Welcome to Gaia! ::

Cluttered Conversationalist

User Image

I didn't really like this movie. It didn't have that Tim Burton spark to it. If I forget some aspect, let me know.

Positive points:
Graphics -
Not including some oft he animated parts (Like when she was falling, it looked.. yeah.), I think the graphics were cute. By graphics I also mean outfits.

Cheshire Cat -
Didn't really like the other characters (The caterpillar wasn't bad. The red queen was pretty cool too.) but the Cheshire Cat was freaking amazing. From the colors they chose for him to his nickname "Ches". Loved him, the voice was great. His personality was great too. It does seem like a more mature version of the Cheshire Cat. Playful, but mature.

Negative points:
Storyline -
I mean what the hell? This storyline has no important aspect of it. She suddenly falls and has to fufill a prophecy? There was no backing to why she even chose to do it. Random is okay, but that was just awful.

Romance -
Okay, I've read a lot of romance fan fictions about Alice in the Wonderland with the whole affair between Alice and the Mad Hatter. But in this case... no. Just no. It doesn't work. It looked like they were into each other. I was on the edge of my seat every time going, "Oh please don't kiss or something."

Character Portrayal -
I'm not a fangirl for any actor. Johnny Depp wasn't deep or complex at all (Took deep and complex from another thread). The dance at the end was cute, but it just made me think, "... this is just silly, but not the crazy silly I imagined the Mad Hatter to be." Also, the other characters were just like, "Uhh... Okay. So her nose falls off." Also, the white queen was meant to be graceful, I guess, but all the hand gestures just made her look.. stupid to me. Actually, my friend and I found it hilarious and started walking around like that the next day.

What I would've liked to see:
Alice in Wonderland Remake -
They've done it a million times, but I think Tim Burton would've had better luck making a remake and not a sequel.

Creepier movie -
That's the special aspect about Tim Burton's previous movies. They're creepy, but not crazy creepy so much that it's random crap. They're creative and imaginative. This movie, however.. needed some major help in that department.

I come back to this thread to respond! Be back to see it. xD

Lupine Hellraiser

Didnt you post one like this already?

Edit: Oh same one. My bad. xD

Lupine Hellraiser

I personally did not see the whole Alice/Hatter thing.
They cared for each other and thats it really.

A remake would've been boring. Overdone and people would just b***h more.

Also, Burton's films creepy? I guess thats based on opinion cause I dont find them creepy at all.

Hathaway's movements were purposefully over-exaggerated. I found them quite amusing. They show how prissy and proper she is supposed to be. Also, the Hatter has never really been a complex character. Most versions dont have a background at all.
I didn't see the "vibes" between Alice and the Mad Hatter. To me it seemed like he was just fulfilling his protective nature. I didn't see any sort of twisted romance at all.

The cheshire cat was my favorite character heart

I actually really liked the way the White Queen was portrayed. She comes from a rather twisted bloodline, so it makes sense that she's over-the-top. I also read somewhere that the character was meant to be flitty and cheesy because she is frightened of becoming like her sister. You could see her dark side when she was making that potion for Alice.

User Image

Keen: Oh, I just bumped it. xD
And I say it. I think the Mad Hatter was more of a protector, but he didn't act that way. Looked like Alice protected him more. They seemed to do this, "I will protect you from the Red Queen and you'll protect me from my insanity." I mean they did that in Soul Eater (Yes, I'm referencing awesome anime. xD) and they did it well, I didn't think the characters were in love, they looked like they were protector over each other for different things. In this show, it was just this emotional strew of, "Save mee because only you can." which sounded a little love struck to me.

I would've lived a remake because I hated all the other Alice in Wonderland movies. With the graphic skills and creativity of Tim Burton, I think he could've worked off the storyline they already have, perhaps put a little action twist to it.

Well, creepy probably isn't the right word for it. I think it's dark and, not exactly mysterious, but dark and unique. His other movies build off ideas but this Alice in Wonderland movie.. I dunno where it was going.

The Hatter was better explained in the book. I think he had more character. I think the movie portrayed character poorly by focusing too much on body language and less on speech or reasons behind actions.

Ice Scream: Read above about the love affair part. LOL. Cheshire was amazing. <3

And you bring a really good point about the White Queen that I didn't think of.. I still don't like how she was portrayed, but I do see where he was going with the whole twisted bloodline. That's a good point. O:
Storyline: I believe what I read was Tim Burton was going for more of a symbolic representation. I thought it was very well explained and backed up although I did have to see it more than once in order to understand some of the illusions and twists he added. This film was more intellectually challenging then most of Tim Burton's films designed for a younger audience, which is why I think people were thrown. He also had the added difficulty of attempting to appeal to multiple age groups without leading to far one way over the other hence what you said about the lack of "creepiness" (if you can call it that because it's more about some sort of mental twist rather than creepy, he has more of a Hitchcock style than say whoever made the Ring or other low level horror movies.)
Romance: I don't know how to address this because I honestly think it's a lot of BS and people seeing what they want to see. Burton kept things open to interpretation another defining style of his work.
Character Portrayal: Burton's characters for children's movies are rarely "deep." What he does do is give them a background story which I guess could be considered "deep" by some people. However, it hardly has the quality of character development that you see in older movies such as Breakfast At Tiffany's or Cool Hand Luke. The character who is not static and the only one who isn't meant to be static is Alice herself, hence the slow development into a character who is in charge of her destiny. Instead of her destiny running her, hence the use of the "prophecy." As for the other characters most were illusions to things that were a part of Alice's life, almost like Dorothy in the Wizard of Oz and the clash of two worlds.

Alice in Wonderland Remake:
NONONO A HUNDRED TIMES NO. There are at least 20 versions, the best in my opinion being the disney cartoon version because of all the subtleties hidden in it. However, they all have different things to bring to the table, however to have Burton do a remake is just an insult to his skill as a director. Tim Burton does things his own way and to try and force him into a box would be a disaster. (Also creepier movie? It was designed for a lower age group, if you were expecting another Edward Scissorhands or Sweeny Todd you definitely went to the WRONG movie.)
I do agree =/ I was sorely disappointed in the plot line. Kind of hoped for a little more out of Burten.
Demynxis

Okay, I've read a lot of romance fan fictions about Alice in the Wonderland with the whole affair between Alice and the Mad Hatter. But in this case... no. Just no. It doesn't work. It looked like they were into each other. I was on the edge of my seat every time going, "Oh please don't kiss or something."

thats actually pretty funny XD

were you litterally on the edge of your seat, actually saying that out loud? Hilarious!

User Image

Packed: I personally didn't see the symbolize representation. Even at my age group, it wasn't that I didn't understand the movie, it was that the movie had such a surface meaning that made me go, "Really? Is that it?" I had seen films that have that subtle meaning that have a message inside of a message inside of a message and then the whole movie is a message. This movie to me was more about overcoming challenges and the consequences of a tyranny. That was about it. I think if that's honestly what he was going for, okay, he did it somewhat decently. Other then that, there were too many unexplained symbols that didn't add to the story well at all. There was the guy with patch who was hitting on Alice and soon just acts like some sort of weirdo. His part was significant in the beginning, but then he was chained up to the Red Queen and it's like, "Well that wasn't predictable at all." so the message there is karma. Too typical and not lead around well.

Romance: I found a great deal of hint for romance in this movie. And no, I'm not seeing what I want to see, as my interpretation may be different then yours, I still back up my own reasoning. If you read up, I explain more about how they acted more like a hinted couple then protector and protected.

Character Portrayal: See, that's the thing. The was hardly a background story that was interesting at all. She's back to wonderland, okay. She rejects it, okay. Then she is put into this huge situation where she has to grow up ans do something about it. Oh gee, where have I heard that from... a lot of movies. I find this a cliche that Tim Burton didn't do well. I don't mind cliches, but he just didn't do this one well. His characters were too flat. The only characters I saw that actually had personality was the Cheshire Cat, the Mouse, and the caterpillar. Their expression to things, their response to actions, they were "illusions" I found relevant to the story. I would've liked to see the caterpillar more.

Alice in Wonderland Remake: Then why didn't he get creative with it? It'd be better then trying to make a sequel of it. Like I said, if you read up, I think if he did a remake with his own twist to it (Hell, add in a battle) it would've been much better then what he tried to produce with this movie. He can creatively work on ideas, I know that. It's not forcing him into a box, it's starting him out with an idea that interests people and a storyline to work out with. I personally think his storylines are simple and basic and there is nothing wrong with that. But to make up the interest, you need to up your game on everything else which I think he did poorly. Might as well start with a solid storyline, change a few things here and there, and focus more on his characters.

And I was expecting less Corpse Bride status if you were wondering. He can't have some of the characters have the under-tone creepiness and not apply it to the story. Example, the Mad Hatter was a a little insane which I think was an aspect of the hatter that made him so special. The Red Queen be-headed people and put them in her pool, I think that's under-toned creepy. little aspects like that was in the story, but it hardly added to the story at all and I wished to see more of that.

Wolf: Same here! Like I said above, I think Corpse Bride was an simple storyline, but he built it up from the ground well and it's one of those quirky stories making you go, "Huh?"

Sammi: I DID. I really did. My friend and I were elbowing each other and I was like, "Ahh, they're gonna kiss!" and she's like, "NO, STOPIT. BACK UP ALICE. STOPIT."

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff