Welcome to Gaia! ::

Everything was great, except for the most important thing: the plot.

I don't know if this is going to make sense to anyone or not,
but there was too much meaning. Too much of a story.
I did not like that, one bit.

I mean, isn't Alice in Wonderland supposed to be a dream?
It wasn't really, really supposed to make sense.
And the whole, Alice going back to Wonderland to finish what she started or whatever?
Uhm.

The character designs were great though, and so was the acting, and the graphics.
I just didn't like Anne Hathaway. Or her character. She rapes every character she plays, dear God.

5,800 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Invisibility 100
  • Hygienic 200
Haha, I agree.

I thought the graphics and the characters were very well developed, but the plot was just too put together, too real compared to the original way Lewis Carol imagined it.

I did, however, enjoy J. Depp's character, I think he did a fantastic job.
My second

User Image
Just close your ears and then it doesn't stink. If you looked at the pretty pictures the whole time it was quite nice, otherwise I was sorely disappointed.

soul

User Image
@ The Holographic Muffin: He did a MARVELOUS job! I wasn't a fan of his until I watched this movie.

@ Mysecondsoul: Exactly.
I say the cartoon was wayyy better than the new twisted version. I mean Burton should have just made his own movie, starting all over.
I do admit that the scenery was pretty cool and since I saw it in 3D it was even better but other than that I was extremely disappointed.

stare
When I saw the trailers for this I hated how it looked. Now that I've seen the movie though I can still say, I hated how it looked.
Other than that, the plot wasn't super bad or anything, but it wasn't a very good movie.
I think they made Alice way too old.
Conventional American films, which is what this was (and regardless of style, what Tim Burton directs), follow the Hero's Quest outline 98% of the time. So I wasn't too surprised at that (Nightmare Before Christmas is a perfect Hero's Quest, and some of Burton's other films are either Hero's Quests or have synonymous parts and archetypes). If they had done it more dream-like, like Alice in Wonderland is originally, it wouldn't have appealed to as many people. They had to normal it up a bit to make it "worth" producing.
I thought they did a good job referencing things from the books, alluding to characterization in the Ordinary World setting, and as always, Johnny Depp is one of the greatest actors of our time. It might be Tim Burton's Alice in Wonderland, but it's Johnny Depp's Mad Hatter.
I was kinda disappointed too. I mean, it was TIM BURTON! I was expecting it to be a lot creepier. but it really wasn't and yeah, I liked the books a whole lot better than any movie, well, save the syfy channel's Alice was ammaaazzinnnggg not close to the book at all but still awesome.

Sparkly Gaian

9,750 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Intermediate Skill 100
  • Forum Dabbler 200
musawi
Everything was great, except for the most important thing: the plot.

I don't know if this is going to make sense to anyone or not,
but there was too much meaning. Too much of a story.
I did not like that, one bit.

I mean, isn't Alice in Wonderland supposed to be a dream?
It wasn't really, really supposed to make sense.
And the whole, Alice going back to Wonderland to finish what she started or whatever?
Uhm.

The character designs were great though, and so was the acting, and the graphics.
I just didn't like Anne Hathaway. Or her character. She rapes every character she plays, dear God.

Yeah, I agree with that. I was a little disappointed with how it turned out. But Johnny Depp's weird dance near the end was epic. xd
I thought it was going to be awesome, based on the books and Tim Burton.
It wasn't.
Quite the opposite, in fact.
Maybe Tim Burton has just gotten worse...
Raining Stardrops
I think they made Alice way too old.

yeah! that bothered me too, shes eight years old in the books. but then again it was as if she's coming back so i guess it did make sense.
I didn't like it either but I can't say exactly why...but your points are very good and I agree.

Miss Joe's Husband

Angelic Ally

12,275 Points
  • Beta Gaian 0
  • Angelic Alliance 100
  • Bookworm 100
When I first heard that Depp was playing the Hatter, I was a bit...hesitant to applaude the role he landed. It isn't that I don't like Depp; He's a great actor. I loved his Jack Sparrow, as well as his Ichabod and Gene Watson. The only thing is, With his recent Willy Wonka in the new Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, he was more creepy/***** in his acting than anything, to me. So when I first heard he was playing the Hatter, I thought, "Well, that's not right. The Hatter is supposed to be MAD, like, really not right in the head." I though Depp would butcher the role and be a creepy Hatter, that uses a high voice when he wants to be "dramatic" ( I hope you know what I'm talking about).
That didn't make me not want to see the movie; I've wanted to ever since I saw the trailer (I read the book several times over and I thought it would be amazing). I told people that I didn't think Depp would be a good Hatter though, is what I'm trying to spit out. I told everyone that I hope he proves me wrong, and from what I've heard, he did.

Incase you were too lazy to read that, I have a question, that I'll put in big, bold letters:

Was Depp a truly "MAD" Hatter? Or was he a "CREEPY" Hatter?

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff