Welcome to Gaia! ::

6,450 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Autobiographer 200
DO U THINK THAT THEY MADE A MISTAKE BY REMAKING THE ALICE IN WONDERLAND MOVIE ??? COMMENT ON UR HONEST OPINION
No, I think it made Alice more entertaining
To be honest the Disney cartoon kinda sucked
I reckon nobody ever cared much
UNTIL the movie

Eloquent Streaker

It was not a remake, it was a spiritual sequel to the books and the movie.

Eloquent Streaker

H O L I K O X_X
UNTIL the movie
Wrong, wrong, and furthermore, wrong. It's certainly never had the popularity of the other Disney movies of the time, but barring the Tim Burton film, no other Alice in Wonderland movie has been even half as popular or successful as the animated Disney version.

And the original animated movie is considerably better than the Burton film- it actually followed the story, had great voice acting, and didn't make the idiotic mistake of making the Mad Hatter, a MINOR CHARACTER in the book, the focus of the story.
Requiem in Mortis
H O L I K O X_X
UNTIL the movie
Wrong, wrong, and furthermore, wrong. It's certainly never had the popularity of the other Disney movies of the time, but barring the Tim Burton film, no other Alice in Wonderland movie has been even half as popular or successful as the animated Disney version.

And the original animated movie is considerably better than the Burton film- it actually followed the story, had great voice acting, and didn't make the idiotic mistake of making the Mad Hatter, a MINOR CHARACTER in the book, the focus of the story.

You got to be kidding me! Who cares about following the plot when there is loads more Alice in Wonderland movies. In this time and era we need something new to remake movies. Everyone knows what happens to Alice and we don't need it to be repeated over and over again. I think Tim Burton did an excellent job on Alice in Wonderland when he combined the two stories to one and besides the original Alice was young and the Alice in Tim Burton is more older version and I believe it was a very good sequel even though it is not a original one.
NO exclaim

Eloquent Streaker

H O L I K O X_X
Requiem in Mortis
H O L I K O X_X
UNTIL the movie

You got to be kidding me! Who cares about following the plot when there is loads more Alice in Wonderland movies. In this time and era we need something new to remake movies. Everyone knows what happens to Alice and we don't need it to be repeated over and over again. I think Tim Burton did an excellent job on Alice in Wonderland when he combined the two stories to one and besides the original Alice was young and the Alice in Tim Burton is more older version and I believe it was a very good sequel even though it is not a original one.
Again, only two of those Alice in Wonderland movies get any attention paid to them, and both were released by Disney. Nor is Burton's film a remake of the original film, or a mash-up of the two books- it's a spiritual sequel showing a "what if" scenario of what happens long after the books.

And it is mediocre. Too much emphasis was put on the Mad Hatter solely because he was played by Johnny Depp, and not enough emphasis was put on the character who should have been the FOCUS of the movie- Alice. As such, the film suffered because of it. It's like Avatar in a way- once you look past the admittedly great visuals (and in Alice's case, rather fun characters), it's a boring, insubstantial movie that fails to live up to both it's hype and the legacy of the books it's based off of.

It's not a bad movie, but it's ridiculously overrated.
yup
if anything i care way less about alice in wonderland after seeing that pile of s**t
was considering reading the novels but after seeing that atrocity?

User Image

NOPE
I really enjoyed the remake, but I still prefer the original only because I grew up with it and it has always been my favorite Disney movie. The only bad thing about the remake is that people claim to be big Alice fans yet they have never read the book nor have they seen the original, a lot of people i know didn't even know there was an original.

Kawaii Autobiographer

4,600 Points
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Signature Look 250
  • Happy Birthday! 100
If we're talking about Tim Burton's version, I've got to be perfectly honest, I found it to be an atrocious film that very well almost killed Alice in Wonderland for me.
Now some of you are probably thinking "OMFG WTF is wrong with youuu?!"
Well my dears, let me tell you;

To start off, the movie is called Alice in Wonderland. Not Johnny Depp puts on a Ronald McDonald wig and runs around doing a role that is so similar to a lot of roles he's in these days. Seriously, may I direct your attention to Alice? Oh wait, that's right, Alice isn't even interesting to look at, and the actress who portrays her is so bland and boring it's a wonder she even got screen time.
Movie Posters for this film emphasise this, because Alice isn't even in the centre of the majority of the advertisments. It's The Mad Hatter, the Queen of Hearts or the White Queen.

On the topic of Alice, who else notices that she is almost made entirely irrelevant to the plot? Alice doesn't do anything exciting in the whole movie. She runs around, avoiding being captured, and then when it appears on that Frabjulous day she's going to slay the Jabberwocky, what do you know, the blade can fight on it's own will, which means that she didn't have to do a thing.
If this is the case, why would you bother making a movie about Alice in Wonderland if you're not even going to have her kill the beast herself?

Next, the beginning of the film set in Victorian England. A nice idea, and could have been pulled off-if the costume designs weren't so accentuated and emphasised to the point it felt entirely fake. Yes, victorian dresses and suits were quite elaborate, but they didn't look like cartoons.
Alice here, is again the most boring character to watch since just about every other character brings some better entertainment to the table than her.

The scene where The Mad Hatter is apparently from some tribe of hatters where he is the last of his kind is very uninspired. Seriously, did Tim Burton sit in front of his computer on fanfiction.net reading roughly 500,000 fanfictions of werewolves, kitsune-clans and what not where the character is the last of their kind/tribe/pack/clan?
Also, if you're going to have The Mad Hatter trick his way out of beheadment, why would you have an obnoxious dance at the end of the movie where he can actually remove his own head? I know Wonderland was a world of nonsense, but in this context, it appeared his losing of a head was going to be quite tragic. However he can do it when he's happy, for whatever reason and yet live.

The dialogue of the film is also annoying. They are all insane, yes, but when your script circulates similies and synonyms for words such as "mad", "crazy", "insane", it's pretty bland and a bit irritating.

It's true artists will take a story and try and make their own interpretation, but if they are to do this, they definitely should try and make a good attempt at it. Tim Burton failed at this.
They didn't remake it, it's kind of a mere continuation, a sequel,
So, no. It wasn't

Liberal Genius

Whatever it was considered, I disliked Tim Burton's version of the movie so much, I've read the originals from Lewis Carrol and the Walt Disney version was a cute adaptation, it didn't go exactly to the story but he hints to original elements of the book, Now Burton did that too with "Jabberwocky" but Burton really just made the story dark and boring, Alice wasn't meant to be a dark story, it's a book Lewis wrote for a little girl named Alice Lidell or Lidell ( however you spell it ) because he was in love with her but that's a whole other story, I watch this movie and I don't feel like I'm watching an adaptation of the story at all, just some boring new thing that he came up with that was in no way interesting neutral

Keep In Mind I love Tim Burton but his version of Alice was an insult in my opinion

Lavish Wench

12,450 Points
  • Object of Affection 150
  • Jolly Roger 50
  • Battle Hardened 150
That depends on how you look at it. And I assume we're talking about the film directed by Tim Burton.

I'm not going to say it was a good movie. I actually thought it was pretty awful, and it seems many people share that opinion. However, the movie was very successful. It was a highly profitable movie as far as the film studio is concerned. That counts for something. Why are there so many lousy remakes? Because people keep going to see them.

It wasn't a mistake to make it. I think it achieved what it set out to do (which was to milk money out of Burton fans). But was it good? Hell no. Was it a mistake? Not really. There's been so many film adaptations of Alice in Wonderland. Not all are good. This was just another bad one... Albeit a profitable bad one.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff