Welcome to Gaia! ::

OMGz :O!!!!

O.o??? 1 100.0% [ 714 ]
Total Votes:[ 714 ]
< 1 2 3 4 ... 14 15 16 >

Idaliawildmagic85
blaugh Well if you thing about it Mad Hatter is a title not a name. My mom in a sane stay at home mom but she has a name. lol

Very few of the characters are named in the books so much as given titles.
thats pretty amazing.
Madame_Fluffy
Kazikano
Madame_Fluffy
Urgh - NONE OF THEM HAVE NAMES!

Tim Burton did not create Alice in Wonderland; this is just his take on it.

Thus, the names ARE NOT canon. XP

The only ones that have a name (and are canon) are Alice, Tweedle Dee and Tweedle Dum. Everyone elses names were pulled from Burton's/Disney's rump. XP

And TweedleDee & TweedleDum aren't even from Alice's Adventures in Wonderland.

Nope - they came from the sequel 'Through the Looking Glass'.

You do know there were TWO books, right?

I hope that question was directed at Candy and Madness

Nerd

Madame_Fluffy
Actually, plenty of people did b***h; but then - it's Disney, and Disney hates unhappy endings.

Quite honestly, the endings of all classic fairy tales were butchered by Disney's need to make everyone live happily ever after.

No lessons are learned, no true hardships faced - none.

Well, I remember watching these 'butchered' Disney classics when I was growing up and I have to say; if they were anything like the originals (especially The Little Mermaid) I don't think it would of been suitable for children.
I really enjoyed them, and that's ultimately the point. Not whether they offend you because they're nothing like the original book. These are films and we all know they never stay true to the book, it's not always possible. Not to mention the the fact that they're aimed mostly at a very young audience.

I think you, and many others who've come on here just to moan that's it's not 100% exactly like the originals, should bear these things in mind. Oh, and if this film was exactly true to the books just like the last god knows how many Alice in Wonderland films, it would've been extremely boring in my opinion.

Nerd

I'm loving how everyone's assuming just because you like this Tim Burton version that means, automatically, you've not read the books.
([CandyKoRn])
Madame_Fluffy
Actually, plenty of people did b***h; but then - it's Disney, and Disney hates unhappy endings.

Quite honestly, the endings of all classic fairy tales were butchered by Disney's need to make everyone live happily ever after.

Well, I remember watching these 'butchered' Disney classics when I was growing up and I have to say; if they were anything like the originals (especially The Little Mermaid) I don't think it would of been suitable for children.
I really enjoyed them, and that's ultimately the point. Not whether they offend you because they're nothing like the original book. These are films and we all know they never stay true to the book, it's not always possible. Not to mention the the fact that they're aimed mostly at a very young audience.

I think you, and many others who've come on here just to moan that's it's not 100% exactly like the originals, should bear these things in mind. Oh, and if this film was exactly true to the books just like the last god knows how many Alice in Wonderland films, it would've been extremely boring in my opinion.

I can't think of a single Alice in Wonderland film that did stay exactly true to the books.

Nerd

Kazikano
([CandyKoRn])
Madame_Fluffy

I can't think of a single Alice in Wonderland film that did stay exactly true to the books.

I know, but that's what I meant when I said about films are never just like the books. I can't think of a single example where they were. Film and literature are two very different mediums afterall.
([CandyKoRn])
Oh, and if this film was exactly true to the books just like the last god knows how many Alice in Wonderland films

([CandyKoRn])
I said about films are never just like the books. I can't think of a single example where they were. Film and literature are two very different mediums afterall.

Nerd

Kazikano
([CandyKoRn])
Oh, and if this film was exactly true to the books just like the last god knows how many Alice in Wonderland films

([CandyKoRn])
I said about films are never just like the books. I can't think of a single example where they were. Film and literature are two very different mediums afterall.

Yeah, probably could of worded it better. :]
Point being that this film wasn't intended to be like the books, unlike the other rehashes. This particular film was in a vein of it's own. Which I'm guessing is what all the bitching is about.
hatter's name is pretty effing sexy. 4laugh
([CandyKoRn])
Madame_Fluffy

Exactly - Disney looking to give everyone a 'happily ever after'; which, quite honestly, sucks - as not everything in life is happy and not everyone gets what they want in the end. Villians are not always vanquished, good people do not always reap the rewards. It would be nice to see Disney actually make something that didn't have a happy ending.

([CandyKoRn
)]I think you, and many others who've come on here just to moan that's it's not 100% exactly like the originals, should bear these things in mind. Oh, and if this film was exactly true to the books just like the last god knows how many Alice in Wonderland films, it would've been extremely boring in my opinion.

It's not the revisioning that bothers me, really (Hell - American McGee's Alice was freaking awesome and a wonerfully twisted version of the Alice storyline) - but the fact that fans of the movie are going on and on about the 'awesome/sexi' names and acting like they always had names when they never did that annoys the Hell out of me.

An that last part - seriously, read the books. The books are fantastic - if you can allow your imagination to envision the written word. And the movies that came before Burton's, which were more faithful to the book (not 100% accurate, but still relatively faithful, as the endings were generally accurate) - were far superior.

Nerd

Madame_Fluffy
([CandyKoRn])
Madame_Fluffy

Exactly - Disney looking to give everyone a 'happily ever after'; which, quite honestly, sucks - as not everything in life is happy and not everyone gets what they want in the end. Villians are not always vanquished, good people do not always reap the rewards. It would be nice to see Disney actually make something that didn't have a happy ending.

([CandyKoRn
)]I think you, and many others who've come on here just to moan that's it's not 100% exactly like the originals, should bear these things in mind. Oh, and if this film was exactly true to the books just like the last god knows how many Alice in Wonderland films, it would've been extremely boring in my opinion.

It's not the revisioning that bothers me, really (Hell - American McGee's Alice was freaking awesome and a wonerfully twisted version of the Alice storyline) - but the fact that fans of the movie are going on and on about the 'awesome/sexi' names and acting like they always had names when they never did that annoys the Hell out of me.

An that last part - seriously, read the books. The books are fantastic - if you can allow your imagination to envision the written word. And the movies that came before Burton's, which were more faithful to the book (not 100% accurate, but still relatively faithful, as the endings were generally accurate) - were far superior.

I understand what you're saying about the way Disney always gives everyone a happy ever after, but from a childs perspective I'm not sure it would be appropriate to tell the truth. Atleast not the whole truth. As an adult, that's different ofcourse.

7,200 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Megathread 100
His name kind of makes him sound evil
Didnt know! thnkz for pointing it out!
([CandyKoRn])
Madame_Fluffy

Well, contrary to how everyone keeps using The Little Mermaid as an example, I watched a non-Disney movie version that was accurate to the Hans Christian Anderson version as a little kid, I didn't have a problem with it. Frankly, it has a bittersweet ending, not an unhappy one. She does, after all, become a - I think they were called sisters of the wind? - after she dies. I'd say Sleeping Beauty makes a better example, though it was more "decapitated" than "butchered" (a big chunk of story was lopped off the end). While it did have a happy ending originally, it's cut pretty close, and there's some really gruesome stuff, plenty of drama and a couple of forboding jokes. (Contrary to popular belief, many Brothers Grimm fairy tales did have happy endings, it just invariably came after grim humor, gruesome parts or other such things.) And I don't see that much editing in Cinderella or Snow White. In fact, the only gruesome version of Cinderella I've heard was one of many book varients. And in Aladdin, the only major diferences were that the villian was imprisoned rather than destroyed and they added comic relief (it's as good a term for what they did to the genie as any).
So, not all were butchered, really.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces