CARTOON network.

What do you want to see more/less of and why?
I want more shows with a real plot and fewer shows that try to be funny being random. I like sudden twists but that twist should be going somewhere. Not that I'm saying randomness is bad, but moderation, ya know?

What are your current favorites on CN and why do they appeal to you?
My current fave is a toss up between Ben 10, Young Justice and Looney Tunes. The former two having serious plots and the latter being a somewhat more sophisticated comedy. I admit that when the new Looney Tunes came out I was skeptical they could pull it off without just using old material with new animation, or that it would be very simple humor. But I feel they did it justice.

What are your opinions of the CGI animation that is becoming more used.
For me, unless the animations are blockbuster quality it loses more than it gains. Backgrounds often look unfinished and movements are sometimes awkward. The shading/colors also makes it hard for me to make out what is even going on in a scene sometimes. (Then again, I am watching on a 25 inch standard def TV so that might have something to do with it too)

Lastly, what is your all time favorite cartoon from CN and again why?
I have two. first is Codename: Kids Next Door, the other is Samurai Jack. KND had a perfect (IMHO) blend of wonder, excitement, and comedy. That and, come on, a secret organization of kids, how cool is that?! Samurai Jack I appreciated partially because of the action but also the unique art style, and focus on showing instead of telling.

--edit-- I would like to pose two new questions for this topic

1. IMPORTANT How long have you watched Cartoon Network? This is important because if you have only been watching for say 2 years you really don't have a good sample range
My answer: About 11 years for me.
2. Why do you like/dislike Adventure Time, Regular Show, and/or The Amazing World of Gumball. Basically, if a show is your favorite, I don't really care unless you give a reason. Sorry to be so blunt.
My answer: From the five or six episodes I've watched of Regular Show it seems a lot like a toned down, kids version of Family Guy. I don't like Family Guy's style of humor. As for Gumball, I really want to like this show, but the photo-backgrounds annoy me for some reason, and make it hard for me to get into the show. Also censors are unnecessary on cartoon animals, But that's Minor
What do I want to see less of? Live-action.
Not because it's Cartoon Network, but CN just doesn't ******** do live-action well, imo.
At all. The only things I've liked were shows that didn't really belong on CN given their audience (Unnatural History and Tower Prep)
Incredible Crew hurts my brain so much every time I even see a commercial for it.
&less, dumb s**t. Annoying Orange. Why World. Why!?!? I was never fond of MAD either.

Favorites: YOUNG JUSTICE. This is the only thing I am following on CN atm and I pretty much lack all reason to follow CN at all after this. It's a wonderful DC show. :c
I like Adventure Time & Regular Show, but it's not enough to have to tune in for the newest episode.
& the How to Train Your Dragon isn't bad either, but I haven't actually seen it air at all recently. o___O;

I don't watch enough TV to have a good opinion of CGI vs non-CGI.

I can't really name an all-time favorite, tbh.

Dangerous Visionary

TV Networks in general have gone down hill because its really the end for them. Who the hell really watches TV these days especially live? I either DVR or catch it ad free elsewhere. Nearly every single show you can stream over youtube, hulu, Netflix,torrent, or whatever else. Then all the price of Cable or Satellite services gets totally crazy. So all in all it just a losing battle for everyone really.

But to answer your question of course CN has gone hill like Nick they play the same four-six shows 24 hours a day. Just doing a two week search our Dish service and I got these results:

Adventure Time: 94
Regular Show: 52
Gumball: 44
Looney Tune show: 20
Johnny Test: 41
Scooby Doo MI: 5 gonk
Tom and Jerry tales: well that was over 100 but stupid Dish added the ones from Boomerang as well. (Same with Pokemon and all the Ben 10 series) emotion_facepalm

(I would've search for Mad, Dragons, and those Lego ones but eh)

That's just a lot of fluff and filler then again there's that really telling image:
Cartoon Network then and now

So yeah lack of actual cartoons and content.

Omnipresent Pawn

Live-Action Thoughts
CN's had some before, I thought. But even then, they were treated more like "specials" (like movies); didn't take over the timeslots with reruns. I could probably handle them more if they weren't simply trying to mimick other stations despite the whole "Cartoon"-half of their channel's title. But they're always on whenever I'm home, so I normally steer clear from the channel.

Want to see less of
I want to see less "lol let's just copy those guys" types of shows. In order to set yourself apart from the competition, doesn't it make sense to do what they're NOT doing? I don't need another VH1 incident in my life, thank you.
(Unfortunately, thanks to CN not giving a crap about its viewers that actively do their best despite the unfair timeslot(s), I won't bother with DCNation once its current line-up is over. I might watch at least one of the replacement shows online, but I won't bother unless it's up-to-par or CN at least airs reruns of the current lineup)

Want to see more of
I want more quality shows not be tossed aside, no matter the reason. There are plenty of timeslots that are good times being used for reruns. Really? Like every kid's gonna wake up 10AM exact on a Saturday, or be allowed to watch television every time.
Shows in the current DCNation slot could potentially give "The Legend of Korra" a run for its money. But they're aired at such a dumb time, once a week. I'unno about your kids, CN execs, but most don't watch television like they did a decade ago - gotta get them hooked on something by using an awesome time, and then, after not ruining it by placing it through an unneeded hiatus or two, you let them get hooked, and then maybe switch the hour or day by some.

Current Faves
I very much enjoy the current DCNation block and "Adventure Time". The other animated series are interesting and I'll watch them if they're on and I'm watching television, but they don't make me crave more. I tried giving other shows a chance if I managed to catch them on air, one of the live-action type shows, but it just... seriously didn't appeal to me. I think I also saw an episode of that one movie where the kid sees cartoon mascots, but grew dull when I tried another episode.

CGI Thoughts
(First, watch them online if your television sucks that much, geez. You're probably missing-out on a lot that suit your fancy haha)
I don't mind it. HOWEVER, apparently one of the greatest "why would I want to watch that?" reaction to one of my favourite shows is because it was forced upon them by CN. If the production team didn't want to use it, then they shouldn't have been forced - it lost a lot of potential viewers. Luckily, the animation improves greatly in aesthetics; and some of the animation of the most mundane body-language often forgotten in even live-action is included (so if you get used to the style, it gets very good).
The animation for the "Star Wars" series is pretty boring, but it's not bad. I just can't ever get into the franchise, though, so I can't say much more than that. The "HTTYD" series is of course toned-down from the movie, but one's made for many episodes at a time while the other's a film that took at least a year dedicated on part of its animation haha, but its simpler details are really all I saw wrong with its animation.

In the end, once people stop judging so harsh against CGI for being CGI, the better. It took forever to watch one of the series I now consider one of my top favourites because it looked so boring. Its first few episodes were rough, and had I not gotten attached to the writing and characters, I'd probably never had noticed it gets so much better.

All-Time Faves
I really enjoyed Toonami as a kid, and "Sailor Moon" is one I'm still fairly into (yay remake 2013!), I also have nostalgic feels for "DB/Z" and "Tenchi Muyo" and some "Gundam" series.
As a kid, I watched a whole bunch of stuff I've forgotten about or don't feel the same for anymore, so there's a lot I can't list. But I did truly adore "Foster's" and "KND". (I keep feeling there's another I watched in my teens and loved, but can't recall whoops)
I've watched some of the "Thundercats" remake and liked it, but never finished; I couldn't stand the original as a kid, even though I watched it haha. "Adventure Time" and the current DCNation block ("GLTAS", "Young Justice" wink are also some of my all-time faves.

Perfect Genius

10,000 Points
  • Pie For All! 300
  • Millionaire 200
  • Perfect Attendance 400
I have noticed some comments mention Mad. That show is of particular interest to me as I am a regular reader of the magazine and have been for years. I understand why many don't like it, its humor can be very juvenile after all. But I really appreciate how they included a lot of the regular features in the show like the marginals. However, since the show is for a younger audience than the mag it loses most of the important social and political satire. And for those that love/hate Adventure Time, guess who's featured on the next cover? That's right, Fin and Jake.

As for Adventure Time I find the show's animation and concept to be fairly unique and interesting. But I really don't like most of the voice acting and that is what makes it hard for me to watch. Otherwise, it is very enjoyable. Just so everyone knows where I stand on that show.

Also, thanks for the intelligent conversation so far. Keep it up!

Dangerous Visionary

I think that Mad should have been years ago and on a network like Fox, MTV, or something. It was kind of stupid how they did it live action wise when it should have always been animated in the first place.

Also some of the skits just aren't that well research. I would love to see a Pokemon parody from people who watch more than the first two episodes. emotion_facepalm
Current Faves

<< Um, hi. cat_mrgreen

Rainbow Cat

10,900 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Team Jacob 100
  • Junior Trader 100
Personally I miss the old shows from toonmai such as, zatchbell, and you get the picture.
User Image
User Image

Of course it has. They've basically become just like Nick by playing the same shows multiple times a day and that's just overkill. Never mind the fact that the shows, as far as quality goes, really aren't that great.

I do miss the old shows. I miss a lot of 90s CN and the live action is s**t. None of it is entertaining, period. I feel like MAD just breeds people to be douchebags.
I like adventure time, regular show, gumball a little bit. I also watch american dad! and family guy. I love watching bleach, soul eater, and tenchi muyo gxp. Those are the shows I watch.
Live-Action Thoughts
-CARTOON Network. All I need to say.

Want to see less of
-This whole channel at this point.

Want to see more of
-I dunno. Shows that aren't random s**t?
I guess more superhero stuff. I may not be the biggest DC fan, but I did like the Justice League shows. And this... "Young Justice" seems like something I could tolerate.
I WOULD like some Marvel-related stuff, but Disney seems to own all of that, so...
Other than that stuff, I guess more shows from the people who created the good s**t from the 90's.
And maybe something from Jhonen Vasquez. From what I understand, he doesn't wanna work with Nick anymore, so... mrgreen

Current Faves
-From what I've managed to watch recently, everything that isn't a rerun or Adult Swim is just garbage. Then again, I haven't seen Young Justice. So possibly that if it doesn.t suck.

CGI Thoughts
-Meh. Don't care. Except for Nick's TMNT. The turtles look alright, but humans just look awkward.

All-Time Faves
-Dexter's Lab is my favorite. Johnny Bravo's a close second.

Conservative Friend

4,050 Points
  • Member 100
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Forum Regular 100
What ever happened to shows like Scooby Doo, Recess, Dexter's Lab, Jimmy Neutron, Rugrats Hey Arnold, Sailor Moon, Looney Toons, Tom & Jerry, Pokemon, and Yu-gi-oh! Now there's stupid crap like Regular Show, Adventure Time, Chowder, and ect. Plus more!
i don't think so, the cartoons are still good. i miss powerpuff girls though crying

Interesting Gaian

3,450 Points
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Hygienic 200
  • Entrepreneur 150
I think the shows now are good like regular show

Conservative Shapeshifter

9,325 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Member 100
  • Gaian 50
I admit cartoon network really disapointed me. it doesnt have that sensation of "omg dude let see this show at this hr or whatever" what i mean is it doesn't get you hyped up for it, its more like you'll watch that channel because you're bored and there's nothing on kind of thing lol

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff