Welcome to Gaia! ::

At least when I lived there it was mostly a kids and girls sport.
But seeing as the US has been doing better in recent World Cups and Im sure Beckham gave soccer a lot of positive media in the US, is the soccer scenario in America getting bigger?

antotaku's Kouhai

To be quite frank, it's not that big. But, if you can compete, the US wants in. :3

Dapper Conversationalist

8,100 Points
  • The Perfect Setup 150
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Forum Sophomore 300
Its all about the American football. It seems no one cares about real football. I grew up half in the states and half in Germany. It's more like a big community thing but they don't seem to care too much professionally.

Professional soccer players in the U.S. are treated like professional sports players.
Professional American Football players in the U.S. are treated like professional celebrities.
Not that they don't have to work excruciatingly hard as well. It's just perceptive of the people.

Dapper Conversationalist

8,100 Points
  • The Perfect Setup 150
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Forum Sophomore 300
and pengie pop I love your siggy.
Staticrevenge
Its all about the American football. It seems no one cares about real football. I grew up half in the states and half in Germany. It's more like a big community thing but they don't seem to care too much professionally.

Professional soccer players in the U.S. are treated like professional sports players.
Professional American Football players in the U.S. are treated like professional celebrities.
Not that they don't have to work excruciatingly hard as well. It's just perceptive of the people.

Yeah I noticed that when I lived in Florida..
The Super Bowl is huuuge.
Come World Cup time though half the population doesn't even care.
Completely baffles me because literally every other place I've ever been (Brazil, France, Portugal, England) completely love football.. real football that is.

Lonely Autobiographer

6,300 Points
  • Wall Street 200
  • Invisibility 100
  • Tycoon 200
Soccer is big enough in schools, (but not so much as "Football" ).
You never see games on TV, nor see it advertised as much. The normal American could probably care less.

Its such a big contrast compared to Montreal...
I remember four years ago when Italy won. There was pretty much a big city-wide parade in the streets!

Dapper Conversationalist

8,100 Points
  • The Perfect Setup 150
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Forum Sophomore 300
Eh, people will tell you it's a European thing to love soccer, however it's a "rest of the world thing" to be correct.

And being American and a military kid I can also whine about how we use AM & PM instead of a 24 hour clock like the rest of the world which is confusing when you're trying to figure out how to call anyone outside the U.S. or set up an online conference call. razz

It's okay though. It's like we're in a cool little cult if you like soccer in the U.S. biggrin feel special.

Dapper Conversationalist

8,100 Points
  • The Perfect Setup 150
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Forum Sophomore 300
You'll also notice most of the Americans who like soccer a ton have either been playing it since they were little and never stopped or played football, hate football, or have lived in another country.

razz

antotaku's Kouhai

You know what the problem with soccer is for Americans? It doesn't reel in money. It's 45 minutes and then another 45 minutes. There's no time for commercials.
Yeah I've tried watching american football a lot of times.... I can't.
The game stops all the time, there's so many commercials... I can't stand it.

Kawaii Shounen

User Image
Δятнʋя Ƙιяκℓαи∂ | Єиɢℓαи∂
One ball, One World!

__________________________User Image
US team is really fake

they have players that aren't Americans

so I really don't care US.

Bibliophile

I've been playing soccer since I was seven and to be honest, all the support any team I was ever on got was completely from the families of the players.

I played in quite a few empty stadiums in high school. I suppose the support is bigger now from then though.

I don't think it could ever be as big as Europe though. We will probably never have a serious league, because all the serious players want to play in Europe.

Dapper Conversationalist

8,100 Points
  • The Perfect Setup 150
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Forum Sophomore 300
Part of it has to do with America's layout. If we had state teams compete to go to FIFA it may work better. I mean the reason we stick to American football is because that is what we know and no one wants to give it up for soccer just like how our football won't take off in Europe.

You can drive 8 hours and go through more than one country in Europe. You drive eight hours you may barely make it out of one state if you're crossing the U.S.A. We are more widespread thus the competition doesn't thrill us.

Not to mention the party is overseas.

I put a U.S. Flag on my car the first thought isn't "Oh she's rooting for team usa FIFA WORLD CUP 2010"
it's oh...she must be military. or She's very patriotic.

I don't really foresee those huge screens in NYC playing the world cup and people partying over it in the streets like they do in Europe happening here in the states.

I do miss it though!

and you can bet your butt I'll be in Germany next year for the womens cup. smile
generic altercation
Staticrevenge

Yeah I noticed that when I lived in Florida..
The Super Bowl is huuuge.
Come World Cup time though half the population doesn't even care.
Completely baffles me because literally every other place I've ever been (Brazil, France, Portugal, England) completely love football.. real football that is.

I LOVEE FOOOTBALL MAN !
CUZ AM FROM ENGLAND.....................
Soccer is actually getting much bigger in the US, especially in schools. Football is very popular during the season, and ESPECIALLY around the Superbowl. Soccer though is almost as popular during the World Cup. I'm really thinking soccer is steadily getting bigger in the states every year-- and that's a good thing, it's a great sport. Personally I like watching soccer games better than football games, other than the Superbowl of course. Soccer is just more interesting to watch. smile

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff