Welcome to Gaia! ::

I heard that Tim Burton's Alice in Wonderland was more like a sequel to Disney's Alice in Wonderland. Whether this is what the man's true intention was I'm uncertain. I do admit that I like it more when I think of it as a sequel and not a remake by Tim Burton.

Spoiler Alert: If you have not seen it yet do not read further.

It establishes that she has these dreams of Underland as a child which would recognize the first movie as she has been there before and this time she visits it for real. This is probably why the thing just cut to the chase, in my opinion it was because of this it felt really short. Most of us are quite familiar with the tale and would compare this to the book or movie which makes our standards really high this was probably another reason why they didn't go the same direction they went or what we were expecting. The movie had some good traits, like focusing a set of characters and not a bunch of one shot gimmicks (although secretly I was hoping for a little bit more of that) because of this you could get a sense of what the characters are and their relationship toward Alice as she becomes more certain of her destiny. It did reflect the reality that Alice was facing which was a trait I also liked. The visuals were colorful and beautiful.

The main flaw I have with this movie was it seemed to simple to be Alice in Wonderland, it needed more complications in the story. Alas once again he explains why the character is the way he is, the Mad Hatter. Like with Willy Wanka in Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, we didn't need a background story on how is the way he is. I thought it was a little weird that they were trying to make the Mad Hatter have a bigger Role with Alice.

End Spoiler Alert

In my opinion, I like it but it REALLY needed more.
At first I was hoping he would do a movie based on the American McGee interpretation, I thought it would be a little more easy for him to adapt.

O.G. Capitalist

it was never meant to be a remake
it was just its own story

Dangerous Pirate

12,000 Points
  • Partygoer 500
  • Invisibility 100
  • Jolly Roger 50
A McGee version. Omg. I would spazz horribly if they did make a Mcgee styled one.

*w*

And yes it was more of a sequel and it does leave you wanting more.

But I think that was the purpose? Lol. Subliminally to go watch it again and again.

XD

Jk Jk.

But yes, anyways, very good analysis. I hope this enlightens others who do not know of the original story or keep trying to dissect it against the original when it's based more as a sequel.

Shadowy Phantom

11,575 Points
  • Partygoer 500
  • Millionaire 200
  • That One Hero 500
Yes, i agree, it is more based on the second book Through the looking glass, the second adventure through wonderland, but it is eclectic in Tim Burton's style. The Mad Hatter, yes was important, but as was the door mouse, and other characters. It was a good movie, in my opinion, and worth the money spent to see it. But as that is my opinion, i agree with myself in this point.
I Agree just another part like part 2 but yet slitly funnier to me but it was awesomeGO JONNY DEPP

Ice-Cold Bloodsucker

19,890 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Team Rina 200
  • Elocutionist 200
I saw it I also thought it was more of a sequel to the Walt Disney Alice in Wonderland weather or not that was his intentions or not it seemd that way to me.

Business Tycoon

8,500 Points
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Entrepreneur 150
  • Trader 100
I always thought it was like a part 2 to me . . .

Festive Hunter

14,275 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Super Tipsy 200
  • Lavish Tipper 200
well to me tim burton too the story and add him magic and his view on the story and characters

In a relationship with a fictitious character

Monster Lover

I saw it more of a sequel as well and have always wanted to see Tim Burton's rendition of it.

I'm tired of seeing all the elitists going around saying people can't like this movie just because thy didn't read the book or see Disney's version.

Reveler

have any of you ACTUALLY READ alice in wonderland?

then you should be familiar with "through the looking glass"
this story follows that one. and it clearly is a sequel of the animated disney alice in wonderland.
I thought the Johnny Depp as the Mad Hatter was great. He was totally freaky when you're look at him and I do admit I wasn't sure about seeing it until he started talking which really completed the character. I found him more acceptable. I may have mentioned this before but I thought it was weird that they were making him a more important role.

I do admit there was some points where it reminded me of Jack Sparrow... not sure..

Yes I have read both books and liked how they inserted the quotes in from it in the movie.
Actually, I keep getting the feeling that it's because people are thinking of the movie as a remake that they don't like it. I've heard a lot of people say it makes too much sense--takes what was meant by Lewis Carroll to make no sense whatsoever and made it into too much of a story.

But when I think of it, I think of it as a sequel-ish kind of alternate universe, almost like a fanwork speculation on what could have been behind the original story. That makes me kind of like it, because I like the original for not making sense, but I like this for pulling such a neat story out of the original work it was inspired from.

It was a great take on it, once you get past the "oh s**t what the hell it makes sense" bit.
its supposed to be a sequal where shes coming back to wonderland it wasnt a remake just tim burtons adaption to another part of the ''alice'' story
I think what people were expecting was a little more nonsense, a side quest, more exploration of Underland and not how straight forward the movie was.

Newbie Noob

It was a sequel right? It showed scenes from the Disney animated classic as flash-backs.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff