Welcome to Gaia! ::

Dapper Codger

Hitachin
Digitally Enhanced Gasm

*High five*
Tell this fool how good Team America is.

We got one of the top 5 goalies in the world, a new coaching staff, and a top 100 forward. That's really about it.

Still theyre pretty good I must admit.

Opinionated Combatant

10,275 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Battle: KO 200
Digitally Enhanced Gasm

Yep. If there was ever a chance that USA would get into the top 16 and higher, it would be this year. Going by qualifiers, the USA team in the past is no where near as good as the USA team this year.
because my home country never ******** makes it to the world cup?
so i support the netherlands this year. i lived there anyways so i'm not ~appropriating nothin

also: the us getting into the top sixteen?
lol nope
but actually, a lot of the teams so far haven't been in top form so :u

Dapper Codger

boulingerie
because my home country never ******** makes it to the world cup?
so i support the netherlands this year. i lived there anyways so i'm not ~appropriating nothin

also: the us getting into the top sixteen?
lol nope
but actually, a lot of the teams so far haven't been in top form so :u

Are you Canadian?
I live in the USA, but can't find myself supporting them. I only have one love and that's my country Mexico :3
Digitally Enhanced Gasm
Are you Canadian?

nah, i'm norwegian.
but it's an easy mistake to make
the similarities are startling.

Wealthy Genius

11,600 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Profitable 100
  • Market Browser 100
I support Netherlands. cool

Dapper Codger

boulingerie
Digitally Enhanced Gasm
Are you Canadian?

nah, i'm norwegian.
but it's an easy mistake to make
the similarities are startling.

Oh yes, it's gotta be hard to be Norweigan football fan, seeing so many succesful players from Sweden and Denmark.
But surely if Norway played The Netherlands you'd support Norway right?

Dapper Codger

Scuzu
I live in the USA, but can't find myself supporting them. I only have one love and that's my country Mexico :3

You must have ties to Mexico, that's acceptable.

Sentai

19,375 Points
  • Hotblooded Hero 50
  • Battle: KO 200
  • Cool Cat 500
many americans are immigrants or 2nd or 3rd generations. they have more of a connection to where they are from/where their families are from than they do with the usmnt. it's the bepe rossi syndrome. while he's very much an american he's got more of a connection to italy when it comes to his love of football so he chose to play for italy instead of the usa. there's a lot of mexican and american youth players that fall under this as well.

on the other hand america has players like jóhannsson who was called up to play for iceland once but never did and instead decided to play for the usmnt. julian green played for the german u16, u17, and u19 teams but declared to play for the usa instead.

we're a complex nation made up of a lot of people. it's not as simple for some people as just rooting for the usa.

as a white person however if i were to root for every team i had an affiliation to i'd have to root for pretty much every single uefa side. personally i want the usa to win but if not then pls argentina because 1. i want to see brazil crey and 2. messi needs his world cup

Dapper Codger

Hitachin
Digitally Enhanced Gasm

Yep. If there was ever a chance that USA would get into the top 16 and higher, it would be this year. Going by qualifiers, the USA team in the past is no where near as good as the USA team this year.

Yeah, bold move by not taking some of the older players but Australia have done the exact same thing, the plan is to take a group of young players to as many big international games as possible to ready them up for the Asian cup next year and Russia 2018.

Dapper Codger

laughter7
many americans are immigrants or 2nd or 3rd generations. they have more of a connection to where they are from/where their families are from than they do with the usmnt. it's the bepe rossi syndrome. while he's very much an american he's got more of a connection to italy when it comes to his love of football so he chose to play for italy instead of the usa. there's a lot of mexican and american youth players that fall under this as well.

on the other hand america has players like jóhannsson who was called up to play for iceland once but never did and instead decided to play for the usmnt. julian green played for the german u16, u17, and u19 teams but declared to play for the usa instead.

we're a complex nation made up of a lot of people. it's not as simple for some people as just rooting for the usa.

as a white person however if i were to root for every team i had an affiliation to i'd have to root for pretty much every single uefa side. personally i want the usa to win but if not then pls argentina because 1. i want to see brazil crey and 2. messi needs his world cup

I said in my first post I have no problem with people supporting teams they have family ties to but that doesn't simply include where your name is from.
I understand player drain to other countries and naturalised citizens wanting to play for us, Rhys Williams represented Wales at youth level and now plays for Australia, one of our greatest ever, Tim Cahill represented American Samoa and wanted to play for Ireland.
Italian legend Christian Vieri could have played for Australia and many Croatian players could have represented us as well.
Digitally Enhanced Gasm
Oh yes, it's gotta be hard to be Norweigan football fan, seeing so many succesful players from Sweden and Denmark.

yes.
and then i'd cry when we lose. ; A ;

we have successful players too!
…okay, we had solskjær and riise. :u BUT THEY WERE GOOD
i crowed with glee when sweden and denmark didn't qualify this year AHAHAH NO WORLD CUP FOR YOU
but if they were ii'd have supported them because lbr scandinavia is essentially just one country

but i do agree that people supporting countries they don't have any/strong ties to gets annoying
the thing that really annoys me though is when americans do it
because some people identify not only as american but also, like, armenian and german and scottish based on their family's ethnicity.
it's like… well, decide goddamnit. if you're german, be german, don't be german and like four other things. :u
I know what you mean, it's disappointing when people feel a connection between something they have no attachment to at all. The motive behind the reason to adopt a team as your own seems to be for the purpose of recognition and acceptance by others.

It's common for many people to support the most popular team, as they feel a connection that the teams success is there own success. it's like a false sense of security to use as an excuse to get involved socially in football. Would some one still support the team there behind if they weren't successful ? Probably not, so really that explains why they support the team in the 1st place. I don't know, this is the best I can do. It's different in parts of the world, I know many europeans, who vigorously support the team from the city they grew up in, usually small clubs , who play in second division ,and do so because this is where they come from. But it's completely different for some lads I know who aren't from europe and don't have the same passion for football and pride in where they came from.

Dapper Codger

boulingerie
Digitally Enhanced Gasm

yes.
and then i'd cry when we lose. ; A ;

we have successful players too!
…okay, we had solskjær and riise. :u BUT THEY WERE GOOD
i crowed with glee when sweden and denmark didn't qualify this year AHAHAH NO WORLD CUP FOR YOU
but if they were ii'd have supported them because lbr scandinavia is essentially just one country

but i do agree that people supporting countries they don't have any/strong ties to gets annoying
the thing that really annoys me though is when americans do it
because some people identify not only as american but also, like, armenian and german and scottish based on their family's ethnicity.
it's like… well, decide goddamnit. if you're german, be german, don't be german and like four other things. :u

Yeah, I used to be quite big on my Irish heritage then I realised it didn't count for much and being Australian was pretty awesome on the international stage regardless, I don't care where my dad was born, I was born here and I choose to live here, give me Sydney over Belfast any day.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff