Welcome to Gaia! ::

Beloved Warlord

10,275 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Member 100
  • Dressed Up 200
After the movie 9 came out i felt there should be some pg13 aniamted movies i mean c'mon how cool would it be to see a crazy action flick thats entirely animated........ emo

Dangerous Visionary

Animation age ghetto in full effect yo and it will be a long time if EVER that will break. I mean I think the last adult animation we had was South Park one or maybe Simpson.

Shy Gawker

There is no way a child would ever appreciate Rango as much as an adult would. And that's just how Gore Verbinski intended it to be.
I know there were a few animated movies that were far from kid-friendly (Fritz the Cat, anyone?) but it seems that most people assume that if it's animated then it's automatically for kids.
The only way we'll start to see strictly adult oriented animated features, is if the market can prove to hollywood that there's money to be made in them. The popularity of shows like Archer and many anime series proves that there's an audience, but will that audience buy movie tickets, related merchandise and dvd/bluray releases of these movies? Knowing how most people view their anime, I seriously doubt it.

In a relationship with C0GTALE-Sans

I agree 3nodding

Invisible Gaian

9,650 Points
  • Nerd 50
  • Somebody Likes You 100
  • Generous 100
We're slowly breaking out of the cycle but it seems every time an animated movie comes out for adults it does poorly.

Beowulf didn't really slay in the box office and I'm not seeing amazing sale figures from Dark Knight Returns Part 1 and Part 2 which feature full on nudity and uberviolence.

It would be wonderful... but it never happens because there is seemingly no market for it.

3,450 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Voter 100
  • Conversationalist 100
I agree, animation should be seen as a form of a media instead of being judged solely on what the majority of it is intended for. In the case of western animated films, it is family orientated material.

Anyways, speaking of an adult animated film, there's one in production as of the time of this post:

Hell & Back
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2141773/

Shadowy Girl

11,875 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Popular Thread 100
  • Citizen 200
I think we've finally gotten over the animation age ghetto imo, but we still haven't gotten over what I like to call the "animation must be comedy ghetto".

It seems everyone thinks that cartoons have to be funny. Thanks to South Park (which is a genuinely good show) and Family Guy (not so much), people no longer think animation is purely kids' stuff. However, now they think that if it's not for children it has to be crude humor. Cartoons for adults must be like Family Guy, it seems.

This kind of mindset is what got Moral Orel cancelled.

Robotic Exhibitionist

SingingGoombas
There is no way a child would ever appreciate Rango as much as an adult would. And that's just how Gore Verbinski intended it to be.

Oh, yes, this. The same goes for Fantastic Mr. Fox.

Distinct Lunatic

4,000 Points
  • Happy Birthday! 100
  • Hygienic 200
  • Brandisher 100
SingingGoombas
When Hunter had a cameo when Rango hit the windshield, I was the ONLY one laughing in the theater full of parents and their children.

Dapper Dabbler

Dante's Inferno is like that. I wish there were more.
Miss-dark8607
Animation age ghetto in full effect yo and it will be a long time if EVER that will break. I mean I think the last adult animation we had was South Park one or maybe Simpson.

"Adult"?

Hardly.

I'd only grant that those series are "Adult" in the way that "Lol! That comedian said d**k! Keep your 10 year olds out of his show!" is "Adult."

That and Persepolis would like to challenge the idea that they are the "Last" adult animation we had.

Invisible Regular

9,750 Points
  • Pie Hoarder by Proxy 150
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Conversationalist 100
Rhapsodna
After the movie 9 came out i felt there should be some pg13 aniamted movies i mean c'mon how cool would it be to see a crazy action flick thats entirely animated........ emo

it's like that because americans are stupid and think that animation should only be for children.
which is why I started watching japanese animation which is often aimed at older teens and even adults.
It frustrates me greatly because I see so many movies that I think could have been so much more visually interesting if they'd gone with some style of animation. Not to mention action movies and such are mostly computer-animated anyway these days.

I think Pulp Fiction and Silence of the Lambs, for example, would have made great animated films because the medium would have allowed a range of interpretation not available in live action, which we won't get as long as the mindset Animation=For Kids is the prevailing idea. All I hear are people saying things the other way- that Lilo and Stitch would be even better if it had live-action actors and CGI aliens, or how Black Swan was the live-action remake that Perfect Blue needed.

I hate how animated films can only win at the oscars in special "in an animated film" category, like they're not good enough to play with the big boys. Or how voice-over work isn't "acting" so no matter how amazing the performance, they can't win for best actor.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff