Welcome to Gaia! ::

7,300 Points
  • Full closet 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Citizen 200
Yeah....the 500m.

I think, however, reading over my posts, that I have gotten the nationalities mixed up. It was a Canadian who went down next to Ohno in the 500m, while the Korean, who was in 2nd, just fell on his own. So, switch Canadian for Korean.....my point still remains.
didn't really fall on his own if you look really carefully.

and yeah, if you want to bring up ohno's past races besides the one I'm talking about,
you're welcome to debate the 2002 olympics with me as well.

7,300 Points
  • Full closet 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Citizen 200
I disagree. I watched the replays carefully, and there is no indication that Ohno pushed.

I'm not going to debate any other races with you, because those are long past and the details blurry.

And having made my case, which is obviously not doing anything against your bias, I'm going to bed because I have to get up early tomorrow and go to work.
and I think you should consider how you're defending him and what I'm saying.
I'm not saying he's the only one who ever cheats in the skating races.

no matter what race he's racing in, he always seems to put his gentle little hand on another racer to get ahead while they spin off uncontrollably. fine. you can say that's because he's trying to stay balanced or whatever.
ever notice how he taunted the korean racers after they fell in the other race?

and what's more is that you're defending him on the grounds that he set up in an interview? are you kidding me? visually looking at the footage, you could interpret things differently, and I understand that. but what does his interview have anything to do with this?
lizstar
I disagree. I watched the replays carefully, and there is no indication that Ohno pushed.

I'm not going to debate any other races with you, because those are long past and the details blurry.

And having made my case, which is obviously not doing anything against your bias, I'm going to bed because I have to get up early tomorrow and go to work.

I'm talking about hamelin's push on si-bak, not ohno. ohno pushed the other guy out.
and the details aren't blurry because there are still a lot of footages out.
and what bias are you referring to, exactly?
anytime someone makes a comment out against ohno, they obviously have a bias against him?
http://blog.naver.com/ghdwns960?Redirect=Log&logNo=90082164774&vid=0

just watch this to the end
and tell me he's still a great skater.

Adorable Waffles

21,700 Points
  • Waffles! 25
  • Noble Shade 100
  • Protector of Cuteness 150
Hey, bickering about the results/calls is part of the fun in watching sports. razz

Anyway, I think the judges should have called for a rematch. There were just way too many things going on in that last turn.

I do think Apolo pushed that Canadian. He said it was a "cushion defensive" move, but he's been called out so many times for cheating (whether he gets disqualified or not) that he should think about his integrity along with the results, and maybe not put up his hand anymore for ambiguous calls. I mean, he was last place in the last turn and his hand touched 3rd place right before 3rd fell, so of course it looks suspicious. If he did purposely touch the Canadian, then he should learn to admit defeat graciously.

And, I'd heard of Apolo and his history with the Koreans, so I may have had a bias against him, but I actually was warming up to him while watching this Olympics until today. There's just so much foul play around him, but he always gets lucky! In almost every crash, he evades it from behind and wins a medal! And I thought he was charming (and pretty handsome admittedly =_=) but I see now that he's just very sly!! eek

As for Shibek and that Canadian that won first place (I should really memorize their names =_=), it was just too controversial! I think a rematch would've been a fair call. crying Considering the commotion behind them caused by Apolo, it looked like the Canadian lightly touched Shibek first which may be the reason why it looked like Shibek held his foot for a second after.

First that darn Hosuk pushes him out of the race, and now this. crying I think Shibek deserved the gold. crying
badtzmaru
Hey, bickering about the results/calls is part of the fun in watching sports. razz

Anyway, I think the judges should have called for a rematch. There were just way too many things going on in that last turn.

I do think Apolo pushed that Canadian. He said it was a "cushion defensive" move, but he's been called out so many times for cheating (whether he gets disqualified or not) that he should think about his integrity along with the results, and maybe not put up his hand anymore for ambiguous calls. I mean, he was last place in the last turn and his hand touched 3rd place, so of course it looks suspicious. If he did purposely touch the Canadian, then he should learn to admit defeat graciously.

And, I'd heard of Apolo and his history with the Koreans, so I may have had a bias against him, but I actually was warming up to him while watching this Olympics until today. There's just so much foul play around him, but he always gets lucky! In almost every crash, he evades it from behind and wins a medal! And I thought he was charming (and pretty handsome admittedly =_=) but I see now that he's just very sly!! eek

As for Shibek and that Canadian that won first place (I should really memorize their names =_=), it was just too controversial! I think a rematch would've been a fair call. crying Considering the commotion behind them caused by Apolo, it looked like the Canadian lightly touched Shibek first which may be the reason why it looked like Shibek held his foot for a second after.

First that darn Hosuk pushes him out of the race, and now this. crying I think Shibek deserved the gold. crying

ugh, yeah,
it really breaks my heart to see someone trying so hard to get a gold medal while other people are constantly interfering with his chances.
and seriously, you can't say that for everytime you touch a guy and that guy spins off/falls it was some sort of a legitimate technique. it's called plain old cheating and no amount of interviews is going to change that.
oh, uh, lizstar, forgot to ask
what kind of move is it
when you're skating
and you place your hand on a skater's knee
to get a leverage and push yourself out?
badtzmaru

I do think Apolo pushed that Canadian. He said it was a "cushion defensive" move, but he's been called out so many times for cheating (whether he gets disqualified or not) that he should think about his integrity along with the results, and maybe not put up his hand anymore for ambiguous calls. I mean, he was last place in the last turn and his hand touched 3rd place right before 3rd fell, so of course it looks suspicious. If he did purposely touch the Canadian, then he should learn to admit defeat graciously.

I agree with this to a T haha
He's a cutie rolleyes rolleyes , but why is it that whenever there seems to be a controversy in speed skating, he's involved?? I mean, that's really suspicious, but you can't deny that he's a REALLY good skater.
I dont know...and did you hear his comments after the race about the ref? How since there were 2 canadian skaters and the ref happened to be a canadian too??

I thought he was really inspiring, and then he got caught up in this.
lizstar
It is not a ridiculous interpretation. It is a very logical one, and one that Ohno himself explained very clearly in his interview after the race. Even the commentators on the race said that they felt the disqualification was unjustified and it looked like Ohno did not push him.

Huh? Are you by any chance watching this on NBC?
lizstar

It is not a ridiculous interpretation. It is a very logical one, and one that Ohno himself explained very clearly in his interview after the race. Even the commentators on the race said that they felt the disqualification was unjustified and it looked like Ohno did not push him.

If you really want to get into the nitty-gritty....watch a slow-mo replay, especially of the 500m. Ohno's hand goes up, but not out. There is no forward motion, no pushing motion to his hand or arm. If anything, his hand starts moving away slightly before the Korean starts to slide out. And, you can see the Korean's hand flailing for balance, grabbing at Ohno's ankle as he begins to fall.

Furthermore, he is a three-time Olympian. If he was a cheater, someone would have called him on in long ago. He is a clean, skillful racer.
User Image

Osaka: Chiyo-chan! Why are you flying?
Chiyo: I'm ten years old!

Agreed. I'm just upset that there was no questioning over Hamelin, who had his hand on the Korean as well.

I just wish they would use referees from non-competing countries of the sporting event. This would settle all of the weird little controversy and biased tension....(not saying it had anything to do with the call...but then you never know gonk )

User Image
I saw God the other day.
It's a God that only I can see.
A black winged angel that came down from the heavens
just for me.

Adorable Waffles

21,700 Points
  • Waffles! 25
  • Noble Shade 100
  • Protector of Cuteness 150
SakuranboNeko
Agreed. I'm just upset that there was no questioning over Hamelin, who had his hand on the Korean as well.

I just wish they would use referees from non-competing countries of the sporting event. This would settle all of the weird little controversy and biased tension....(not saying it had anything to do with the call...but then you never know gonk )
Mario Kinnikuman
I highly disagree with the judge's decision on account of disqualifying Ohno, while Hamelin remained unaffected after still technically making contact with Shibek. I can't help but be suspicious. Yes, though it's apparent that Ohno made contact, it still remains only apparent. His hand was raised to negotiate room when passing. Feel free to disagree, but that's my viewpoint on it.
They're right--if Apolo was called, then they should've called Hamelin/Shibek, too.

I can't help but agree that I also felt there was something fishy about the judging this game. confused If only they'd called a rematch. Oh well.
I don't think he's a sore loser as someone said before. If he were, he would have claim sth after being DQ'd but he didn't. Anyway, I agree with badtzmaru, the rematch would have been the best thing...and this is not the only competition in wich there was something fishy sweatdrop but that's part of sport
Vale-Vane
I don't think he's a sore loser as someone said before. If he were, he would have claim sth after being DQ'd but he didn't. Anyway, I agree with badtzmaru, the rematch would have been the best thing...and this is not the only competition in wich there was something fishy sweatdrop but that's part of sport

I heard that alot during the Beijing Summer Olympics 2008 when China won agains USA in som of the competitions as well.

I'm sure there will be more of these *fishy* businesses against US Teams in the upcoming London 2012 and Sochi 2014. rolleyes

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff