Welcome to Gaia! ::

-Shady Mooo-'s Husband

Sexy Marshmallow

21,900 Points
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Pie Feeder 50
  • V-Day 2011 Event 100
Alright, now, if anyone knows anything about Sherlock it is that he and Mycroft have an 'older brother', they say so in the show!

His Last Vow

"Don't be absurd. I'm not given to outbursts of brotherly compassion. You know what happened to the other one."

But for those who know the truth this is not true, it was the name that was chosen for Sherlock before Sherlock was chosen (seriously, does Doyle have a thing for strange names? XD) and was said to be smarter then even Mycroft and Sherlock combined.

He was first proposed by William S. Baring-Gould who wrote in his famous 'biography' "Sherlock Holmes of Baker Street" that Sherrinford was the eldest brother of Sherlock Holmes. Holmes once stated that his family were country squires, which means that the eldest brother would have to stay to manage the house. If Mycroft were the eldest then he couldn't play the role he does in four stories of the Sherlock Holmes canon, so Sherrinford frees them both. This position is strengthened by the fact that Mycroft's general position as a senior civil servant was a common choice among the younger

So the question is, your thoughts? What would you think if Sherlock and Mycroft DID have an older brother, one who was smarter then them both? You happy with just the two or would a third be a nice mix to the stories? Even if he did have to stay at home and may only appear once in a blue moon.

Loyal Rabbit

12,725 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Tested Practitioner 250
  • Perfect Attendance 400
An older brother that's smarter than both Sherlock and Mycroft? That'd be interesting to see, and in a useless fun fact a teacher once told me, genetically, the oldest sibling is generally smarter.

However. I think it'd ruin the 'balance' between Sherlock and Mycroft. I have two younger siblings, and I can tell you how it works. While two siblings are filled with their sibling rivalry, when there are three siblings, two side together to 'overthrow' the other, usually the two youngest against the oldest. I've observed that with friends and their siblings as well. And it's almost impossible for me to imagine Sherlock and Mycroft to side together to outsmart a possible older brother.

Of course, this is just an opinion, and I'd be more than happy to dig deep on that matter.

Witty Bookworm

10,550 Points
  • Champion 300
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Timid 100
I won't lie, as soon as Mycroft mentioned "the other one," my mind immediately jumped to, "Sherrinford?!?"

I'm not sure if they'd work something like that into the show--and I'd be weary if they did. We already have a new main character added into the mix (Mary), also Sherlock and Mycroft's parents, Bill Wiggins looks like he might stick around, and possibly another new character coming in at some point (baby!Watson). Another new character might be a bit much. Besides, judging from what Mycroft said, I'm pretty sure that "the other one" is either dead or in exile or something like that.

Devoted Explorer

I kind of thought that the implication was that the other brother was sent on a super dangerous spy mission where he, presumably, did not return.

Romantic Otaku

13,100 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Flatterer 200
  • Nudist Colony 200
I thought that too. I think he went crazy with all that super brain and is now on mental prison. razz
heart I WAS WRITING A REPLY WHEN I HAD A SUDDEN BURST OF REALIZATION!!! I've never for one minute believed that Moriarty is still alive. If he was, he'd have used an actual video with his actual voice. I assumed it was maybe Mary or Mycroft, as a means to keep Sherlock from having to go on that mission. BUT WHAT IF IT WAS THE THIRD BROTHER. NOW THAT I'VE THOUGHT OF IT, I'M ALMOST CERTAIN THAT IT'S TRUE!!! AND IF IT IS THE THIRD BROTHER, I THINK HE'S GOING TO BE A VILLAIN, AND HE'S GOING TO TAKE MORIARTY'S PLACE. I CAN't EVEN TYPE ALL MY REASONING INTO A COHERENT POST BECAUSE I'M SPAZZING OUT. heart

Destructive Detective

19,200 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Cat Fancier 100
Why not Sigerson Holmes? He was an entertaining extra-canonical character, albeit the youngest of the Holmes brothers. I didn't hear Mycroft say that their brother was the eldest.

As for why Mycroft is not in charge of their country home, one might well presume that the family's fortunes declined and they lost the home.

Vermillion Star

wow you know i never thought about it but he is a character i wonder what hed be like in the show

Magical Marshmallow

22,600 Points
  • Magical Girl 50
  • Cat Fancier 100
  • Monster Hunter 100
Word was going around Tumblr that Hiddleston would make an excellent Holmes brother.

I'm fond of Tom, but I'm not sure he needs to be in everything. wink

Retro Punk

it would be neat. But i think the creators are going to stick to canon for now.

-Shady Mooo-'s Husband

Sexy Marshmallow

21,900 Points
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Pie Feeder 50
  • V-Day 2011 Event 100
Guin - Aoiichi

The thing is, IF it is to be believed, they ARE actually going to stick him into the next season, I saw the article posted on Google+ ages ago (and now can't find it) but it mentioned that Mycroft is wanting to add Sherrinford into the show in the next season and thus making that Sherlock line "I am not given to outbursts of brotherly compassion. You know what happened to the other one” wasn't just a random throw away line but one foreshadowing that it could possibly be true.

Retro Punk

Nafretiti
Guin - Aoiichi

The thing is, IF it is to be believed, they ARE actually going to stick him into the next season, I saw the article posted on Google+ ages ago (and now can't find it) but it mentioned that Mycroft is wanting to add Sherrinford into the show in the next season and thus making that Sherlock line "I am not given to outbursts of brotherly compassion. You know what happened to the other one” wasn't just a random throw away line but one foreshadowing that it could possibly be true.

So what you are saying is that the "older brother" is not canon? And they might do a backstory for him in season four.

-Shady Mooo-'s Husband

Sexy Marshmallow

21,900 Points
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Pie Feeder 50
  • V-Day 2011 Event 100
Guin - Aoiichi
Nafretiti
Guin - Aoiichi

So what you are saying is that the "older brother" is not canon? And they might do a backstory for him in season four.

The 'older brother' has never been canon, Sherrinford was the name Sherlock was GOING to be named but Doyle decided on Sherlock instead.

And yep, they are, if the article I read is true. season 4 will probably have Sherrinford in it.

Retro Punk

Nafretiti
Guin - Aoiichi
Nafretiti
Guin - Aoiichi

The 'older brother' has never been canon, Sherrinford was the name Sherlock was GOING to be named but Doyle decided on Sherlock instead.

And yep, they are, if the article I read is true. season 4 will probably have Sherrinford in it.

Ah , well maybe we'll see him in flashbacks. I mean Mycroft sort of implies he is dead. Or at least that is the impression i got. It would be neat if the "brother" came back as a villain. But i don't know that seems to me a Little too cliche.
I DIDN'T KNOW I NEEDED THIS UNTIL I SAW THIS POST!!!

Although, seriously, I've been trying to figure out the deal with that throwaway line about the other one for ages. My sister and I absolutely screamed. My thought was that maybe this mysterious third brother and whatever ended up happening with him may be the reason that Mycroft and Sherlock are always at odds, but why Mycroft is still so determined to protect Sherlock? Because as an older sibling myself, I know that if I was ever the cause of something horrible happening to one of my younger siblings, then I would be awfully fierce in protecting the others.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff